Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 654519 times)

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #1620 on: 19 June 2014, 20:46 »
Yeah they're 19s. 

Perish the thought of having mismatched tyres  :shocked:  Conti SC5p all round for me - brilliant tyres.  My second choice would be Eagle F1s though.  I'm just glad I don't have to replace all four at once.

I just priced a full set of 225/35/19 F1s...£170 each, fitted and balanced. Ouch.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1621 on: 19 June 2014, 21:06 »
Yeah they're 19s. 

Perish the thought of having mismatched tyres  :shocked:  Conti SC5p all round for me - brilliant tyres.  My second choice would be Eagle F1s though.  I'm just glad I don't have to replace all four at once.

I just priced a full set of 225/35/19 F1s...£170 each, fitted and balanced. Ouch.

Mine are a positive bargain at £166 each then.  I feel much better now :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #1622 on: 19 June 2014, 21:59 »
Yeah they're 19s. 

t

Mine are a positive bargain at £166 each then.  I feel much better now :grin:
Lol :grin:
Man logics
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.

Offline JayGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1623 on: 20 June 2014, 16:57 »
Just washed it, polished it, and waxed it! Can't beat a clean black car. Until you walk up close and see swirl marks and stone chips..that's when your heart breaks after spending 3 hours making it look like a mirror

As did my friend who owns a BMW F20

« Last Edit: 20 June 2014, 17:30 by JayGTD »
Deep black pearl GTD | 18" Charleston wheels | Kenwood DNX520VBT | VWR Springs | GTI backbox and diffuser | Red grill stripes | Bi-xenon LED Projector's with 6000K HID's | Full interior LED conversion | LED Number plate lights | Heko wind deflectors | JDM Broadway Rearview mirror | GTD Seat inserts | Stage 1+ remap | Vagcom gauge sweep | Vagcom large digital speedo | Vagcom teardrop wipers | WIFI OB2 connector w/ Dashcommands |

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1624 on: 20 June 2014, 17:18 »
Prefer your golf, looks great  :cool: 

Did the polishing not get rid of many swirls?  Maybe you need to use a more abrasive polish compound and/or pad with a deeper cut.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JayGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1625 on: 20 June 2014, 17:21 »

Did the polishing not get rid of many swirls?  Maybe you need to use a more abrasive polish compound and/or pad with a deeper cut.

Haha thanks! Look the the difference in wheel arch gap :p
I didn't really take note, but i just hand polished using a maguiars pad and some quick detailer's polish rather than a machine polish..too scared to use a machine polish in case i cut away too much

Jay
Deep black pearl GTD | 18" Charleston wheels | Kenwood DNX520VBT | VWR Springs | GTI backbox and diffuser | Red grill stripes | Bi-xenon LED Projector's with 6000K HID's | Full interior LED conversion | LED Number plate lights | Heko wind deflectors | JDM Broadway Rearview mirror | GTD Seat inserts | Stage 1+ remap | Vagcom gauge sweep | Vagcom large digital speedo | Vagcom teardrop wipers | WIFI OB2 connector w/ Dashcommands |

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #1626 on: 20 June 2014, 18:53 »

I didn't really take note, but i just hand polished using a maguiars pad and some quick detailer's polish rather than a machine polish..too scared to use a machine polish in case i cut away too much

Jay

Seriously Jay, machine polishing with a Dual Action is so easy, there is 0% percent chance of you doing damage you you start off easy and work you way up. I was nervous at first and now it a breeze, you could seriously do it with a blind fold on. Best move i ever made was picking up a DA polisher.

MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #1627 on: 20 June 2014, 18:54 »
these bad boys turned up today, just need some braided lines. Cant wait for the extra stopping power  :cool: :cool:

MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1628 on: 20 June 2014, 19:13 »

Jay

Yeah, massive gap.  Thought mine was bad on 19s and unlowered, but that's worse  :grin:

Seriously Jay, machine polishing with a Dual Action is so easy, there is 0% percent chance of you doing damage you you start off easy and work you way up. I was nervous at first and now it a breeze, you could seriously do it with a blind fold on. Best move i ever made was picking up a DA polisher.

^^
'Tis true.  I did a practice run on my partners van before letting loose on my car for the first time, it was absolutely fine.  Depending on the degree of swirling / marring, just start off with the least abrasive pad and polish and off you go, then check the results and if necessary step up to more abrasive polish and pad.....and so on.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #1629 on: 20 June 2014, 22:09 »
Mine had a good interior clean today. All hoovered out, dash and trim cleaned with Auto Finesse Total and dressed with 303 Aerospace, door shuts cleaned and seals protected with Auto Finesse Revive and all leather cleaned with Auto Finesse Hide and dressed with Raceglaze Leather Balm. No pics unfortunately!

Also tried to update my maps to V10 but tried burning the image file to 2 dvds now, one with windows and one with mac and neither of them seem to be recognised by the unit, which just says CD/DVD error. Hmmmm, may have to find another source to download.

@Jay I haven't had much time at all to practice with my new DA but did a small patch on the bonnet of my girlfriend's corsa the other day and found it really easy to work with. I really need a good light source to check the paint with though and couldn't get a good pic of it. Just have a read of the guides on Detailing world and i also found Junkman2000's videos on Youtube really helpful. I too was worried about trying it and messing up but if you go in with a bit of knowledge from the above sources and be patient I don't think you can go wrong really.

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive