Author Topic: Thermostat housing / Water pump / Coolant level.  (Read 5780 times)

Offline clubsport

• I live here
Thermostat housing / Water pump / Coolant level.
« on: 14 November 2019, 16:06 »
(I thought it best to start a new thread with this question rather than hi jack an existing thread).

Like many, I had the misfortune to experience the Water pump, thermostat housing, cooling warning lamp " issue" on my previous GTi, a 2013 PP at around 25k miles.

Did VW manage to resolve this issue in later Mk7 & 7.5 variants, or is still to be expected as we approach 3 years & 30k miles?

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
Re: Thermostat housing / Water pump / Coolant level.
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2019, 20:27 »
When I had mine done, (14 plate 26k miles GTI) my local garage (a pal of mine) who replaced the pump told me the new pump had a steel body and impellor whereas the old one was all plastic,so this does suggest some modification of the pump has happened.

I appreciate this does not answer your query as to when/if they started fitting them to the cars but hopefully someone can expand a bit on this?

Cheers.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2019, 00:17 »
2016 GTI PP and mine went at 34k - replaced under warranty. I've since added another 30k without any issues.

Offline jezinbrum

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2021, 11:58 »
Strangely enough mine has just started letting go. Its been losing coolant for over a year but only just started leaving drops on the drive, which has become pools in a short space of time.

As car under warranty booked into my local VW agent who seems oblivious to any known issue with these parts. Having looked at a how to vid online to me it makes sense to replace the thermostat housing, water pump, union & drive belt at the same time as by looking at the quality of some of the parts each or all will fail soon after eachother.

Waiting to see what they decide to do after i droped the car off a week earlier than planned due to the increased loss of coolant.

Offline karlos

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2021, 00:03 »
Did VW manage to resolve this issue in later Mk7 & 7.5 variants, or is still to be expected as we approach 3 years & 30k miles?

The pump/thermostat housing has undergone several revisions, the latest I think is revision 'M'. I don't think they've ever fully got a grip on it.
2017 (67) GTI PP DSG. Tungsten Silver with DCC, Art Velours, Dynaudio, Climate Screen, Tints, Keyless, Rear Camera, Lane Assist, Seville wheels.

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2021, 07:06 »
Just had my water pump and housing replaced at 45k, (2015 PP). At a cost of £640. I'm going to ask a stupid question. There is a warranty issue on this or is it to be expected at this mileage and age? Cheers

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2021, 09:50 »
You would like to think that any replacement part would be a revised version and should be good for the life of the car.

This is the one thing I'm keeping an eye on for my 2019 car... just asking, but is there any acceptable amount of coolant drop over time?  I noticed at my last service (year 2) the technician filled the coolant up over the max to the level of the where the seam is for the expansion bottle.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2021, 12:48 »
Just had my water pump and housing replaced at 45k, (2015 PP). At a cost of £640. I'm going to ask a stupid question. There is a warranty issue on this or is it to be expected at this mileage and age? Cheers

The water pump and thermostat housing do seem to be weak points for VW. As far as warranty is concerned, they’ll be covered for the duration of the original factory warranty and the extended factory warranty (no longer available) if this option was purchased by the original owner. If these parts (or any parts for that matter) do fail while the car is under warranty, the replacement parts will be warranted up to the end of the factory warranty / extended factory warranty.

If they fail outside the warranty period then unfortunately you’re on your own. However, if the car’s been serviced and maintained within VW dealer network, there is a chance you may get a goodwill contribution from the dealer towards the cost of replacements. AFAIK replacements parts fitted by a VW dealer outside the warranty period have a two year warranty
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Aparat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2021, 15:03 »
You would like to think that any replacement part would be a revised version and should be good for the life of the car.

This is the one thing I'm keeping an eye on for my 2019 car... just asking, but is there any acceptable amount of coolant drop over time?  I noticed at my last service (year 2) the technician filled the coolant up over the max to the level of the where the seam is for the expansion bottle.

Just had it replaced on my car which is 2019 GTI PP at 26000 miles under warranty. It was a very slight leak from the thermostat housing and I mean very slight. I could only notice it looking at the expansion tank every 2 weeks or so.

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2021, 16:18 »

The water pump and thermostat housing do seem to be weak points for VW. As far as warranty is concerned, they’ll be covered for the duration of the original factory warranty and the extended factory warranty (no longer available) if this option was purchased by the original owner. If these parts (or any parts for that matter) do fail while the car is under warranty, the replacement parts will be warranted up to the end of the factory warranty / extended factory warranty.

If they fail outside the warranty period then unfortunately you’re on your own. However, if the car’s been serviced and maintained within VW dealer network, there is a chance you may get a goodwill contribution from the dealer towards the cost of replacements. AFAIK replacements parts fitted by a VW dealer outside the warranty period have a two year warranty

Thank you.. All clear now.

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP