Author Topic: You don’t fancy an 8R?  (Read 16441 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
You don’t fancy an 8R?
« on: 27 October 2021, 16:44 »
Ohhh the dilemma.
You either don’t like the droop snoot look of a £50k Golf R or you can’t be bothered to wait a year for the Wolfsburg robots to find enough microprocessors to allow you to do drifts in MaccyD car park?

How about piling your furlough money into one of these?

https://youtu.be/dmcDO1OSn8Y

Or a shorter more laddish version: https://youtu.be/mmxRYVwekhA

Personally I’ve never really had the slightest interest in Audis (with the notable exception of the Ur-quattro and 1984-86 Audi 80 Sport) and I’m definitely not RS3 demographic but I do quite like the look and sound of this new version.
For those of you with large sums of money burning holes in your pockets, would this tempt you out of a Mk7 where a Mk8 has failed to?
Jaceyboy, would you pay more than £6 for one of these?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: You don’t fancy an 8R?
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2021, 17:08 »
I like the idea of the 5 cyl engine but it'll need to halve in price before my pocket opens up. Very rarely test the performance of what I've got.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2021, 17:17 »
Whilst not a "driftable" new RS3, I did get out of my Mk 7 GTI for a TTRS.

I did look at a 2018ish RS3 but the interior was like sitting in a bog standard A3 so didn't go for it.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2021, 20:22 »
As much as i commend Audi for finally doing something different in the form of a 5 cylinder, the RS3 reeks of mediocrity and compromise.

It just tries too hard, it doesn't know if it wants to rival an R, M135i or a M2, as a result it is essentially a Golf R that's gone to the gym, and uses the 5 cylinder warble as it's personality. It's the same excuse the Mk5 R32 used against the Mk5 Edition 30, in all aspects it is a worse car but the noise makes you want it.

Except the difference is it's not childish infighting with the S3, it's fighting a 6 Cylinder M2 and the spaceship that is the A45S, and it loses every time.

But that's me, I never particularly found Audi's interesting unless we go back to the days of the Quattro or RS2.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2021, 11:12 »
Nope. :sad: :undecided: :huh: :sad:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2021, 11:24 »
Only thing currently even slightly interest in seeing is the next civic type R after watching the reviews of the normal new civic models by savagegeese as Honda have thought about interior ergonomics.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2021, 17:26 »
Ohhh the dilemma.
You either don’t like the droop snoot look of a £50k Golf R or you can’t be bothered to wait a year for the Wolfsburg robots to find enough microprocessors to allow you to do drifts in MaccyD car park?

How about piling your furlough money into one of these?

https://youtu.be/dmcDO1OSn8Y

Or a shorter more laddish version: https://youtu.be/mmxRYVwekhA

Personally I’ve never really had the slightest interest in Audis (with the notable exception of the Ur-quattro and 1984-86 Audi 80 Sport) and I’m definitely not RS3 demographic but I do quite like the look and sound of this new version.
For those of you with large sums of money burning holes in your pockets, would this tempt you out of a Mk7 where a Mk8 has failed to?
Jaceyboy, would you pay more than £6 for one of these?

That looks like a Kia. Last Audi I drove was an RS6 and I could not get over the lack of steering feel. I imagine this will suffer from the same.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2021, 02:16 »
Only thing currently even slightly interest in seeing is the next civic type R after watching the reviews of the normal new civic models by savagegeese as Honda have thought about interior ergonomics.

Agree 100%  I'm eagerly awaiting the new Civic's release here in a month or so.  It appears Honda have taken a diametrically opposite direction to VW with their controls and driver interface.  Which I love.  And by all reports the car is a cracker to drive, to boot.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2021, 08:40 »
I have to admit I would love to have one, but one of them is more like 55k to 60k with options compared to the 35k R I have on order (with some minor options). Although the other down side to owning one there is an even higher chance that someone will turn up in the middle of the night demanding the keys.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 29 October 2021, 11:00 »
Ha Exonian,

I was only thinking about piling £55k into one of these next year (when DTD release their discount) but upon watching the videos of the release I'm gutted to see that the UK will not get the same interior as the other European countries!

No Alcantara Steering wheel
No Colour co-ordinated stitching in the seats (plain black)
No Colour slats in the dash panels

So basically we are paying more for less again in the UK, looks like a S3 inside to me :rolleyes:

MK7 GTi