Author Topic: Any tips - fuel filler flap stuck closed.  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Ooosh

• Not said much yet
Any tips - fuel filler flap stuck closed.
« on: 10 June 2022, 09:36 »
Does anyone have personal experience of the fuel filler door failing to open?

There are a couple of videos on Youtube but I am looking for real world tips.

Won't be near the car for a few days - and need to prepare a few tools.

1. Masking tape to protect the paintwork.
2. Rubber mallet (to tap the door where the actuator is).
3. Stiff silicone card (to wedge behind the door and attempt to lever open).
4. Either WD40 or silicone grease for lubrication.

Any tips greatly appreciated.
CSS + McLaren 570S + Saxdor 200 + Christen Eagle

Offline madstaff

• I live here
Re: Any tips - fuel filler flap stuck closed.
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2022, 10:02 »
My daughters Polo Blue GT did the same and this is how i eventually got in.

Try locking/unlocking numerous times - hopefully it might just be intermittant at this point.

Give it a sharp slap around the 9 o'clock position as your doing this and it may just spring open.

When you take the old actuator out, tie some string around the plug before you guide the wiring out, then tie said string to new actuator wiring and pull the wiring back through.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Ooosh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2022, 11:05 »
My daughters Polo Blue GT did the same and this is how i eventually got in.

Try locking/unlocking numerous times - hopefully it might just be intermittant at this point.

Give it a sharp slap around the 9 o'clock position as your doing this and it may just spring open.

When you take the old actuator out, tie some string around the plug before you guide the wiring out, then tie said string to new actuator wiring and pull the wiring back through.

Appreciate that thank you.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2022, 23:53 »
Does anyone have personal experience of the fuel filler door failing to open?

There are a couple of videos on Youtube but I am looking for real world tips.

Won't be near the car for a few days - and need to prepare a few tools.

1. Masking tape to protect the paintwork.
2. Rubber mallet (to tap the door where the actuator is).
3. Stiff silicone card (to wedge behind the door and attempt to lever open).
4. Either WD40 or silicone grease for lubrication.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Had this on my CSS and also had to get the bonnet release lever replaced. Both mechanisms have not been subject to anything approaching fatiguing of parts and the CSS is stored in a temp controlled garage.

I managed to open mine by using small suction cups. I used two placed top and bottom of the door - opposite side to the hinge. Just pushed in gently and pulled out while the key was operated multiple times and was able to open it. More or less what this YouTube video shows but I did have the EKTA parts diagram from the dealer - the exploded view gave me direction on where to place the suckers. Was concerned about how much force and not distorting the door / distributing the load. But it was pretty easy in the end - always is in when you're prepared for any eventuality!

I took it into the dealer after and using logic, had them agree that based on mileage, realistically, the parts would not have been subject to more than double digit use at worst case and they agreed that it wasn't acceptable for a flagship product. VW as a brand could not have been less interested in goodwill gestures but the local dealer didn't charge me for labour and supplied new parts at 50% off. They gave me a new door mount and as a precaution, replaced the actuator.

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2022, 15:46 »
I regular spray a bit of WD40 or 3in1 Oil (the silicone based equivalent) on mine to hopefully avoid this. Definitely a common issue and pops up on the forums often.

Offline Ooosh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2022, 19:28 »
I regular spray a bit of WD40 or 3in1 Oil (the silicone based equivalent) on mine to hopefully avoid this. Definitely a common issue and pops up on the forums often.

I’d missed the issue. Just want to raise awareness.