Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2790271 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #7810 on: 29 December 2017, 10:25 »
I did get told that one of the squeaks on mk7s was from over polishing underneath where the top of the door closes to the roof. The rubber on the door squeaks against the polish apparently. Not sure how true that is.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7811 on: 29 December 2017, 10:47 »
I did get told that one of the squeaks on mk7s was from over polishing underneath where the top of the door closes to the roof. The rubber on the door squeaks against the polish apparently. Not sure how true that is.

Sounds more like dry door seals. I think the name of the good stuff you can get is Krytox or something like that, Rebecca uses it.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #7812 on: 29 December 2017, 12:05 »

Sounds more like dry door seals. I think the name of the good stuff you can get is Krytox or something like that, Rebecca uses it.

:grin: :grin: :grin: say no more!!!
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7813 on: 29 December 2017, 12:06 »
I said that to him but he said no not door seals.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7814 on: 29 December 2017, 12:12 »
It’s the rubber door seals. Washing / polishing the car frequently definitely does bring on the issue quicker. Dries out the rubbers and that combined with whatever waxy residue your wash routine leaves on the door frames causes that squeak.

Krytox or Gummi pfledge (a lot cheaper and as effective in my experience) fixes it.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7815 on: 29 December 2017, 12:43 »
As Joe says it’s the door seals, and most likely, the window felts (velvety bits along tops of windows). They both dry out over time.  Waxing door shuts can both help then hinder.  Lubricating both with a decent rubber lubricant resolves the issue.  I have to differ with Joe in this respect though as I favour Krytox (or VW Special Lubricant) over Gummi Pflege as ime, its effects are much longer lasting (I’ve used both).  You can get Krytox oil from eBay or your local TPS (not via the website), part no. G052172A1.  It’s pricy about £38 for 30ml but a little goes a long way so a bottle lasts ages and ages. I used it on my GTI seals once in 3 years and it worked a treat. I used it in my R a few months ago when the familiar creaks started and no further issues.  Apply with fingertips or even better, with a detailing brush and wipe off any excess with a microfibre.
« Last Edit: 29 December 2017, 12:50 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7816 on: 29 December 2017, 12:57 »
Rebecca, the reasons I think Krytox is not really worth the extra is:
- it leaves a messy residue around the door frame for a week or 2 - same as gummi pfledge does
- I haven’t really found it any longer lasting or any more effective - I’ve applied it a few times to the R now.

Maybe I’ve been doing it wrong  :laugh:

That said I still have at least half it left so it does last ages.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7817 on: 29 December 2017, 13:28 »
Rebecca, the reasons I think Krytox is not really worth the extra is:
- it leaves a messy residue around the door frame for a week or 2 - same as gummi pfledge does
- I haven’t really found it any longer lasting or any more effective - I’ve applied it a few times to the R now.

Maybe I’ve been doing it wrong  :laugh:

That said I still have at least half it left so it does last ages.

Joe, I don’t doubt its worth and uses, like yourself, loads of people use Gummi Pflege and are happy with it.   :smiley:   It’s just that I personally didn’t get on with it, it needed reapplying quite a few times, whereas one go with the Krytox silenced the creaks for good (well at least until the gti got sold), so for me, Krytox is worth the extra as I know it works and its effect lasts a long long time. I don’t want to be feeding seals regularly if there’s something that lasts at least a year.   Any oil will run down the paintwork for a while, especially if it gets wet but I found Krytox easier to clean off than Gummi.   The second time I used Krytox (on the R) I found the key to avoiding oil running into paintwork it is to apply it with a brush, let it sink in, then remove as much excess as possible with a microfibre, and do that again after doors have been opened and closed a few times.

I guess any decent lubricant will do the trick but as with everything, everyone has their own pref.  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7818 on: 29 December 2017, 13:42 »
I was actually studying your “guide to detailing” thread on the R forum as I am planning to not bother with pro ceramic coatings on the new car and go DIY this time. I have a shopping basket filled on cleanyourcar.co.uk, just have to click “buy” !

Already got a few bits off woo-woo  :laugh:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7819 on: 29 December 2017, 14:02 »
Well I've never ever treated any door seals ever on any car and not had any squeaks from doors. Same can't be said for interior plastic trim though  :whistle: