Author Topic: Golf GTI TCR Options  (Read 7133 times)

Offline Steve04

• Just got here
Golf GTI TCR Options
« on: 19 April 2021, 23:20 »
Hi all,

I currently own a MK6 Polo GTI. In the near future I'd like to get a MK7.5 GTI TCR.

Constantly on the lookout for either a White/Grey, Performance Pack, Reifnitz Alloys and Red Cloth stitching. Finding it quite hard to come by!  :grin:

Just wanted to know is it worth having the Performance Pack on the car? And is that the highest spec available? (in terms of power).

Cheers  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 19 April 2021, 23:22 by Steve04 »
Current: Polo GTI+ 2019

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Golf GTI TCR Options
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2021, 23:33 »
Performance Pack on the TCR doesn't give any extra power, it's still 290ps.

The pack includes 19 inch wheels (Pretoria or Reifnitz), dynamic chassis control and speed limit increased to 164mph. The pack with Pretoria's also included semi-slick tyres.
7.5 GTD

Offline Steve04

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2021, 23:48 »
Thanks for the reply mate.  :smiley:

Trying to hunt down the exact spec will be fun!

Adding onto the first post. The Polo GTI has a couple of minor issues (squeaky brakes when reversing, few rattles in the car, DSG can be a bit jumpy, throttle response not always the best). Is there anything to be aware of in terms of issues with the TCR?
« Last Edit: 19 April 2021, 23:55 by Steve04 »

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2021, 07:59 »

Adding onto the first post. The Polo GTI has a couple of minor issues (squeaky brakes when reversing, few rattles in the car, DSG can be a bit jumpy, throttle response not always the best). Is there anything to be aware of in terms of issues with the TCR?

Some late date mk7.5 Golf GTI TCR models with the optional panoramic sunroof have suffered from cracks in the sunroof surround (not just TCR models; owners of late date Golf R’s over on VWROC.com forum have also had the same issue). Have a read of this discussion thread;

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=286255.0

Also be aware that if the list price of the car was in excess of £40k when first registered (many GTI TCR’s did have a £40k plus list price), it’ll fall into the luxury VED band, so annual road tax will cost £490 per year at current rates (standard VED rate of £155, plus luxury rate of £335). Luxury VED applies for five years from the second time the vehicle is taxed (so from years 2-6).

You’ve said your existing car has a few rattles. Any car can suffer from interior rattles and squeaks - even premium cars costing significantly more than a VW Polo GTI or a Golf GTI TCR, so there’s a chance that upgrading to a Golf doesn’t eliminate unwanted interior noises.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2021, 08:51 »
Constantly on the lookout for either a White/Grey, Performance Pack, Reifnitz Alloys and Red Cloth stitching. Finding it quite hard to come by!  :grin:

Just wanted to know is it worth having the Performance Pack on the car? And is that the highest spec available? (in terms of power).

There's only two seat options, cloth and leather. Leather seems very rare so that's one issue out of the way! White and grey pretty common too. As to the performance pack, is it worth it? The top speed increase is academic. DCC is raved about but is it essential? No. Personally I wouldn't be too bothered particularly if you stick with the standard 18s which are excellent. I liked the Reifnitz hence that was my choice, not a need.

Otherwise 69 plate cars onwards will mostly have the Akra exhaust but also more likely to be in the higher tax bracket as SR said. Sunroof issues seem finally to be addressed by VW so if you get one and it goes, not ideal but at least there should be no warranty issues now. There are a few other possible options but really the car is very highly specced as standard so just go for it!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2021, 08:55 »
No complaints with mine, I got lucky and the hunt didn’t take too long but they are rare and I had to travel to get mine.

As for tax, mine was listed at 39,900 so the dealer who spec’d it knew what they were doing and added everything they could to keep below.

As for PP, 19” fill the space much better and look nicer than 18” IMO and the DCC makes a difference. When the car set 8:05 on the Ring it did it in comfort mode with the DCC.

Good luck with hunt as last I looked on autotrader only about 25-30 nationally.
« Last Edit: 20 April 2021, 09:00 by Kpow99 »
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2021, 08:57 »
At least one respected (that will make him laugh) member on here hated DCC on the TCR to the point at which he got rid of the car. And it was very much a TCR-DCC combination that caused the hate.

I'm a bit of a DCC sceptic too (despite 2 out of 3 of the Golfs I've had with it....) and wouldn't make that an essential in choosing another car at all.

Remember also that the TCR likes to drink 98 only really. Factor that into your man-maths.

The TCR is a great car, it really is, but it wasn't cheap when it came out and it still isn't.

Watch that you don't get caught in the current TCR fetishisation and spend more money on that than a brand new Mk8 Clubsport - which in many ways is an even better driving car (although not without some other downsides, but driving is not one of them)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2021, 08:58 »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if it's a special model with a unique colour (Pure Grey) get it! I know too many people that regretted not getting the Deep Pearl Blue in the mk5 R32, on down the line.

Every car will have issues even Rolls Royce and Bentleys, I wouldn't get too hung up on them especially with a car that will most likely still have some manufacturer warranty. I have a sunroof on my GTI and use it everyday, it's just easier to be a dictator with a sunroof.  :grin: I also have 19's and no DCC and never found it uncomfortable.

From memory later TCR's had the Akrapovic Exhaust and rear view camera as standard, which I'd have a think about if your budget to stretch that bit extra since titanium exhausts are horrendously expensive.     

Would you be after a 3 door or a 5 door version?  :smiley:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Steve04

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2021, 09:53 »

Some late date mk7.5 Golf GTI TCR models with the optional panoramic sunroof have suffered from cracks in the sunroof surround (not just TCR models; owners of late date Golf R’s over on VWROC.com forum have also had the same issue). Have a read of this discussion thread;

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=286255.0

Also be aware that if the list price of the car was in excess of £40k when first registered (many GTI TCR’s did have a £40k plus list price), it’ll fall into the luxury VED band, so annual road tax will cost £490 per year at current rates (standard VED rate of £155, plus luxury rate of £335). Luxury VED applies for five years from the second time the vehicle is taxed (so from years 2-6).

You’ve said your existing car has a few rattles. Any car can suffer from interior rattles and squeaks - even premium cars costing significantly more than a VW Polo GTI or a Golf GTI TCR, so there’s a chance that upgrading to a Golf doesn’t eliminate unwanted interior noises.

Thanks for the advice SRGTD. We've spoken quite a bit over on the Polo forum!

I've got to say I love the Polo GTI and would be really sad to see it go, the problems I mentioned are extremely minor and not a reason for getting rid (if I did). Since laying eyes on a Grey TCR in a VW dealership I've wanted one!  :grin:

Wasn't aware of the tax difference, so thanks for that. Will be heading into VW in a months time to have the Polo serviced, will have a chat with them and see if they've got anything or know of one anywhere.
« Last Edit: 20 April 2021, 09:57 by Steve04 »

Offline Steve04

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2021, 09:56 »
Thanks everyone else for your input, very helpful. Interesting to hear the difference of opinions regarding PP/DCC. I've never driven a car with DCC so it would be good to have a test drive (difficult with COVID).

@willni; I'd be looking for a 5-door, I tend to travel a lot with friends so this would be a bit more convenient.

How is the MPG with the TCR?