Author Topic: It's electric! ID3 Pickup.  (Read 6880 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: It's electric! ID3 Pickup.
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2021, 08:49 »
A car collection thread without any pictures?!!

Do quite like the ID3 in the right spec but so many of them I've seen in weird colour combos.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2021, 14:21 »
Spent 5 minutes filling the tank, drove over 300 miles, had a laugh on the way.
No drama.

That's the upside to the GTI/R. doing over 200 miles in one day is going to be an extremely rare event for me. The other side of the coin is that I could drive the ID3 like I stole it and still be paying less than 2p a mile in fuel on an overnight cheap rate charge.

An EV would be ideal for me, work from home, hardly ever go on long trips anymore and do about 3k pa, but I just find them soulless, probably an age thing.

To be honest, I'm finding most modern cars soulless - that's the price of refinement and capability. Driving a GTI or an R at legal speeds is just too easy and uneventful. You kind of want to be in a car that handles well but be in a bit of fear it could bite if you do something stupid. Driving at 60-80 is as uneventful as driving along on a 40 road. My R wasn't an exciting drive, except that few seconds of hard acceleration from 5000-6500rpm (and that noise).

We're relinquishing more and more driver control and getting less out in driving experience.

I pity the kids getting into cars now, having never experienced a proper raw 90s hot hatch. My Cousin's kids around 20 years old have no interest in cars beyond being a means of getting from A to B. I can't ignore the practical aspects of the ID3 for the kids sake. If I want this kind of interior space elsewhere, it would have to be an SUV  :sick:

It's pretty low on overall compromises (apart from range!). Drives nicely, but lack of noise is plain weird and if you do all your charging at home, you can run it for coppers. That won't last long!
« Last Edit: 10 May 2021, 15:30 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2021, 14:26 »
A car collection thread without any pictures?!!

Do quite like the ID3 in the right spec but so many of them I've seen in weird colour combos.

Was waiting for nice weather and the opportunity to prep it properly - managed the latter part yesterday and this morning - can't help the weather though!

Pics from the end of my street:-

jpg hosting

Admittedly, the seat cloth is a bit 1989 MK2 Golf GL, but the drivers console means I'm not staring at a clowns face when driving (no dials/eyes).

The white paint seems a bit of a let down in that it is "Glacier White metallic", but it doesn't look metallic. Maybe I need an exceptionally sunny day for it to not look like a solid white.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2021, 14:49 by monkeyhanger »

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2021, 16:14 »
Spent 5 minutes filling the tank, drove over 300 miles, had a laugh on the way.
No drama.

That's the upside to the GTI/R. doing over 200 miles in one day is going to be an extremely rare event for me. The other side of the coin is that I could drive the ID3 like I stole it and still be paying less than 2p a mile in fuel on an overnight cheap rate charge.

An EV would be ideal for me, work from home, hardly ever go on long trips anymore and do about 3k pa, but I just find them soulless, probably an age thing.

To be honest, I'm finding most modern cars soulless - that's the price of refinement and capability. Driving a GTI or an R at legal speeds is just too easy and uneventful. You kind of want to be in a car that handles well but be in a bit of fear it could bite if you do something stupid. Driving at 60-80 is as uneventful as driving along on a 40 road. My R wasn't an exciting drive, except that few seconds of hard acceleration from 5000-6500rpm (and that noise).

You need a Morgan or a Caterham!  :grin:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2021, 16:45 »
Thankfully I don't have the white dash and steering wheel.  Everything is anthracite, even the headlining.

The door cards are softer and less shiny than those on the Polo, not as soft as the upper parts of the MK7 door cards, but softer than the lower parts of the Golf's door cards. The dash top is in 3 parts, with the one nearest the windscreen being hardest, with soft rubberised front top of the dash. The only bits I'm not keen on is the large piano black section of the door grab handle on all doors. Someone successfully wrapped those  so they weren't the huge fingerprint magnets. It all ties in quite nicely, it's as easy to say "minimalist" as it is to say "cheap". Everything in there has a place, with nothing superfluous. You don't really get it from the pictures on the website,but in the flesh it seems justifiable when you see how much interior room the ID3 has. The kids have an extra 4 inches of legroom behind my desired seating position than they had on the Polo, which was only marginally less than the Golf.

It feels solidly built - not a squeak or rattle - perhaps there's more precautions taken to.minimise noises as you'll hear them all with the motor being so quiet.
The Irish VW website shows they have access to front sports seats as an option on the higher trims, for €1350. They look very retro, like they belong.on a 90s Porsche.

