Author Topic: Alloy wheel pitting  (Read 3269 times)

Offline baggiemad

• Not said much yet
Alloy wheel pitting
« on: 22 April 2013, 22:58 »
Can anyone help with removing pitting on my BBS Montreal 2 alloys?

Only seem to get a build up on the rear wheels, i use my car daily and pitting seems to build very quickly over a week ( i try to wash regularly) the whole wheel surface on the rear is fairly pitted.

Have always used a non acidic wheel cleaner as dont want to mess up cenre caps but this wasnt harsh enough.
Tried Iron X which was fantastic but whether i have left the pitting too long before a clean it wont remove all the pitting (see pics)

Is there anything else i can try?
Also anyone else have experience of more build up of pitting on the rear wheels then front? VW pads harsher??

« Last Edit: 05 May 2013, 22:40 by baggiemad »

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
Re: Alloy wheel pitting
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2013, 06:11 »
Clay bar them mate, you'll be amazed what will come off. With regard cleaning try and use a PH neutral products, I used auto finesse Iron Out and that does the trick.

Offline baggiemad

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2013, 19:12 »
is Bilt Hamber any good? i think they do different strengths of clay?

willing to give it a go, plus the car needs claying away :)

Offline gm8

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2013, 19:21 »
edit : as above try claying

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2013, 19:41 »
I've only ever used Auto Glymm clay bar, but in my experience its all about lubrication, make sure both surfaces are kept wet.

MonkeyP

« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2013, 19:54 »
Bilt hamber clay is my preferred clay bar. also you are able to use it with just water. if you want you can make a mixture if shampoo and water in a spray bottle as use that as lubricant.

Iron out will can be left to dwell for a bit long and then agitate with a sash brush. may need a few hits tho. you can even try tardis as it could be tar as well. then clay. clay the car first then use the clay for the wheels.

Hope that helps.

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2013, 10:20 »
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline Pinky 1959

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2013, 21:15 »
As above try Tardis and when u get all the pitting sorted and get a few coats of polish on the wheels then all u do is wash and it should all come off .

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2013, 22:36 »
As above try Tardis and when u get all the pitting sorted and get a few coats of polish on the wheels then all u do is wash and it should all come off .

+1

Tardis plus iron x = winning combination. Then get some protection on there. Protection is the key.

Offline baggiemad

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2013, 21:22 »
cheers guys , will try the iron x paste, then get some proper wheel cleaner , like billberry pro and clay then use my billberry rim wax and hopefully that should remove the pitting and protect :)