Author Topic: The answer to the R paddles retrofit....  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
The answer to the R paddles retrofit....
« on: 02 May 2021, 19:03 »
https://youtu.be/zRVk-psPTIU

Not sure if posted up already and I haven’t watched it myself yet.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: The answer to the R paddles retrofit....
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2021, 19:09 »
£250. Gulp.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2021, 20:16 »
Not just £250, didn't he say they were plastic?

Aftermarket aluminium or carbon would be a nice enhancement?

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2021, 20:37 »
Just watched it and he says he hasn’t seen/done the same on a 7.5 where it was possible to remove the pins without dismantling the steering wheel and just replace the actual paddles rather than whole mechanism.

Without poking about behind the steering wheel on a car not sure if it would be possible to push the pin out to just change the paddle itself - definitely less visible and on a 7.5 looked really easy see here https://youtu.be/mpPITcH_ZQ0

Would love to do it, but would want confirmation not a warranty invalidator - and some of here have reported having to have steering wheel changes (presumably under warranty) so bit of a risk
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2021, 23:25 »
£250. Gulp.

Oops, just seen you put the link in another thread. D’oh!
I was just about to wash the dishes when a random notification popped up on screen so I posted it quickly without checking properly.
I’ve still not got round to watching it, at £250 I won’t rush to do so  :shocked:  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Kraikkonen07

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2021, 14:40 »
Spoke to a Volkswagen service team the other day regarding warranty. They said it was a bit of a grey area because even though it’s a vw oem part it’s not a factory specification. So if there’s a gearbox fault it could be put down to the paddles, but there was not a definitive yes or no answer.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2021, 15:05 »
Well, yes, in theory any changes you make to your car they could in theory have a strop about it if you made a warranty claim later.... and swapping switch gear out is different to just changing the physical panel things.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2021, 16:04 »
Spoke to a Volkswagen service team the other day regarding warranty. They said it was a bit of a grey area because even though it’s a vw oem part it’s not a factory specification. So if there’s a gearbox fault it could be put down to the paddles, but there was not a definitive yes or no answer.

Typical bell ends, I would be furious if they tried to deny a claim based on that!

MK7 GTi

Offline Kraikkonen07

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2021, 16:31 »
It’s a pretty easy job to change tbh, just swap them back over quickly If you’ve got an issue

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2021, 19:56 »
New aluminum paddles at 10% the cost of the R Plastic paddles
Look and feel good on the hand

ordered on 30/09/2020 
GTI, Pure White, Business Premium Pack, Fog light, Tinted side & rear windows,   "Richmond" alloy wheels 18, Belmont winter wheels,  IQ.LIGHT  LED Metrix, pick up Autostadt Wolfsburg.