Author Topic: GTI Mk8 Issues  (Read 3758 times)

Offline DB88

• Not said much yet
GTI Mk8 Issues
« on: 06 May 2021, 19:17 »
Anybody have issues with auto hold on GTI Mk8 not working,mine stopped working 2 weeks ago and VW are telling me it’s software and it won’t be updated for at least 3 months😏surely if it was software it’d be happening on all the cars,I’ve told dealer I’m refusing to take the car back as on hills in particular I’d have to press break,release handbrake button and get off clutch and on accelerator at same time hoping car doesn’t roll into the car behind me😑they are discussing possibly ordering me new car which could take 6-9 months but I’ve spoken to somebody who said they should just replace ECU with new unit or replace ABS/ESP hydraulic unit for starters any input would be greatly appreciated

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: GTI Mk8 Issues
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2021, 20:07 »
Manual box?

I've not encountered anyone with a manual gti in the UK yet...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline DB88

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2021, 21:14 »
Yes Manual Gearbox

Offline DB88

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2021, 21:15 »
Manual box?

I've not encountered anyone with a manual gti in the UK yet...
yes manual gearbox

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2021, 21:34 »
The number of manual cars out there is really small and the brake system is controlled by software... It could well be a software problem...

Is it intermittent? Because most mk8 problems are...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline DB88

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2021, 21:54 »
The number of manual cars out there is really small and the brake system is controlled by software... It could well be a software problem...

Is it intermittent? Because most mk8 problems are...
No this is permanent since it first happened car just won’t move with auto hold on I’ve heard New ECU could fix issue so need to talk to dealership

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2021, 22:18 »
Quick Google around, it's something that was seen on the mk7 from time to time.

On that it was the clutch position sensor. It's basically not sensing you try to pull away and therefore not releasing.

Could well be the same cause on yours, suggest that to your dealer...

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2021, 07:49 »
Annoying that it’s not working, but I certainly wouldn’t refuse to use the car. Hill start used to be part of the drivers test! People rely on driver aids too much

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2021, 09:58 »
Annoying that it’s not working, but I certainly wouldn’t refuse to use the car. Hill start used to be part of the drivers test! People rely on driver aids too much
I would hope it still is! Some cars still have a mechanical lever that you pull to hold the car in place. Shock horror 😀

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2021, 10:11 »
Auto-hold is the one function I turned-off as soon as I bought my car, just can't see the need for it with a DSG box.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.