Author Topic: What annoys you about your MK7?  (Read 68596 times)

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
Re: What annoys you about your MK7?
« Reply #20 on: 14 November 2013, 06:49 »
It does seem that a lot of complaints are down to the dsg, makes me glad I saved that bag of sand there. There may be hope for the future though as can't you get the dsg flashed to behave differently in the mk6?
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 14 November 2013, 08:14 »
Maybe I got a good one but my DSG is perfect (as good as it was on the Scirocco). Never gets flustered, always in the right gear, and changes down immediately if asked for. Also the paddles work instantly up or down, and I don't find it hanging onto gears too long unless I am in sport mode, in which case it revs nearly round to the red line. Indeed in ECO mode, which I've dabbled with, if anything it changes up too quick (5th Gear at 34mph), where an in Drive mode, it's normally in 4th up to about 36-37mph, but I guess that's in a drive for Economy (which to be fair doesn't really pan out).

I love it and it makes really light work or my commute to work. Would definitely specify again.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 14 November 2013, 09:01 »
Unlike Jimble I find the PP brakes quite good. Not as snatchy as the mk6 brakes.

Perhaps Jimble's assessment of the brakes is because he is used to driving the majority of German and French cars where the brakes are like a switch.

When I first drove a 911 on a test drive I thought that the brakes weren't working (having got straight into the car from my BMW 123d). What I've found with my 911 is that there is much less servo assistance than most modern hatchbacks would have (I think that it is to suit the "playstation generation") but the brakes are magnificent... you just need to use a little more effort... it means that you can modulate the brakes more effectively...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 14 November 2013, 09:12 »
Unlike Jimble I find the PP brakes quite good. Not as snatchy as the mk6 brakes.

Perhaps Jimble's assessment of the brakes is because he is used to driving the majority of German and French cars where the brakes are like a switch.

When I first drove a 911 on a test drive I thought that the brakes weren't working (having got straight into the car from my BMW 123d). What I've found with my 911 is that there is much less servo assistance than most modern hatchbacks would have (I think that it is to suit the "playstation generation") but the brakes are magnificent... you just need to use a little more effort... it means that you can modulate the brakes more effectively...

You can change the brake assist via vcds, it one of the first things I plan to do
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

mjh_056

« Reply #24 on: 14 November 2013, 09:50 »
Maybe I got a good one but my DSG is perfect (as good as it was on the Scirocco). Never gets flustered, always in the right gear, and changes down immediately if asked for. Also the paddles work instantly up or down, and I don't find it hanging onto gears too long unless I am in sport mode, in which case it revs nearly round to the red line. Indeed in ECO mode, which I've dabbled with, if anything it changes up too quick (5th Gear at 34mph), where an in Drive mode, it's normally in 4th up to about 36-37mph, but I guess that's in a drive for Economy (which to be fair doesn't really pan out).

I love it and it makes really light work or my commute to work. Would definitely specify again.

Never had DSG before and was obviously a bit wary as to if made the right decision from outset and given Jimble comments have found myself even more conscious to as if similar happens but my personal experience mirrors Norbreck. Moves up to D6 readily at low and high speeds in economy and comfort and does hang onto gears more in sport, though really not pushed it hard enough to make a final assessment on that setting.

There is a minor lurch as you kick down but no more so than when dropping a gear in manual.

There is also sometimes a minor lurch as goes up gears quicker than maybe I would have done in manual previously though my explanation to that is my Audi Quattro had no settings and was basically in sport all the time and I would naturally hang onto a gear more and expecting the GTD to do same where as in normal it will of course change far earlier. So that is me getting used to it opposed to DSG doing anything wrong.

Quite enjoy being in normal and comfort in town and think being in sport would be too aggressive and a pain for day to day local driving.

Major pain for me is on and off the clutch on M25 and that experience is what swayed me to DSG and it is just so much easier now, as is general town driving where if want to give it a little more to navigate a junction, roundabout or a pain in ass driver the change to extra power is there.

The DSG in combination with auto hold too is genius as whether gradient is up or down you simply stop and it holds, no clutch or brake and when ready to go, you just accelerate away.

Quite analytical of DSG at outset but as got used to it more have relaxed that left leg and grown to love it as suits my regular driving so well and when I can stretch it out, the option is there to in sport and manual.

