Author Topic: Just bought......A 3" system! ***fitted***  (Read 33710 times)

Offline mar_k

• I live here
Re: Just bought......A 3" system! ***fitted***
« Reply #290 on: 11 November 2012, 15:09 »
I'd like to voice my concern over an issue I have with these exhausts.
Its for those of you who are running with the post cat Lamda. Due to large diameter of the pipe work the lamda can no longer be fitted in the original position and only be fitted buuy turning the pipe so the sensor sits at the lower part of the pipe which causes it to sit quite low.
My friend caught the Lamda on a speed hump which caused the wires to be pulled out of it, He didn't notice this at the time and resulted in a blown ECU as the wires shorted out. When the sensor wiring shorts it causes loss of throttle on the fly by wire system and the only fix is a replacement ECU.
Now fixed with a recoded replacement ECU and a new lamda fitted, 60 miles on and the Lamda has been damaged again. Now I'm sure those of you who do not have to negotiate speed bumps often will not have a problem but for those of you who do, Please take care and ensure you place atleast 2 wheels on the bump to avoid catching the sensor.
My friends car is due to have a stage 2 remap in the near future and he will be looking into having the post cat sensor mapped out so a blanking plug can be fitted in its place.
« Last Edit: 11 November 2012, 15:14 by mar_k »

Offline AaronGS

• I live here
« Reply #291 on: 11 November 2012, 15:48 »
I had a 3" exhaust, ran fairly low and encountered a lot of large speed bumps. There must be a better way to position the probe.
Or was I just incedibly lucky?
Wazzer how is yours fitted and can you compare it to the on eon the car Russ now has?
Is it the same positioning as yours? May be of help to others?

Offline mar_k

• I live here
« Reply #292 on: 11 November 2012, 16:06 »
we tried turning the pipe all ways and it fouls the underside of the car in all positions other than having the lamda pointing slightly downwards,

Offline Granta Gti

• I live here
« Reply #293 on: 11 November 2012, 18:18 »
I am running this and had not problems with the post cat..

Offline mar_k

• I live here
« Reply #294 on: 11 November 2012, 18:19 »
I am running this and had not problems with the post cat..

In what position is your Lambda fitted?

Offline Granta Gti

• I live here
« Reply #295 on: 11 November 2012, 18:38 »
I think it pops out to the side, defo not pointing down. The only issue I have is it rubs on the fuel tank heat shield bloody annoying.  :sad:

Offline mar_k

• I live here
« Reply #296 on: 11 November 2012, 18:44 »
Yours sounds like its in the same place, It sort of pops out the side but slightly downwards,
Its not protected like the original position of the sensor was.

Offline rio_gti

• I live here
  • "i'm not spending any money on it" Got a Hybrid!
« Reply #297 on: 11 November 2012, 18:48 »
my old dp was the same but never had a problem, but then again im standard hight!!!

2000 GTI 1.8t ARZ, S2000 filter, DSG intake, Forge 007 dv, Catch can, R-tech custom remap, 3" Supersize Silicone TIP, Powerflex dog bone, 'The Beast' FMIC, Ultimate delete, LCR fuel pump, 3" Turbo back, K03 hybrid, Ported Manifold, S3 injectors, 80mm maf = 280bhp 270lbft :evil:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #298 on: 11 November 2012, 19:05 »
Aaron I'll have a good look when I pop over there this week. Bizarrely we were on the same boat on the way home yesterday lol

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Prawny

• Here all the time
  • R-tech power!!!
« Reply #299 on: 11 November 2012, 21:31 »

My friends car is due to have a stage 2 remap in the near future and he will be looking into having the post cat sensor mapped out so a blanking plug can be fitted in its place.

Just to let you know, this will not work at all I'm afraid.

When the post cat lamda is 'mapped out', it's not actually mapped out at all, but simple the threshold value at which it'll trigger a CEL is raised to a point where it is no longer a worry.

The actual sensor itself must remain in position and fully working, or you will still have problems.