Author Topic: What annoys you about your MK7?  (Read 68598 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: What annoys you about your MK7?
« Reply #250 on: 30 December 2013, 18:38 »
Must admit reading this thread and others on this forum section about niggles and issuss is not filling me with enthusiasm for the mk7 sadly. I had been considering an R.
It seems like vw haven't bothered fixing issues most us owners had with the mk5s in 2005 and its nearly a decade later! Shows how much they care I guess or how crap their design and test engineers are.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #251 on: 30 December 2013, 18:50 »
Must admit reading this thread and others on this forum section about niggles and issuss is not filling me with enthusiasm for the mk7 sadly. I had been considering an R.
It seems like vw haven't bothered fixing issues most us owners had with the mk5s in 2005 and its nearly a decade later! Shows how much they care I guess or how crap their design and test engineers are.
I think its a bit harsh to assume they don't care, the Golf GTi team are very proud of what they have accomplished, yes they have to build a car to a certain budget but you can't really fault the GTi for what it is. They even drafted in a ex Porsche GT3 RS specilist to work on the GTi, now thats some effort.

I would say the majority of online car forums, users usually share their bad experiences/niggles/issues rather the good..... its just the way forums work sometimes. If everything was perfect we wouldnt really have much to talk about on forums right?

I would say that on this forum, you could add up all the owners of the MK7 Golf, and it probably wouldnt even be 5% of the amount of Golfs Volkswagen prodcuce.  :smiley:
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline Simon C

• Not said much yet
« Reply #252 on: 30 December 2013, 22:19 »
Only 850 miles on the clock and on the way to work today I got the dreaded 'low pressure symbol'. So straight off the motorway I went, found a quiet spot and checked visually all 4 tyres - nothing obvious. So into the petrol station I went, manual checked and I went onto re-pressurising all 4 tyres which seemed a little lower than they should be. I then reset the system as per the manual and continued with my day.

10 hours and 50 miles later on my way home I got the same warning. Again a quick visual - nothing obvious. So to the petrol station I went and checked all 4 tyres. This time the rear left tyre did seem significantly lower, so I suspect a puncture. AnywAy, system reset again and off I went.

Hopefully I have dreamt all of this. However I think my gti may already have picked up a bas&ard puncture. I checked the same tyre when I got home but did not notice anything obvious. I suspect I will know for sure tomorrow when I'm back on the road.

Aaaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh! Hastle I did not need.....could be worse I guess and not such a slow puncture.
Letting my heart rule and not my head - GTI Mark 7 arrived: 3dr, 19" Santiago, sat nav, pure white.

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #253 on: 31 December 2013, 09:25 »
Only 850 miles on the clock and on the way to work today I got the dreaded 'low pressure symbol'. So straight off the motorway I went, found a quiet spot and checked visually all 4 tyres - nothing obvious. So into the petrol station I went, manual checked and I went onto re-pressurising all 4 tyres which seemed a little lower than they should be. I then reset the system as per the manual and continued with my day.

10 hours and 50 miles later on my way home I got the same warning. Again a quick visual - nothing obvious. So to the petrol station I went and checked all 4 tyres. This time the rear left tyre did seem significantly lower, so I suspect a puncture. AnywAy, system reset again and off I went.

Hopefully I have dreamt all of this. However I think my gti may already have picked up a bas&ard puncture. I checked the same tyre when I got home but did not notice anything obvious. I suspect I will know for sure tomorrow when I'm back on the road.

Aaaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh! Hastle I did not need.....could be worse I guess and not such a slow puncture.

I had the same problem, but at even fewer miles. NSR tyre flagged up as low pressure, but nothing obviously wrong, so checked pressures, pumped up tyre and reset system. Next day, same message.

No obvious sign of damage so I took it along to local tyre people. There was a hole in tread near outer sidewall.

Long story short, a new ContiSport2 was fitted at just shy of £130. They managed the job without leaving any marks on alloy - top people!

I see you're on 19's, so I hope you can fix it rather than replace it.
GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline Simon C

• Not said much yet
« Reply #254 on: 31 December 2013, 13:52 »

I had the same problem, but at even fewer miles. NSR tyre flagged up as low pressure, but nothing obviously wrong, so checked pressures, pumped up tyre and reset system. Next day, same message.

No obvious sign of damage so I took it along to local tyre people. There was a hole in tread near outer sidewall.

Long story short, a new ContiSport2 was fitted at just shy of £130. They managed the job without leaving any marks on alloy - top people!

I see you're on 19's, so I hope you can fix it rather than replace it

Reset yesterday, sat overnight and another 30 miles on the clock today. No warning signal and tyre appears sound. Think I'll just have to keep a close eye on it.
Letting my heart rule and not my head - GTI Mark 7 arrived: 3dr, 19" Santiago, sat nav, pure white.

Offline e.l.s

• Not said much yet
« Reply #255 on: 31 December 2013, 22:06 »
We first got the low tyre pressure warning a few weeks ago, tyre looked fine so I reset the system and all was OK but a couple of days ago the warning message came up again. Took it to the dealership today and it turns out there was a nail in the tyre  :sad: it's now been repaired so cross fingers we'll have no more problems....
red GTD, sunroof. BW 39. Picked up 15.10.13