Author Topic: Just Got My Build Week!  (Read 95135 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Just Got My Build Week!
« Reply #10 on: 06 February 2016, 12:04 »
Good to see at least a couple of Tungsten orders there, a great and very overlooked colour. My next order was going to be either Tungsten or Reflex.

Incidentally, there are two posters on this thread who are current GTD owners and there are a few more on here too who are now ordering GTIs; why the swap from black pump to green? Why not add DTUK box to GTD rather than get a GTI? Things like that always intrigue me.
I'm sure the financial incentives to buy a GTI are a big point but I'm just genuinely curious.
I speak as an early GTI (having had a string of them) adopter and now an R owner but I still have a massive respect for the GTDs blend of torque and economy for real world driving.

I started a thread on the subject ages ago and this thread has reminded me of it.

As for dealer communication, with my GTI order being only a few days after the order books opened and the massive uncertainty back then it was a case of "keep an eye on the forums and you'll know as much as me about a likely build date"  :laugh:
It was six months of torture. Thankfully I didn't spec change during the process to delay it further!
With my current car it was a lot easier "I've got three coming into stock, no options, if you want one hurry up and make your mind up" or something very similar to that anyway!!  :grin: :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #11 on: 06 February 2016, 12:13 »
Tungsten's a great colour.
It was my second choice after CG.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 06 February 2016, 21:32 »
Good to see at least a couple of Tungsten orders there, a great and very overlooked colour. My next order was going to be either Tungsten or Reflex.

Incidentally, there are two posters on this thread who are current GTD owners and there are a few more on here too who are now ordering GTIs; why the swap from black pump to green? Why not add DTUK box to GTD rather than get a GTI? Things like that always intrigue me.
I'm sure the financial incentives to buy a GTI are a big point but I'm just genuinely curious.
I speak as an early GTI (having had a string of them) adopter and now an R owner but I still have a massive respect for the GTDs blend of torque and economy for real world driving.

I started a thread on the subject ages ago and this thread has reminded me of it.

As for dealer communication, with my GTI order being only a few days after the order books opened and the massive uncertainty back then it was a case of "keep an eye on the forums and you'll know as much as me about a likely build date"  :laugh:
It was six months of torture. Thankfully I didn't spec change during the process to delay it further!
With my current car it was a lot easier "I've got three coming into stock, no options, if you want one hurry up and make your mind up" or something very similar to that anyway!!  :grin: :whistle:

Changing from GTD to GTi for a couple of reasons. I never really bonded with my GTD. While I admired it as an awesome piece of engineering - quick while cheap to run and rock solid - I never loved it. It always seemed a bit too smooth and progressive to me, never exciting. It's telling that I never have just gone out for a drive in it and I realised the other day that I have never taken any photos of it. The poor car must have a real complex by now!
The second reason is that I reckon the diesel/petrol balance is going to change somewhat, after the US cheating fiasco. NOx pollution is a huge problem that has been ignored in Europe and which is more difficult than CO2 to reduce. I feel that this may cause a big adjustment in used diesel values.
The VW incentives gave me the opportunity to swap cars earlier than I usually do without financial penalty. I reckon the GTi with a DSG box will provide the buzz that the GTD did not.
Colour wise, my GTD is Pearl Black and is a pain to keep clean. Tungsten Silver seems like an alternative that won't look crap when it's a bit grimy. Plus, I think it will look awesome clean and polished!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 06 February 2016, 22:57 »
Sound thinking all round there Roger.
You certainly won't be disappointed with the GTI, such an underrated car in mk7 guise. I loved mine.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Gorocco

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 07 February 2016, 00:52 »
Would I be right in thinking those that have performance pack have the GTI in red letters?
PP, tints, Chassis Control.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 07 February 2016, 07:09 »
Would I be right in thinking those that have performance pack have the GTI in red letters?
Early PP GTIs came with the normal silver badges but red ones were fitted to later PP cars.
Mine had silver badges.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline battleshipgray

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 07 February 2016, 20:24 »
I'm sure you can't wait. Six months in and I'm loving mine.
Gone: 2015 Mk 7 GTI, 5 door, Manual, Carbon Grey
2019, Mk 7.5 GTI Performance, 5 door, Manual, Indium Grey
2021, on order Mk 8R, Lapiz Blue

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #17 on: 10 February 2016, 18:11 »
I think my car has been built but not 100% sure :undecided:
I spoke to my dealer yesterday and had a slightly confusing conversation but I THINK it may have been built.
I really need to pay more attention when I speak to people :smiley:
PS
Is anyone going to dub freeze on the 20th ?
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 10 February 2016, 21:58 »
Get the order number from your dealer and you can check progress yourself on the website, here:

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/track-my-order

Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #19 on: 10 February 2016, 22:02 »
He said he would know the number next week so hopefully I will be able to track it soon.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP