Author Topic: Engine cover poll  (Read 1002 times)

Offline GtIOlly

• Not said much yet
Engine cover poll
« on: 18 June 2023, 16:04 »
Hi all could you please vote on this poll if you haven't already, its for an email @engine cover is sending to VW and all the data should hopefully help our case about geting our engine covers replaced.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf-KwGDIOapqUXYI6O61W3tiVVWLvTISSqCbR6EbO7Y27b2Ng/viewform?usp=sf_link

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
Re: Engine cover poll
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2023, 22:36 »
My car was new in 2021 so came with an engine cover.  It was taken away by the VW Stealer about 4 months ago, so I've completed the form.   And yes I want it replaced.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2023, 08:24 »
Hi all could you please vote on this poll if you haven't already, its for an email @engine cover is sending to VW and all the data should hopefully help our case about geting our engine covers replaced.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf-KwGDIOapqUXYI6O61W3tiVVWLvTISSqCbR6EbO7Y27b2Ng/viewform?usp=sf_link

How many have you got on this so far?
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline GtIOlly

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2023, 15:23 »
43 responseses ,ngl thought there'd be more after a week than this

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2023, 17:51 »

If it’s only mk8 GTI owners on this forum who have been asked to respond, then the overall population size that the poll is aimed at will be quite small which might help explain the low response rate. Additionally;
  • some forum members might not visit the forum very frequently / every week.
  • compared to previous generations of Golf GTI, there’s likely be fewer owners of the current generation car, due to the issues with supply chain shortages and excessively long lead times, resulting in fewer cars having been built.
  • if some mk8 owners are first time Golf GTI owners, they might not be bothered at the absence of an engine cover that previous generation cars have had and the mk8 should have; maybe a bit of a ‘what you’ve never had, you never miss’ attitude?
  • surprisingly, there may be some owners who don’t lift the bonnet many times - if at all :shocked:, so a missing engine cover might not bother them. I’ve read on some VAG forums of owners not lifting the bonnet on their car once after having owned it for getting on for a year!
To increase the poll overall response rate to a level that’ll be more likely to make VW sit up and take notice, maybe consideration needs to be given to also polling mk8 owners on social media - I’m assuming there’ll be a Golf GTI owner group on the likes of Facebook?

I don’t have a mk8 GTI so this doesn’t affect me. However, if my car’s engine cover had been confiscated, or the car was delivered without an engine cover when it should have one, I’d want a cover.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline GtIOlly

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2023, 19:31 »

If it’s only mk8 GTI owners on this forum who have been asked to respond, then the overall population size that the poll is aimed at will be quite small which might help explain the low response rate. Additionally;
  • some forum members might not visit the forum very frequently / every week.
  • compared to previous generations of Golf GTI, there’s likely be fewer owners of the current generation car, due to the issues with supply chain shortages and excessively long lead times, resulting in fewer cars having been built.
  • if some mk8 owners are first time Golf GTI owners, they might not be bothered at the absence of an engine cover that previous generation cars have had and the mk8 should have; maybe a bit of a ‘what you’ve never had, you never miss’ attitude?
  • surprisingly, there may be some owners who don’t lift the bonnet many times - if at all :shocked:, so a missing engine cover might not bother them. I’ve read on some VAG forums of owners not lifting the bonnet on their car once after having owned it for getting on for a year!
To increase the poll overall response rate to a level that’ll be more likely to make VW sit up and take notice, maybe consideration needs to be given to also polling mk8 owners on social media - I’m assuming there’ll be a Golf GTI owner group on the likes of Facebook?

I don’t have a mk8 GTI so this doesn’t affect me. However, if my car’s engine cover had been confiscated, or the car was delivered without an engine cover when it should have one, I’d want a cover.

Thanks for the advice,  not sure what I expected tbh was more just to try and get some numbers via this forum for an email a fellow member is sending to vw , if thay don't seem to look at that email then possibly trying to get a poll out via social networks would be a good idea or even try and talk to dealers to see if thay can forward a link to there knows mk8 owners but not sure if GDPR would alow that
Thanks again for the advice