Author Topic: New battery  (Read 3315 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: New battery
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2021, 13:07 »
Will the Halfords battery be a straight swap or require coding with my OBD11 ?
it needs coding, can affect stop/start if not 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

steve12345

« Reply #11 on: 10 July 2021, 16:19 »
Hi, apologies to bring up old thread.

My original battery gave up yesterday morning, after 7 years / 65k miles.

I managed to get a replacement Varta AGM battery delivered this morning and swopped it over. All seems fine after all the initial Christmas tree of errors and lights on the first start up. A short drive and all the errors cleared. I then switched the engine off and back on again. All seems fine - happy days.

Now got me thinking do I still need to get the new battery coded? I haven’t got the kit to do this, but car seems fine for now at least?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 10 July 2021, 18:15 »
It's better to get the battery coded if you can to ensure the car recognises it as a new battery and that the battery type is AGM.

You may well be ok as is, but if it's coded correctly then at least you'll know for sure.
7.5 GTD

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 12 July 2021, 19:48 »
A quick Google search says you may be ok if you're swapping an AGM battery that was coded for a new AGM battery. But if you're swapping from lead-acid to AGM then it should be coded as it may have different charge cycles.

Also, the car may think it has the old faulty battery still in the car and that could causing under or overcharging of the battery causing it to fail faster or the car not to start. Another website says alternator failure can be caused by not coding a new battery but not sure how true that is

If you know someone with an OBD11, Carista, or similar then it might be worth asking them for help coding it

Since im posting this message already I have an update on my faulty battery - Every time I check it the battery charge is around 11.5v but it still starts first time every time and I've had no issues at all. I've turned off stop/start to try and help it but that wasn't working anyway

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #14 on: 13 July 2021, 10:33 »
Is the 11.5V on OBDEleven or a decent multimeter directly at the poles?
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 18 July 2021, 13:43 »
Is the 11.5V on OBDEleven or a decent multimeter directly at the poles?

Tested with mustimeter the other day and it said 12.3v. 5 min later the OBD11 said 11.7V so doesn't seem to be completely accurate. I'm still keeping an eye on the battery level every now and again but disabling stop/start with the OBD might've helped