Author Topic: GTI Clubsport - Test Drive wanted!  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
Re: GTI Clubsport - Test Drive wanted!
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2021, 15:29 »
I don't think VW have ever offered 24hr test drives - or not in my time with VW anyway.

I asked my local dealer for a 2 hour test drive and they told me I could have 30 mins, in the end giving me an hour.

BMW have a centralised marketing time and they can provide 24hrs test drives, sometimes even 48hrs.

When I asked about extended test drives and was told 'nope', the dealer did say that VW UK had offered extended test drives on the ID.3, but this was managed by VW UK.

From a quick Google-fu it looks like VW UK did offer 48 hour test drives of the e-Golf and Touareg a couple of years back in 2019; not that helps now of course.  Well except that VW UK have had test drive promotions before...

Sounds like it's a tad hit and miss on extended test drives then and depends on UK location, dealer enthusiasm and what phase the Moon's in.:grin:

Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline BanksyGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2021, 22:37 »
Hi BanksyGTI

Had a similar problem as you, see you're in Leicestershire.  So I suspect we share the same local VW dealer group (not sure if it's against forum rules to list dealers, so won't just in case :lipsrsealed:). I was told on enquiring they hadn't got any Clubsports or Rs to test drive, so it was a case of me doing a 'local' ring around.  Tried Bedford - no demos there either. 

Ended up I had to go to Milton Keynes to test drive a Clubsport.  This week I was supposed to test drive their Golf R demo, had booked a test drive appointment.  But on arrival I found out they'd sold it just before I got there  :sad:,  so ended up asking if I could take a Clubsport out again for another 20 min test drive.  Spec was passive dampers on 18" wheels.

I asked about how to I go about getting an extended test drive of either and was told they don't offer them. Was going to ping VW UK Customer Services on this.  Seems mad that VW's UK marketing dept. gives social media influencers and car journalists extended access, but VW don't offer the same access to potential customers.  :sad:

Bluto
I rang round the most local dealers in the area (Leicester Parkway have two but aren’t running either!!)
Completely agree about access to demos, sadly they put too much reliance on the dealer set-up which is so focused on margins.
I have a friend at Johnsons Tamworth who I use for all VW sales but he said they weren’t registering a CS and don’t plan to! He has ordered himself an ED45 demo to make up for it though... but that’s not here for a while!
As it turns out, I may get a go in the one at Johnsons Sutton Coldfield.... as long as it doesn’t sell

Offline ash_rage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2021, 08:52 »
I had the worse test drive experience ever a few weeks back.

I purchased a normal Clubsport during lockdown when I couldn’t test drive cars.

Once I purchased the car I was unable to make contact with the sales guy.  I tried via email, phone and via car wow, at first I did get some replies to set up a test drive but nothing after.  I got a confirmation email the night before the test drive.  I do not live near the dealer in question and had to travel for 90 minutes.  On arriving I was told that the sales guy wasn’t in, I was asked to take a seat and then was questioned as to how the order and test drive was placed and if I had it in writing, I confirmed this I also outlined the whole situation and complained as the after care had been terrible.  The gentlemen then left me for a short while before telling me there was no car to drive and there was nothing they could do today and I should contact the sales manager and gave me his business card, The staff at the dealership were cold and un sympathic to the situation.

Needless to say I cancelled the order and placed an order for a e45 elsewhere.
Golf GTI Clubsport 45 (2022)

Offline Dav3smith

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2021, 10:24 »
I'd be furious if that happened to me and I'd by going to the top and "cc"ing the person who let you down in on the email.

If you don't complain you can't expect them to improve their service as they just get away with it. If nothing else it always makes me feel better knowing I have done all I could and it may help the next person.

Here is a list of the people you need to contact

https://www.vwpress.co.uk/en-gb/biographies/volkswagen-uk

Here are a couple of contact details:-

andrew.savvas@volkswagen.co.uk he is the head of Volkswagen UK passenger cars
and if you want to go to the top of the pile the CEO of Volkswagen is Herbert Diess
herbert.diess@volkswagen.de
Good luck
GTI Clubsport ED45 DBP, DCC, HK, WP, Pano

Gone Golf R 7.5
Gone GTI 7

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2021, 11:57 »
VW won't give a sh1t.

They sell millions of cars, even if they imagine you will buy something other than a VW, they won't care.

I agree its not good enough, but they won't care enough to offer any help.

The CS is a minor selling variant of their cars, they probably haven't got production numbers to supply it anyway.

Between Covid shutdowns, semiconductor shortages and electric vehicles, not selling a CS to you is such a tiny problem.

I know its frustrating though - I went through the same to get my Mk8 GTI that I thought was going to be January 2020 but in the end was March 2021.... no product, no demos, no test drives, long order times....

If its any consolation, I happen to know its not a unique VW problem either.... I don't think VW have talked about options not being available...and even in flight orders having them removed. BMW have!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ash_rage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2021, 13:47 »
I did complain. They offered discounts etc. Told them to get stuffed. Worked out for the better as I got a e45

Well aware that one car sale means nothing to them
Golf GTI Clubsport 45 (2022)