Author Topic: Dubster2 - '91 16v with hot interior :)  (Read 52066 times)

Offline Dubster2

• I live here
  • Dubs forever!
Re: Dubster2 - '91 16v with hot interior :)
« Reply #10 on: 11 July 2007, 23:26 »
I finally got the interior I had been after for quite a while- a very rare Edition one 16V Recaro set! I nearly bought them from John last year, then regretted not buying them and missed out when I decided that I did want them again, as Vaughn beat me to them! Luckily he later put them up for sale when he got his G60!

But before I fitted it into my car, I needed to bring it back to it's former glory!

Here's how it was when I first got it:

Driver's side front door card.

Passenger side door card.

Driver's side rear card.

Passenger side rear card.

Rear seat.

Rear shelf.

Both front seats.

Front driver's seat.

Front passenger seat.

Front seat switch panels.

Broken front seat subframe.

Front seat subframes.

« Last Edit: 04 November 2007, 03:37 by Dubster2 »

Offline Dubster2

• I live here
  • Dubs forever!
« Reply #11 on: 24 July 2007, 20:31 »
This is what came out of the interior, even though some of it wasn't too bad!:

Did some fibre-glass resin repairs to the bottom of one door card. It had loads of rusty staple in, plus a few bits of card and it was a bit soft in places. Also stuck the material down where it had lifted in a few areas:

Now cleaned-up!

Front seats.

Passenger side front seat.

Rear seat.

Front seat subframes.

Front seat switch panels.

In car with new chrome door handles!

Replaced the knackered cardboard back with another one and then covered it with thin carpet and placed it back!

Got to fit my carpetted boot sides next!
« Last Edit: 04 November 2007, 03:32 by Dubster2 »

Offline Dubster2

• I live here
  • Dubs forever!
« Reply #12 on: 24 September 2007, 21:40 »
Had the engine cleaned on Saturday, the spent another two hours cleaning and polishing it! Also did lots more cleaning until 10pm on the Saturday night! This was it the Monday after:

Won a prize at the VW Expo show!  :smiley:

Changed the rear lights to smoked crystal ones which look more like the original ones:

Weitec Hi-con GT coilovers and genuine G60 topmounts:

Have these new poly-bushed wishbones to fit shortly with new ball-joints:

New Tryes and Wolfsburg Edition badges:

Also Chromalux glass and Edition one badge on bonnet to bring it up to Edition one 16V spec:

New ultra rare original VW rear spoiler with brake light:

Pics of the boot and door catches etc to come! Car audio and secret thing also to come later!
« Last Edit: 04 November 2007, 22:19 by Dubster2 »

Offline Dubster2

• I live here
  • Dubs forever!
« Reply #13 on: 05 October 2007, 03:25 »
Finally got on with sound-proofing my boot as I wanted to try and make it a little quieter and also ready for the audio upgrade. I've probably gone a bit OTT with some of this, but what the hell! It should help a little more and certainly won't be worse!

The original post '90 spec foamy type boot side carpets with the black shelf supports and shelf:

Was a bit moudly and dirty before I cleaned it up (see later pic of other side of how it looked)!

All covered:

C pillars covered on the inside

The dirty & moudly drivers's side:

Cleaned up:

Now covered:

Some of the rear panel with a cut-out for the car details (will cover this with some carpet soon):

The boot floor once cleaned:

Now covered:

With another layer to match the sides:

Under the seat:

Some under-carpet wadding sound-proofing:

New boot side carpets with Edition one shelf supports (will add betetr pics of these later):

Edition one rear shelf and shelf supports:
« Last Edit: 06 October 2007, 11:03 by Dubster2 »

Offline Dubster2

• I live here
  • Dubs forever!
« Reply #14 on: 04 November 2007, 02:52 »
Some teklite soundproofing on the inside of the doors (already put some normal sound deadening on the insides of the doors underneath this):

Some on top of the door skin membrane:

Some on the back of the Audioscape sub box which I recently bought:

Inside of the front door cards:

Front door cards with Audioscape door pods with a couple of coats of liquid soundproofing on the insides:

With the Rainbow CMX-265 16cm front components speakers:

« Last Edit: 24 December 2007, 02:46 by Dubster2 »

Offline Dubster2

• I live here
  • Dubs forever!
« Reply #15 on: 18 November 2007, 23:18 »
Decided to give it a long overdue proper polish and as I don't normally polish it as much over the winter due to no shows and not so good weather, so I wanted to give it some good protection for the winter months. I used Farrecla G10, then Dodo juice Lime & prime pre-wax cleaner, then Meguiars show car glaze sealant no.7, then Chemical guys Jetseal 109, then another coat of the same 20+ minutes later, then Collinite 845 wax insulater wax and another coat of it a day or so later. I masked the black trim off as with polishing the car several times there was a high chance of getting polish etc on the trim + it makes it quicker as you don't have to be so careful around the black trim if it's masked off!

First I did the driver's side, the back and inside the hatch. I didn't do it all in one go as I knew that there was no way that I'd do it in one day + it would take quite a while to mask the whole car again!

Secondly I did the passenger side and the front, then the third time the roof! I also managed to restore my sunroof felt that I had previously thought was knackered as it looked hard and sometimes had green stuff growing out of it! Most of all this came off and mostly looks like new now!

Some pics of after. Can't really show the shine off properly as ther weather hasn't been right and now with dark evenings I can only do daylight pics on the weekends!:

Water beading after raining!:

Have put two coats of Jetseal on the rear wheels and just have the front wheels to do, plus the various polishes and waxes on the door shuts etc.
« Last Edit: 19 November 2007, 00:24 by Dubster2 »

Offline Dubster2

• I live here
  • Dubs forever!
« Reply #16 on: 02 December 2007, 23:39 »
Some night shots! Left it a bit late to get some before it gets dark! Don't like short winter days, so much less time to do stuff outside!:

Offline Dubster2

• I live here
  • Dubs forever!
« Reply #17 on: 08 December 2007, 03:19 »
Here's the latest sound-proofing and audio:

Offline Dubster2

• I live here
  • Dubs forever!
« Reply #18 on: 30 January 2008, 08:01 »
Some new boring bits!:

New genuine VW door handles as a part on one broke abd the other one, was always tricky but had got worse and you needed two hands to undo it!:

New window scraper seals as the old ones had gone hard and let water down inside the doors:

New bonnet catch as the old one wouldn't spring back whatever I did to it! I also had a bonnet flying open incident because of it a while back!:

New Bosch silver+ 61A, 600CCA battery as the old one started going flat on me!:

Offline Dubster2

• I live here
  • Dubs forever!
« Reply #19 on: 18 February 2008, 00:34 »
Just got my new rear 7x5 speakers to replace my existing 6x4's. Gonna be a git to fit with a fair bit of modding! Going to also need to lower the top of my Audioscape boot side sub box!  :confused:  This is the difference between the 6x4's and the 7x5's:

Put speaker clothe over the grills:

New oil filler cap: