Author Topic: GTi Clubsport - 18" wheels > 19" wheels  (Read 35664 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: GTi Clubsport - 18" wheels > 19" wheels
« Reply #70 on: 13 May 2021, 08:17 »
Have you looked at bola? They make some pretty good wheels for reasonable money.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #71 on: 13 May 2021, 09:01 »
Yes I have some of the Bola flow formed on my shortlist, along with JR racing, and Motec. Still undecided on whether to go 8.5x 19 or stick with 8”.

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #72 on: 13 May 2021, 11:49 »
Have you considered the t-roc pretoria?

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287378.0

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #73 on: 13 May 2021, 19:13 »

I prefer diamonds cut wheels or two tones wheel as I believe the dark
Monotone make the Pretoria look smaller
ordered on 30/09/2020 
GTI, Pure White, Business Premium Pack, Fog light, Tinted side & rear windows,   "Richmond" alloy wheels 18, Belmont winter wheels,  IQ.LIGHT  LED Metrix, pick up Autostadt Wolfsburg.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #74 on: 13 May 2021, 20:15 »

I prefer diamonds cut wheels or two tones wheel as I believe the dark
Monotone make the Pretoria look smaller

Diamond cut alloys look great on a new car sitting in the car dealer’s showroom and have a certain ‘bling’ appeal, but given the choice between diamond cut and alloys with a painted / powder coated finish I’d always go for the painted / powder coated finish. Why wouldn’t I choose diamond cut alloys?
  • the finish on diamond cut alloys isn’t particularly durable, especially if they’re on a car all year round and subjected to winter road conditions. It’s not unusual for diamond cut alloys to succumb to white worm corrosion at around the 2.5 - 3 year mark (sometimes sooner) and I don’t like the white worm corrosion look on my wheels.
  • they’re more expensive to refurbish than alloys with a painted / powder coated finish and can usually only be refurbished a maximum of two times. The refurb process involves cutting a layer of metal off the face of the wheel; more than two refurbs and the wheel’s structural integrity could be compromised
  • they’re easily damaged by inexperienced tyre fitters
It’s good we don’t all like the same thing though, otherwise life would be boring. I just wish VW would offer more pained / powder coated wheel options on their cars and not assume everyone likes or wants diamond cut alloys :angry:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #75 on: 14 May 2021, 10:55 »
yes diamond cut wheels can be difficult to maintain but i have also had several of them without any issue as long as they firstly very good quality and well cared for by means of coating with wheel protection and washing at least once a week. the brock 38 wheels is a black gloss fully polished wheel which is winter useable with 5 years warrant in europe

they are also 10.5kg and will be use all year round plus they are directly OEM replacement original screw and caps fit and no need for TUV approval

« Last Edit: 14 May 2021, 11:00 by bjbanny »
ordered on 30/09/2020 
GTI, Pure White, Business Premium Pack, Fog light, Tinted side & rear windows,   "Richmond" alloy wheels 18, Belmont winter wheels,  IQ.LIGHT  LED Metrix, pick up Autostadt Wolfsburg.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #76 on: 14 May 2021, 16:00 »
Mak Polaris or Wolf

Decent Italian made wheels, can usually be sourced to take original VW bolts and even centre caps too, plus correctly drilled to 57.1mm CB

https://www.makwheels.it/en-ww/volkswagen-golf-viii-cd-2020-19-alloy-wheels-1.aspx

I think they still have a configurator option on the website and in German too.

My usual commission rates apply...  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #77 on: 14 May 2021, 16:02 »
10.5kg is like a hummingbird compared to VW Adelaides - 12.6kg!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #78 on: 14 May 2021, 16:19 »
If some of my commute wasn’t like the Somme I’d definitely be open to getting a set of Brock 38’s when my Chinese pig iron Reifnitz disintegrate.
Nice and OEM styled, OEM compatible fittings and decently light.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #79 on: 14 May 2021, 17:17 »
If some of my commute wasn’t like the Somme I’d definitely be open to getting a set of Brock 38’s when my Chinese pig iron Reifnitz disintegrate.
Nice and OEM styled, OEM compatible fittings and decently light.

I have a set of 18” RC Design RC32’s on my Polo GTI+ (RC Design is a Brock brand). They’re also reasonably light at around 10kg a corner and were a straight swap for the OEM alloys - same size / offset, centre bore of 57.1 so no need for spigot rings, and they use the OEM fittings too. The one negative is the VW centre caps don’t fit so I currently have the RC Design centre caps fitted. I might try and find a set of domed stick on VW emblems, but I don’t mind the RC Design caps.

Available in Ferric Grey, Satin Black or Himalaya Grey with diamond cut face. I went for Ferric Grey as I don’t like diamond cut alloys for the reasons stated in my earlier post in this thread, and I prefer grey alloys to black. I would’ve preferred it if the grey option was a slightly darker grey as IMHO they’re more of a dark sliver, but they hide the dirt well and being a simple design they’re easy to clean.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl