Author Topic: Golf R replica  (Read 7499 times)

Offline kenny.c

• GTI forum regular
Golf R replica
« on: 28 October 2014, 21:52 »
GTI - PP

Offline Jammy1

• Not said much yet
Re: Golf R replica
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2014, 22:24 »
I have three questions:

1)Why?
2)Why??
3)WHY??!!
Golf GTD, Tornado Red, 5dr, Manual, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Keyless and Winter Pack.  Ordered 15/03/14.  Estimated BW22. Confirmed BW25.  Collected 17/07/14.

Offline mrlapou

• GTI forum regular
  • Mean GTi
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2014, 22:32 »
some 'sad' people out there..... :huh:

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2014, 07:14 »
Saw this on autotrader last week, he says he's done it because the R is expensive to insure for him but surely that conversion wasn't cheap?? :shocked:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 29 October 2014, 07:24 »
Saw this on autotrader last week, he says he's done it because the R is expensive to insure for him but surely that conversion wasn't cheap?? :shocked:

I bet he could've leased an R cheaper right now than he could've leased that 1.2TSI.  :grin:

I'm sure those modifications would've bumped the insurance up considerably. So about £7k premium over the normal 1.2TSI what it would be worth now on a 13 plate (potentially about 20 months old) to buy an R that isn't an R.

"That's one of those new R's, must be fast as feck!", "no, it's nippy around town.:laugh:
« Last Edit: 29 October 2014, 07:32 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 29 October 2014, 07:30 »
To be fair it looks like a top job but he should never have put R badges on it. The conversion must have cost him a small fortune. I'd also love to know how he managed to source all the parts or if they came direct from VW?

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2014, 07:37 »
Like Craig said, to be fair, it's as good as a copy as I've seen using it seems all genuine parts. Only 2 things strike me:

1. If going to all that expense, why not fit auto lights to go with the "R" Xenon upgrade and

2. If he's just spent all this money and getting it to how he wanted it, why sell it ?

I'd imagine for who ever buys its, it would be a very interesting conversation with the insurance company..........

Insurance company - "Any modifications ?"

Owner - "Hmmm..........where do I start......"
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2014, 08:05 »
It's funny who trends have moved on. You don't see any of these sort of cars anymore, but thumb through Auto Trader 25 years ago and it was full of XR3i's with RS Turbo body kits and XR4i's dressed up to look like Cosworths. I even know one person that spent a fortune making his 1.6 Cavalier look just like an SRI, only to trade it in for...an SRI 130  :embarrassed:  :laugh:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2014, 08:06 »
It's funny who trends have moved on. You don't see any of these sort of cars anymore, but thumb through Auto Trader 25 years ago and it was full of XR3i's with RS Turbo body kits and XR4i's dressed up to look like Cosworths. I even know one person that spent a fortune making his 1.6 Cavalier look just like an SRI, only to trade it in for...an SRI 130  :embarrassed:  :laugh:

Was it you dubber?  :laugh:  :evil:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 29 October 2014, 08:08 »
Might have been.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.