Author Topic: So, what are we mk7 owners buying next?  (Read 80873 times)

mjh_056

Re: So, what are we mk7 owners buying next?
« Reply #20 on: 04 April 2016, 13:51 »
Mine is due for change late October and have to choose by May so cannot look at future options though would happily stay with my GTD till the MK 8 came out if it was my choice.

My choice has narrowed significantly as been around the garages and looked at Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and VW in last week.

BMW: Interiors are better than last time looked at them but styling just does not grab me - (Having read the M2 comments, then if not need 5 door and could afford one, then yes, its an exception!  :cool:)
Mercedes: Claustrophobic interiors do it for me.
Lexus: Nice enough but again just do not grab me internally or externally
Audi: Need 5 door but still struggle a little with Sportback styling though Black Edition White Quattro STronic was being considered but the cost of extras for what like as standard has me excluding given I was 50-50 anyway

So am down to three cars from VW

1. Golf R - Having a damn it to economy period and thumbs up to just enjoying a 300 BHP 4WD and main thing pondering is the colour which is between Black (Rebecca photos give a good case) White (Like the contrast on features) and Lapiz (Iconic R colour) - Extras: Pretoria, DCC, Winter Pack, Key-less, Car Play
2/3: GTI (PP) in CSG or Tiguan R Line (really like it, but it will be a comfortable sensible drive and not sure ready for that yet and R gives me that and whole lot more)

So have the choice of some pretty good marque and have openly looked, wanting to be wowed and have head turned but its all been a bit of 'meh' really as walked around the garages and thinking is the R is likely the only car that in my range that would excite me beyond the experience have now with the GTD in the price and model range that selecting in
« Last Edit: 04 April 2016, 15:28 by mjh_056 »

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 04 April 2016, 15:14 »
I'll probably keep my GTI until early next year, but I'm afraid to say my next car won't be a VW. I need something bigger than a Golf and there isn't anything else in the VW range that grabs me. If they did the Passat with the 300bhp R motor, I'd be interested but it's diesel only as far as reasonable power is concerned and the dirty fuel option is a no-go for me.

I'll probably change it for a BMW and either go for a 340i M-Sport Touring, or a 440i Gran Coupe.

That said, I've just put some Michelin PS4 tyres on the GTI and it's totally transformed it. I still love the car so have no problem in keeping it until the end of term (March 2018) if need be.

MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 04 April 2016, 15:34 »
I'll probably keep my GTI until early next year, but I'm afraid to say my next car won't be a VW. I need something bigger than a Golf and there isn't anything else in the VW range that grabs me. If they did the Passat with the 300bhp R motor, I'd be interested but it's diesel only as far as reasonable power is concerned and the dirty fuel option is a no-go for me.

I'll probably change it for a BMW and either go for a 340i M-Sport Touring, or a 440i Gran Coupe.

That said, I've just put some Michelin PS4 tyres on the GTI and it's totally transformed it. I still love the car so have no problem in keeping it until the end of term (March 2018) if need be.
Is there a huge gulf in size between a Passat and a Golf estate?
I was thinking Golf R estate/variant.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 04 April 2016, 15:36 »
If you don't want a diesel then a 330d is a no go but I cant recommend it enough, its by far the best all round car I have ever owned. 

Just done a 1000 mile round trip to cornwall this last week and averaged 48 mpg, with 0-60 performance of 5.6 secs and way more torque than any hot hatch its a brilliant daily driver and can keep up with pretty much most things on the road once moving..

Some very good deals on 3 series at the moment as well, petrol and diesel
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 04 April 2016, 19:27 »
There's a BMW just down the road from me at the moment that looks ok but I've no idea what model it is as what used to be a 3 series 2 door seems to now be a 4 series (I think?) and this looks about the size of a 3 series by maybe a bit shorter and has a fast back profile so only a short boot a bit like the A3 saloon and definitely has four doors. I'd go and have a look but it's raining and also I'd feel a right idiot nosing at the boot of something parked up.
I they did one of those with a huge macho Diesel engine and big wheels I might consider something like that instead of a Golf/Scirocco next.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 04 April 2016, 20:39 »
Absolutely mate, well worth keeping it. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the M2. Just love the look of that car and I think it will hold its value brilliantly

In reality residuals was not high on the agenda but think it will be ok, i ended up going for one of these as wife depleted my Porsche fund on extras on out new house, just liked the idea of it and wanted RWD and just some really connected steering

I think my R will be quicker but just want the added focus of the BMW, it was never going to be may daily

Offline J400uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 04 April 2016, 20:42 »
I got this recently as I was missing petrol power, I've kept my GTD to go with it for the time being  :cool:

The V8 soundtrack is addictive!
2015 Golf GTD 2.0 TDI 184 PS 6-speed DSG 5 Door Tornado Red

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 05 April 2016, 08:36 »

Is there a huge gulf in size between a Passat and a Golf estate?
I was thinking Golf R estate/variant.

Really don't like the look of the Golf estate. Plus, for the pricing it just doesn't stack up.

Was quoted £490 per month on PCP and a £1,500 deposit for an R Wagon to my spec, but was also quoted £1,500 deposit and £488 per month for a fully loaded 340i M-Sport. The cars are in a different league in my opinion, all for the same price. No brainer as far as I'm concerned.
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 05 April 2016, 09:03 »
There's a BMW just down the road from me at the moment that looks ok but I've no idea what model it is as what used to be a 3 series 2 door seems to now be a 4 series (I think?) and this looks about the size of a 3 series by maybe a bit shorter and has a fast back profile so only a short boot a bit like the A3 saloon and definitely has four doors. I'd go and have a look but it's raining and also I'd feel a right idiot nosing at the boot of something parked up.
I they did one of those with a huge macho Diesel engine and big wheels I might consider something like that instead of a Golf/Scirocco next.

Sounds like a 4 series gran coupe its kind of a 4 series coupe with 4 doors - haven't seen many about but I think they look quite decent and run on 3/4 series mechanicals..  you can get them with the big diesel and petrol engine - 430d, 435d (4wd) and 440i petrol - all 3 litre turbos in different states of tune.  8 speed auto box is an absolute peach with that engine because it pretty much always sits in the max torque area of the engine which is over 400 lb ft for the 330d as a minimum.

A lot of people bang on about how you need X drive (4wd) with the bigger engines, but in my experience that isn't the case because the X drive models run on SE (not lower M sport) suspension only so I bought a RWD 330d and in my view its the best all round model in the range because it handles better, sits a bit lower and uses less juice.  I run winter wheels and tyres on it and its as good if not better than 4wd with normal tyres.
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 05 April 2016, 09:04 »

Would it be this one by any chance? A 4-Series Gran Coupe. Very high on my want list. Big boot thanks to a huge hatchback, and a great standard spec (electronic boot opening, heated electric memory seats, professional navigation, along with all the other BMW lovliness). Go for the £1,900 M-Sport Plus pack and you get HarmannKardon super sound system, M-Sport brakes, Tinted glass and the big wheels.