Author Topic: GTI Build Dates - Anyone got one yet?  (Read 322419 times)

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Re: GTI Build Dates - Anyone got one yet?
« Reply #1980 on: 20 August 2013, 18:18 »
Didnt want to put full quote. But suspect all us in 33 that werent built might be in the same boat then. Early sunday morning was a weird time for it to move to build in progress. Suspect its like you say and the customer tracker just bugged and assumes that due to no update and it now being the following week that we must be in progress. As surely vw would never be slow...

Time will tell i guess, joy.

This actually makes perfect sense. The tracker just updates as a matter of course regardless. So basically none of our cars have been built. This also makes sense given the delays with the previous week.  :angry:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #1981 on: 20 August 2013, 18:24 »
I find it hard to believe the system works like that.  Software wise alone this is a bad way to set something up.  You never want to have things making assumptions or automatically changing after a time delay because an operation is supposedly complete.

I think it much much more likely that the system waits for a flag to trigger the move to the next stage.  That flag would probably be based on the car reaching a certain point in the production management software they are running in the factory.

Setting it up to change on a time delay would be both against the convention and highly stupid, there is no advantage to doing it like that its actually more work for whoever wrote the code.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1982 on: 20 August 2013, 18:27 »
I find it hard to believe the system works like that.  Software wise alone this is a bad way to set something up.  You never want to have things making assumptions or automatically changing after a time delay because an operation is supposedly complete.

I think it much much more likely that the system waits for a flag to trigger the move to the next stage.  That flag would probably be based on the car reaching a certain point in the production management software they are running in the factory.

Setting it up to change on a time delay would be both against the convention and highly stupid, there is no advantage to doing it like that its actually more work for whoever wrote the code.

On the old version tracker, my dad's car was "in transit" within 4 days of being informed by VW UK that it was in the paint shop. Seems the old tracker was quite accurate with the more limited info it had.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1983 on: 20 August 2013, 18:29 »
Didnt want to put full quote. But suspect all us in 33 that werent built might be in the same boat then. Early sunday morning was a weird time for it to move to build in progress. Suspect its like you say and the customer tracker just bugged and assumes that due to no update and it now being the following week that we must be in progress. As surely vw would never be slow...

This actually makes perfect sense. The tracker just updates as a matter of course regardless. So basically none of our cars have been built. This also makes sense given the delays with the previous week.  :angry:

Has anyone actually told you (dealer or VW UK) your car has been built or is being painted/built checked etc? I would hope that if they have, it has actually been built - why lie to you and not to me?

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #1984 on: 20 August 2013, 18:34 »
Whatever production management software the factory uses will be accurate all the time, necessarily.  I suspect inaccuracies occur on the web tracker because of a deliberate disconnect.  I.e. VW don't want it updating all the time for various reasons.  The result would be that sometimes the tracker lags behind the true status, but never that it changes early.

That said freak events like hailstorms could obviously lead to a car moving back in the process at which point the tracker might state the car is at a transit stage when actually it's back at the factory for example.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #1985 on: 20 August 2013, 18:35 »
MH - the VWEO told me yesterday that it was built and awaiting shipment. But it's not the first time I've been bullsh1tted by them so I'm going to take it with a pinch of salt.
Audi RS5 2018
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline ChrisJL

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1986 on: 20 August 2013, 19:48 »

I could be wrong, but yes I suspect that is the case.

Being a software dev myself I know how these kind of problems can arise from issues in the code. Don't forget this tracker is new and it didn't seem to hit their "pre-live" environment first which I would've expected, so possibly hasn't been tested thoroughly enough. Although in fairness no amount of testing will find every single bug.

So upon hearing about your confirmation of yours not being in build (from the view of a dealer on their dealer tracker, which I suspect hasn't been updated as recently as the customer tracker, so its probably more reliable / accurate) and the odd time it moved over, I suspect the change in status is a bug and the cars haven't yet started build. As the "Build in Progress" is one of the new stages, so it just reeks of a coding bug to me.

I haven't contacted VW myself or my dealer, I've just been following this new tracker. I am getting tempted after hearing your update to just e-mail my dealer and ask if they can check. But whether it is or isn't in build theres nothing they can do, so might as well just sit and go along for the ride. Plus it would just involve me sitting pressing refresh on my e-mail page instead of the tracker, so don't really see the point lol  :sad:

I set my part ex in stone back in May when I ordered mine luckily for me. I imagine its just delays from the repairs to those cars damaged to by the hail storm / possible delays due to their shutdown.

Be interesting to see when ours do officially begin build though and likewise if this coming Sunday all week 34'ers mysteriously move to "build in progress" after the clock ticks past midnight / 1am.

I won't relax until the car is in my hands, at this point I just expect delay upon delay, but providing when we finally get them, as long as there is nothing wrong with them, I think that's the best anyone can hope for. It being 100% is an obvious must of course, but I'd hate for it to require a part and that part got to come from germany. I have visions now of a "Part - Order Tracker" .... and it constantly sitting at "Processing your order" lol
Collected 10/09/2013: Mk 7 Golf GTI. 3 Door Manual. Tornado Red. Performance Pack. Adaptive Chassis. Winter Pack. Life Shine Protection.

Offline ChrisJL

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1987 on: 20 August 2013, 19:53 »
Also depending on when 33 does move into build in progress officially I guess anyone beyond that week can expect the similar kind of delay. VW already stating in another thread somewhere that they will not be speeding up the process at the price of their quality processes. So if week 33's aren't built until mid week 34 / even 35, I guess people with subsequent weeks can expect a week 34 to become a week 35,36 etc.

Might need to do a futurama / south park and freeze ourselves and ask to be unfrozen when the car is built and hope that isn't the year 3000  :grin:
Collected 10/09/2013: Mk 7 Golf GTI. 3 Door Manual. Tornado Red. Performance Pack. Adaptive Chassis. Winter Pack. Life Shine Protection.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1988 on: 20 August 2013, 21:11 »
MH - the VWEO told me yesterday that it was built and awaiting shipment. But it's not the first time I've been bullsh1tted by them so I'm going to take it with a pinch of salt.

Is VWEO different from the VW UK place i've been pestering? Different set of contacts? There is the strong possibility that yours is built and mine is not - if the delays are more for GTD than GTI.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #1989 on: 20 August 2013, 21:25 »

Is VWEO different from the VW UK place i've been pestering? Different set of contacts? There is the strong possibility that yours is built and mine is not - if the delays are more for GTD than GTI.

Yes, the VW Exec Office is where the complaints are taken care of, the next step up from the VW UK call centre as it were. They should give you more specific and up to date information. But that's not always been the case  :rolleyes: Saying that, the chap I've dealt with has been very helpful.

You say that but so far apart from the delays on unconfirmed GTD's there appears to be no difference between the GTI & the GTD so I won't believe it's been built till its on a boat. Which should have happened over a day ago.
Audi RS5 2018