Author Topic: Wing mirror glass Mk7.5  (Read 3269 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Wing mirror glass Mk7.5
« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2023, 09:46 »
My first car had neither door mirrors nor traditional old-style wing mounted mirrors - the only mirror it had was the interior windscreen mounted rear view mirror :shocked:. That was back in the 1970’s in a 1970 Mini and looking over your shoulder when joining traffic or when pulling away from rest became second nature.

You could see out of older cars much better than modern ones but then you needed to given how bad they were if you had an accident!

Agree. I wouldn’t wanted to have been in a moderately serious or serious accident in my 1970 British Leyland Mini. Chances of survival would’ve been very low to non-existent.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 13 February 2023, 12:14 »
In 1979 I crashed a Mini Clubman because of my inexperienced/bad driving. I missed the apex of a bend on a country road and hit a telegraph pole. It could be classed as at least a moderately serious accident. Neither the pole or my car survived. I left the car through the windscreen and landed in a field. A kind man in a Rover SD1 took me to hospital and I avoided bleeding on his cream leather seats. Stitches followed. The windscreen glass worked its way out of me for a long time after! I still have scars from the crash. Safety glass wasn’t what it is now. To add insult to injury I had to pay for the replacement telegraph pole. To misquote Gloria Gaynor, I survived. Maybe I was lucky. Reasons to be cheerful.
« Last Edit: 13 February 2023, 12:57 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 13 February 2023, 15:49 »
Something very similar to me in 1983 in a 1972 Triumph 1500TC, though my ‘hit’ was a lamp post that I also had to pay for.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #13 on: 14 February 2023, 20:51 »
Just to update this thread, i bought a replacement mirror glass from eBay for £12, ordered it on Sunday and it came today. Only took me 5 minutes to fit it and it fits perfectly and looks perfect.  :smiley:
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 21 February 2023, 15:03 »
This just happened to my near-side mirror glass this evening, time to test the VW All-in warranty plan I have...

Happened to the driver's side on the R when it decided to let go at 70 when i was 5 miles into a 150 mile round trip, if you go OEM it is £80 given it comes with backing. APS who look after our said that had a fair few due to heated miirrors

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 21 February 2023, 15:10 »
You can buy a complete glass with plastic backing from the Mirror Man UK for about £22 inc posting. I bought one recently. All good and it had the asymmetric outer area. It was delivered in a couple of days.
« Last Edit: 21 February 2023, 15:13 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #16 on: 21 February 2023, 16:10 »
You can buy a complete glass with plastic backing from the Mirror Man UK for about £22 inc posting. I bought one recently. All good and it had the asymmetric outer area. It was delivered in a couple of days.

I bought the complete glass with the heated plastic backing for £12 on eBay.

Heating element works fine
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 22 February 2023, 09:00 »
My MK7 one fell off and luckily didn't smash. Stuck it back in with Silicone and as good as new. The wife's fell off while driving £10 from Ebay and Silicone again and perfect. Cheap as chips repair and will not fall off due to the hot/cold cycle of the mirror.