Only done a few hundred miles and think best feel for everything about the car will come when can take it to limits more once clocked past that 1000 miles.

If anyone is doubting a DSG then go test drive one and if can in car you looking to buy as only way to really understand it.

Think the main used car in family will now always be a DSG

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 14 November 2013, 10:01 »

If anyone is doubting a DSG then go test drive one and if can in car you looking to buy as only way to really understand it.

I think it takes more than a test drive if you've not driven one much before. It took me at least 2 weeks to learn how to drive mine and 6-7 months on, I'm still learning about things it does.

Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

mjh_056

« Reply #26 on: 14 November 2013, 10:13 »

I think it takes more than a test drive if you've not driven one much before. It took me at least 2 weeks to learn how to drive mine and 6-7 months on, I'm still learning about things it does.

Very true and sure be same for me, but if never ever driven one before and seriously thinking to option it for £1800 then to at least have an understanding to how it functions would make sense.

Offline Thornster

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 14 November 2013, 11:09 »
The DSG is my first Auto, and it does what I wanted it to do - make long drives in slow traffic more relaxing.

I've only had the car a few weeks, but initial impressions are generally as per others i.e. Drive changes up a bit soon (which can make it feel a bit lethargic), and Sport is too ‘aggressive’ (for the Track, not the road???).
I think there needed to be a mode between the two, or the ability to tune the individual mode as this would sort it for most people.

I've just started playing with the Manual mode, and that was great!

Overall i think the DSG is a good bit of kit, although I'm still not 100% sure it's suited to the GTI in its current state of the DSG programming...

MPG on my regular 2hr/97mile journey is around 37mpg (750 miles on the clock), which I'm ok with. I'm expecting it to improve slightly as the engine beds in.

If I were to be picky I think the iPod cable is a bit loose in my iPhone4, but that’s about it.

Other than the minor quibbles above I think the overall package is great, and I'm please with all the options I spec'd.
I'm now looking forward to giving it a few more revs as I approach 1000miles, and really testing out the joys of the manual mode on my next long dive  :wink:
Oct 2013: GTI, DSG, 3 Door, Carbon Grey, DynAudio, Winter Pack, Discovery Navigation and Keyless Start
Jan 2018: Arteon R-Line, Atlantic Blue
Jan 2021: tbc!

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 14 November 2013, 11:55 »
I pretty much agree with most of the above tbh which mirrors the majority of my findings with it, my list at the start are mostly minor annoyances, i seem to be the only one having the problem with inconsistent pull away after it re starting though? The dealers are checking for a software update so fingers crossed, as i've said before it's more than likely that i'm the problem with the DSG box, it seems others experience some of my gripes but are more used to them so are comfortable that thats how it should be?

@corgi, my last two cars have been a mk5 golf S 1.4, 80 raging horses! And a mk6 GTI, again perhaps the brakes are some thing i need to get used to but i drive quite a few different cars and vans big and small but i seem to find myself getting a bit close to the car in front now and again after braking pretty firmly in the MK7, how long should it take for the discs and pads to "bed in"? The 1.6d se i've got as a courtesy car this week seems to have better brakes but thats got 2.5k on.

Assuming i'm happy with the 5!! bodywork repairs tommorrow, i think i'll give it the benefit of the doubt for a while but sow a seed with the brand manager (that i've been dealing with) that rejecting could be on the cards!

As always i appreciate the comments chaps and chapesses! :cool:
« Last Edit: 14 November 2013, 11:57 by Jimble »
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 14 November 2013, 12:11 »
Exonian, I also agree with you re the seats - really not easy to pull forward.  Yes, I should have got a 5 door so its my own fault  :laugh: but they're still not easy to slide forward.

Couple of other things that I've noticed - sat nav (which is excellent) always defaults to a wide view and I have to turn the nob to get it back to street level every time - I don't want to see half of Hertforshire, I only want to see when the next turning is coming up  :angry:

Wipers - sh!te, and the sensor is sh!te too - but every Golf has been the same so not really a niggle as used to it.

Other than these and the ones in my previous post, the car is fantastic - no car is perfect but I'm having great fun in this GTI  :smiley:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....