Author Topic: Moving from a 7.5 GTI to 7 Ed40?  (Read 2714 times)

Offline willni

• I live here
Moving from a 7.5 GTI to 7 Ed40?
« on: 05 June 2022, 11:23 »
Wondering if anyone has made the move from a 7.5 GTI performance pack to a mk7 Ed40 Clubsport?

Saw a nice one for sale in England, sunroof, leather, dynaudio in 3 door & pure white and most importantly manual.

The problem is it has 20k miles (5 times what my 7.5 gti had when I purchased it) and also costs more than what I paid for my 7.5 as I bought it before the price increases.

I like the clubsport but feel like it's possibly a bad move and I should wait for a TCR to come down.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline clubsport

• I live here
Re: Moving from a 7.5 GTI to 7 Ed40?
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2022, 12:36 »
Try one willni..... I moved from mk7 PP to ed40 CS, the reason I moved was the spec of the car I bought.
Do you want an Ed40 with leather seats,  a sunroof & manual? I know I didn't want the seats & sunroof! :)
Waiting for a TCR to come down in price is one option, but they are DSG only, so why consider a manual Ed40.... I must admit I am a little confused! :) 

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 05 June 2022, 12:41 »
After driving a TCR I feel that one of them is definitely going to be my next move. I've got a standard MK7 GTI currently and whilst I've done a few bits to it (VWR springs and CSS backbox), the TCR is an all round better car. The interior is much more polished and the overall performance of the car is much more confidence inspiring than mine is. I didn't expect it to be that much better and to be completely honest, when I stepped out of it on the test drive I wasn't actually that impressed - that was until I then went and drove the same road in my car.

Whilst the ED40 is nice, I think the 7.5s are better looking both inside and out so I'd so TCR. But that's just me!
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 05 June 2022, 13:03 »
Try one willni..... I moved from mk7 PP to ed40 CS, the reason I moved was the spec of the car I bought.
Do you want an Ed40 with leather seats,  a sunroof & manual? I know I didn't want the seats & sunroof! :)
Waiting for a TCR to come down in price is one option, but they are DSG only, so why consider a manual Ed40.... I must admit I am a little confused! :)

In my opinion the manual gearbox is the desired spec for the clubsport, the 6-speed DSG was too hesitant, the 7-speed DSG is great. Yes I'd say this one is fairly close to my desired spec only thing is I'd rather have the Oryx White.

I didn't expect it to be that much better and to be completely honest, when I stepped out of it on the test drive I wasn't actually that impressed - that was until I then went and drove the same road in my car.

Funny that's how I felt about my gti versus my old gtd, I'd also say the 7.5's better looking but the clubsport is it's own thing which looks great.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 05 June 2022, 13:15 »
Fair point in respect to the 6 speed Dsg.

Each to their own, personally I much prefer the mk7 CS front & rear styling to the mk 7.5 cars, it was good to see VW make so much effort in their design.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 05 June 2022, 14:18 »
My thoughts:

7.5 GTI better looking, with better headlights, better interior upgrades and they sound quite good. The engine has loads of torque from just over tickover but is lower revving.

Ed40 has unique looks, unique interior with cloth but the leather gets ambient lighting which the cloth lacks.
The chassis feels slightly more agile, the engine less torquey but revs out well. Manual gearbox suits the car. The fluffy steering wheel is nice. The car feels special.

The Ed40 being at least 4 years old needs to have had a sympathetic previous owner.

The Ed40 also has swirl and scratch magnet gloss black everywhere so just think of the satisfaction of getting that all polished up…

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

chopper216

« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2022, 14:24 »
Got my CS Edition 40 back in September in White, it has the 6 speed DSG and I’m am biased, but I think it looks great with a few modest tweaks. I put a stage 1 Revo map on it and this has totally transformed the driving experience. I hope to get the DSG map in the next Revo sale. It’s pretty much each to their own, but who doesn’t love looking at a TCR when you spot one, I love it in Red. A bold move either way with the petrol prices atm, both great looking cars. I use mine as my daily, no regrets so far. Drive both and you’ll make your own decision, good luck.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2022, 14:28 by chopper216 »

chopper216

« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2022, 14:37 »
Btw M8, there’s a few white Edition 40 in Up for sale close to you and a TCR in Belfast, get those test drives done ! If you are feeling flush there’s even an Edition 45 👌

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 05 June 2022, 15:21 »
My thoughts:

7.5 GTI better looking, with better headlights, better interior upgrades and they sound quite good. The engine has loads of torque from just over tickover but is lower revving.

Ed40 has unique looks, unique interior with cloth but the leather gets ambient lighting which the cloth lacks.
The chassis feels slightly more agile, the engine less torquey but revs out well. Manual gearbox suits the car. The fluffy steering wheel is nice. The car feels special.

The Ed40 being at least 4 years old needs to have had a sympathetic previous owner.

The Ed40 also has swirl and scratch magnet gloss black everywhere so just think of the satisfaction of getting that all polished up…

Out of curiosity, if you were to be buying a used TCR now what kind of spec would you be looking for? Or would you take a Mk8 CS instead?
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 05 June 2022, 15:36 »
My thoughts:

Out of curiosity, if you were to be buying a used TCR now what kind of spec would you be looking for? Or would you take a Mk8 CS instead?

It would be getting PPF'd straight away after correcting the gloss black  :wink: It's actually had 2 owners assuming 1 business and 1 actual owner since it's on 23k miles with full VW history and the leather looks hardly sat in.

TCR wise - Sunroof, performance pack for Reifnitz and ACC, leather or cloth, dynaudio, 3 door in white, grey or red and importantly the Akrapovic.

A members brother on here purchased one a few weeks ago in black which had great spec actually but feel black doesn't do the TCR justice as it would lose the black details

But no, no real interest in the mk8's at all the interior is the off putting thing.

Btw M8, there’s a few white Edition 40 in Up for sale close to you and a TCR in Belfast, get those test drives done ! If you are feeling flush there’s even an Edition 45 👌

They're actually not great spec examples and the TCR has budget tyres on it which instantly puts me off for such a young car, considering my car has seen more goodyears and michelins on it just for fun :grin: The Ed45 is nice but also is more much expensive than the M2 Competitions I was looking at.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2022, 15:52 by willni »