Performance wise, 0-62 feels like it's more in the realms of 6.5s than the official 7.3s. Torque is just instantly delivered - no turbo lag, no wheelspin/tramping or DSG gear engagement lag, so in gear acceleration feels even quicker than the Polo with no kickdown to take place. There's some YouTube reviewer that reckons the ID3 under review was quicker than the RS7 from 0-30mph.

Did 13 miles around the doors today and economy was much better, even though I was putting my foot down. Air resistance at motorway speeds seems to take a huge bite of fuel economy.  263 mile official range - I'd say you'll probably manage it above 15C if it's done in mixed driving.

Thanks for that, really interesting to read.
I was wondering how a light interior would hold up with kids and dog but that’s obviously not a worry.
Really good to read that it has a dark headliner too. I’ve always had a dislike of light coloured headliners.

The car looks nice in the photos, I see a few white ones around locally and there’s a white ID.4 around the corner from me (that never ever seems to move!), the white/black theme suits the shapes of them well.

Agreed also on how nearly all modern cars lack soul.
Aside from the exhaust burble at startup and under heavy acceleration there’s not a huge amount of noise coming out of modern OPF equipped cars that can be heard in the cabin.
I’d settle for artificial 1960’s movie spaceship noises piped in rather than the fake Subaru with a misfire noises the Soundaktor treats us to.
There’s absolutely no reason a BEV can’t handle at least as well as ICE vehicles and acceleration should be better at normal road speeds. Bearing in mind your average motorist aspires to an SUV these days and the middle class chariot of choice is a huge Audi or Porsche 4WD SUV to make sure the world knows how wealthy the leasers are I can’t think of anything less suitable for these vehicles than a high revving petrol (often dragging round hybrid weight too). Instant electric torque and a battery under the floor keeping the centre of gravity low would surely be perfect?

And yes, not too many youngsters have any interest in cars these days aside from either being vessels to ferry their mates around in whilst plugged into CarPlay, or as status symbols for the lucky ones with huge Audi SUV owning parents.

I’m not one for rose tinted specs but I think the pre-OPF mk7 Golf era hot hatches were the pinnacle of affordable, comfy, classy, fast, good handling hatches. Or maybe the mk5 Golf actually as it was more solid and drove pretty much as well. But the world has moved on and the ID.3 would give a mk5/6/7 GTI a very good run for its money I’d bet.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2021, 19:30 »
^ The MK5 was the pinnacle for me. The last truly mechanical Golf, solid, had the most sophisticated rear suspension set up ever seen on a Golf and no cheaping out by VW...all at a reasonable price (before rampant car RRP inflation). Little touches like the VW brushed stainless steel cup holder separator/bottle opener would be an extravagance too far now (still have mine from my 2007 GT Sport 170TDI PD).

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2021, 22:12 »
MH, I know they are probably more than up to the task, but are they drum brakes at the rear ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2021, 22:26 »
MH, I know they are probably more than up to the task, but are they drum brakes at the rear ?

Yep, drums on the rear, but the drums look huge and intricate vs the ones you'd see on a 1.2 Corsa. The very closed design of the steel wheels and all alloy variants means they're not very noticeable.

By and large, although we all want discs all round for aesthetics (when we can see them)  the rear brakes aren't doing a lot on most cars, there for stability and parking brakes. On the ID3, all braking force to about 0.25g is handled by the regen device (like a bike dynamo) to put charge back in the battery. On normal use, about 90% of my braking isn't using the brakes at all. If you have to really step on the brakes then the front discs and rear drums are coming into play. 

The braking via regen uses the satnav data passively to start slowing the car down when coming towards a roundabout if you've lifted off the accelerator.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2021, 22:37 »
The predictive braking thing sounds exactly like the mk8 does on travel assist... Except for a different purpose on the id3.

There really is quite a lot of why the mk8 being like it is is down to commonality with the new bev range... Which is either sharing technology for cost reduction sake or to prime everyone for their electric future.  Or maybe a bit of both.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2021, 06:41 »
Just discovered a minor annoyances that I'm wondering if the MK8 Golf has, as a lot of the tech is the same...

Mirror dip on reverse is set, but as the new mirror switches forget you left it in "L" after every ignition cycle, you have to select L on every journey that you want the mirror dip to work.

The switch is more of a toggle to cycle left or right around the circular mirror options, it doesn't physically point to anything, your selection lights up when toggled, for the ignition cycle only.

Is this a thing on the MK8, or does it remember electric mirror adjustment switch position after an ignition cycle?