Author Topic: Moving on from my GTI....  (Read 3931 times)

Offline DaveA

• Not said much yet
Moving on from my GTI....
« on: 16 April 2021, 16:35 »
After nearly two years with my GTI 245 Performance, I have decided to move it on and have just ordered an M135i to replace it…

Truth is, although there is much to like about the GTI, and it scratched an itch in that I always wanted to try a one over the years, the reality is that mine never really lived up to my expectations of it, in a number of ways (am sure there are some hints about that in some of my writings on here)…

It’ll make a cracking car for the right person… Big spec, great condition, 2 years old and barely run in…

But, my time with it is now coming to a close…

I have enjoyed participating in this forum over the last few years… I have found a generally good group of people with a shared/common interest… and I have picked up some useful hints and tips along the way from here, for sure…

So, the change will be in Jun, so until then, the last couple of months of ownership is ahead…

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Re: Moving on from my GTI....
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2021, 19:16 »
Sorry to hear it hasn’t met your expectations. Would be interested to hear in what way it hasn’t?
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2021, 20:50 »
Sorry to hear it hasn’t met your expectations. Would be interested to hear in what way it hasn’t?

Have a look through his previous posts...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2021, 21:26 »
Ah, just worked out how to do that- “ the noisy people’s car” thread.
Still no rattles in mine after 15k miles. I need to drive it harder 😂

Offline DaveA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2021, 11:07 »

Since I picked up the car I have suffered many different rattles and noises in the car, particularly with the Pano roof, the seats and the areas around the a pillars... I do not suggest that this is a characteristic of the model, and it is possible that I have been somewhat unlucky with my particular vehicle, but, nonetheless, my car has now been back and forth to the dealers too many times for my liking in order to try and resolve things (which was not helped by covid restrictions) and I just felt that I should not be having to do that...

VW customer service were nice enough to deal with, as were my local dealer, but I just got the impression this was not something they were going to be moving heaven and earth to resolve in the sort of way in which I felt it ought to be resolved... We agreed to disagree about this, as one must eventually do...

Fortunately, I am able to now make the change without a huge financial penalty...

This is a quite personal thing. The person who eventually buys my car may not even be bothered by the things that annoy me intensely...

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2021, 11:45 »
I take it you have ordered an F40 M135i?

I have one of those-what colour/spec have you gone for?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2021, 12:06 »
The M135i is a great choice of successor.
I really enjoyed my time with one. I can’t think of any real negatives about it at all.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline DaveA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2021, 12:12 »
I take it you have ordered an F40 M135i?

I have one of those-what colour/spec have you gone for?

Misano Blue, Standard interior/wheels, and a fair sprinkling of goodies available from the options list to "make life easier"...  :grin: :grin:

The 18 inch wheels look fine to me but I am thinking I can take a view over the first 6/12 months and upgrade to 19's later if I feel like it... I (personally) would not have the BMW 19's, but go for something like the Bola wheels...

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2021, 21:30 »

Since I picked up the car I have suffered many different rattles and noises in the car, particularly with the Pano roof, the seats and the areas around the a pillars... I do not suggest that this is a characteristic of the model, and it is possible that I have been somewhat unlucky with my particular vehicle, but, nonetheless, my car has now been back and forth to the dealers too many times for my liking in order to try and resolve things (which was not helped by covid restrictions) and I just felt that I should not be having to do that...

VW customer service were nice enough to deal with, as were my local dealer, but I just got the impression this was not something they were going to be moving heaven and earth to resolve in the sort of way in which I felt it ought to be resolved... We agreed to disagree about this, as one must eventually do...

Fortunately, I am able to now make the change without a huge financial penalty...

This is a quite personal thing. The person who eventually buys my car may not even be bothered by the things that annoy me intensely...

Panoramic roof is one thing I would avoid on these hatchbacks. Complaints about them seem far too common. And all that weight on the roof.
Works well in my mpv, but I really wouldn’t have one in a hot hatch.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 17 April 2021, 22:23 »
Does your 205 not have a sunroof? Many of them did.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner