Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 555837 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1680 on: 31 March 2018, 18:41 »
Busy few days....

1 week old Macan S - New Car Protection

RRS - Enhancement Detail

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1681 on: 01 April 2018, 00:38 »
Top work Jim :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1682 on: 01 April 2018, 17:18 »
Yesterday, the white Golf got it's first was this year. I have always used Fenwicks bike cleaner on the wheels, spray on, leave to dwell and power wash off. This time, as the paint really needed some decontamination, I used it on the whole car, to great effect. After powerwashing that off, it got a snow foaming, followed by a 3BM wash using lots of AG shampoo. After one pass with the wash mitt, I used a DoDo clay mitt in the second bucket of clean, shampooy water, followed by a second pass with the wash mitt and a powerwash rinse. Having rinsed again with an open hose, it looked like it was about to rain, so the tyres got dressed and that was it...for now.

I found a couple of stone chips on the bonnet, but have a chipex kit waiting in the wings. They will get addressed, hopefully tomorrow, then it will be left for a couple of days before it gets a couple of fresh coats of Auto Finesse Illusion wax.

The interior has been hoovered within an inch of it's life, and I have just coated the mats with AG Lifeshine interior Scotch Guard type stuff, just to see if it's any good.

Given that the car is just over a year old now, and it's not had much love. I have to say it's looking pretty good. If you can stand it, my extreme minimal contact over the winter aproach, could be the way forward in preventative maintenance.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #1683 on: 08 April 2018, 13:20 »
Well not done a great deal due to the rain again  but managed a foam and 2 bucket wash quick spruce inside and got the car dressed in its best clobber again ( got my 19" Santis ) back on after doin the C2 wheel armour last weekend  lol fingers crossed now no more snow  :whistle:
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1684 on: 10 April 2018, 15:55 »
My attempts to give my GTI a proper post-winter wash (well, post-March snow storms wash) have so far been thwarted by circumstance and the weather, but today I grabbed my chance (dry, and 11 degrees):

Pressure wash followed by snow-foam
Rinse
Citrus pre-wash
Rinse
Shampoo with Gyeon Bathe+
Rinse

I was going to dry the car with my BigBoi dryer, but went for the microfibre option.  The wheels were washed, waxed with Poorboys Wheel Wax (I prefer GTechniq C5, but thought I'd give the Poorboys wax a try.  It's easy to use, but really needs to be applied every few weeks, whereas the Gtechiq need only be applied two or three times per year), tyres dressed with GTechniq Tyre and Trim, glass cleaned with Stoners Invisible Glass and the black trim and grilles treated with Auto Finesse Dressle.  Honeycomb grilles are a pain in the backside.  No pics, sorry, but I'm pleased to have the car now looking as it should.

Next job will be the paintwork, which is ok apart from a few tar spots on the lower half of the body, so it will need a quick claying and a light going-over with the DA polisher. 

Quick edit 11 April 2018:  Woke this morning to find that it had been chucking it down with rain all night.  Imagine my delight.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2018, 16:04 by Dr Mike Oxgreen »

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1685 on: 17 April 2018, 18:53 »
Well seeing as forecast today was dull and overcast (they were right) and next few days sunny....ish.... :laugh: I thought I'd try new Karcher K4 for first time. Having upgraded from the K2 I have to say its a totally different animal, like its been to the gym and taken steroids. Really pleased with it...far easier to manoeuvre around the car and connections a lot better including lance holder storage, overall impression, excellent. I'll still probably look to upgrade the lance hose to the qwashers variety but its better than the hose on the K2.

Another first today was trying out VP Advanced Neutral snow foam instead of my previous AF Avalanche and another result!!...its really very good, good clingy foam coverage a lot better than the AF....I did think I'd gone too much in the dilution initially (approx 1:3 or 4 I think) but after a minute it was just starting to thin out, left it 5 minutes and it was running off nicely before I hosed it.......and it smells nice  :whistle:

Overall good day until it started to rain.....but I'd just got it towelled off in time so back in garage, polishy bits for tomorrow.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1686 on: 17 April 2018, 22:26 »
^^^
Looking good.

K4 is a good machine.  And VP ANSF is the best ime.  Built Hamburg Auto Foam very good too, but ANSW edges it.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1687 on: 18 April 2018, 20:14 »
Thanks Rebecca, once you've diluted the foam mix does it keep for any period of time say couple of weeks?....only reason for asking is that I made a full bottle and only used half foaming yesterday, being a tight ar5e I didn't want to waste it! :tongue:

I did try some Chemical Guys microfibres today, the red one for external bodywork seems a nice edgeless cloth but dont know why they've chosen to slap a decent sized sticker on the fabric which isn't possible to pull off without snipping the fibres?! 

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1688 on: 18 April 2018, 21:48 »
Thanks Rebecca, once you've diluted the foam mix does it keep for any period of time say couple of weeks?....only reason for asking is that I made a full bottle and only used half foaming yesterday, being a tight ar5e I didn't want to waste it! :tongue:

I did try some Chemical Guys microfibres today, the red one for external bodywork seems a nice edgeless cloth but dont know why they've chosen to slap a decent sized sticker on the fabric which isn't possible to pull off without snipping the fibres?! 

Yeah your made up solution will be fine for couple weeks. 

Labels let a good cloth down, although it depends what the label is made of. If it’s silky they are ok, but if scratchy!!! 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline ne0star

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1689 on: 19 April 2018, 09:37 »
I impulse purchased a K4 Premium with the hose reel from their refurb store when they had an easter sale on.  I have to say I'm really pleased with it.  Its much easier to wheel about and the cables and hoses don't get tangled as easily.

The whole full control with LED display is a bit of a gimmick though.  Its the same as my old Karcher where you twist the nozzle to change the pressure and all the display does is represent that.
2018 Golf GTI DSG in Deep Pearl Black