Author Topic: MK 7 Clubsport or 7.5 PP??  (Read 15429 times)

Offline madstaff

• I live here
MK 7 Clubsport or 7.5 PP??
« on: 11 March 2021, 15:30 »
HI, having just sold my A4 im wanting to get back in a GTI, having had a couple of MK2's in the past.

I am toying with a MK 7 Clubsport, but they are commanding strong money at the moment so im wondering would a 7.5PP be a better buy as i could potentially get a newer 7.5 for my money, with some nice gadgets, as a CS is coming up for 5 years old now??

Im not sure if i want to go the DSG route just yet as i enjoy driving and stirring a manual gearbox??

Anybody on here been the previous owner or have any knowledge of a red, 3 door, manual, Clubsport #315??

Or a carbon grey 3 door manual with Pretorias #292??

Thanks.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: MK 7 Clubsport or 7.5 PP??
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2021, 15:53 »
If you're going to go for a Clubsport you'll want to get a manual as they will hold value better for enthusiasts on down the line. They currently hold their money well because they're a great car, just hard to get them with a lot of toys on them.

I like the DSG box in my PP though, still wanted a manual but it had a sunroof so that made my choice  :whistle:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2021, 16:33 »
Clubsport or 7.5 GTIP, I think it would depend on how often you want to use it. A newer car would seem a better bet for a daily. You can get a manual 7.5 so that's not a decider. The Clubsport is a great car especially if you can get one with buckets and the exterior styling I think is one of the best out of the various 7 and 7.5s. But there are plenty of plus points with a 7.5 GTIP too, a more modern interior and newer tech. Ultimately only you can decide :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2021, 17:28 »
I haven't come across the two cars you mention. there is a facebook group for CS owners, they may know more.

As above, it depends on your use of the car.......
As well as obvious, condition, mileage and service/accident history. mk7 CS are hugely spec dependent when it comes to pricing, in my experience.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2021, 18:44 »
Thanks all, unfortunately i don't do Facebook.

For a daily i suppose a 7.5PP, with all the modern toys, but the draw of a limited edition CS40, something a VW enthusiast in the know would doff his cap to is something which appeals.

Is there somewhere i can see what options were available??

#315 has black roof, Brescias, rear camera, Dynaudio, Nav and rear tints.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2021, 19:14 »
madstaff, have a look at this link;

https://www.vwpress.co.uk/en-gb/models/variant-golf-gti-mk-vii

To the right, under documents, 5th one down is a link to a CS Ed40 brochure Pdf.

Very, basically, from my own experience, you tend to find 3 kinds of CS.

1; base car, bought on a lease with few options.

2; Fully optioned 5 door, dsg, pan roof, with heated leather interior, uopgraded nav, dynaudio.......... A top of the range GTi, rather than a car in the spirit of a clubsport?

3; As close as you could spec to a CS-S, if you needed 4 seats.... Options such as Recaro bucket seats, manual, Dynamic chassis control, 19" wheels.

There are more basic or close to basic spec cars around as they were at a similar price point to the Golf R, which was sometimes even cheaper on a lease deal.

If you are looking for specific, desirable, options in a good low miles car, you may be waiting a while or just get lucky...?

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 11 March 2021, 19:28 »
Thanks clubsport, had a look at that last night.

Being specific like you say narrows down your options significantly, think there's 9 3 door Clubsports on Autotrader at the moment!!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2021, 22:51 »
In clubsport’s list above I’d argue point #1 was mainly end of line dealer registered stock that VW UK punted out to its franchises due to the slow uptake of new registrations being as the car was so close to an R in price and was a superseded model.
Very few were leased as they were too expensive.

Lots of good advice from clubsport there though, particularly the vw press link.
It’s a shame if you can’t access the Facebook group but Lew on this forum runs the list of individual cars by plaque number. Hopefully he will be along.

The Ed40 caught on in popularity after it went out of production. Suddenly it became a cult hero mostly because enthusiasts get trouser moments at the thought of bucket seats. It used to be the same with mk2 Golfs when an odd G60 would pop up with Recaro seats.

Fair play to say they’re a good investment right now as a weekend toy but don’t come cheap, unless they’re a bit rough. Not all of them are cherished enthusiast owned, I’ve seen a few that have had hard lives.

I kept mine 2.5 years which is a long time for me to keep a car. I got £23k for mine (which seemed a good price at the time and far more than offered elsewhere) and it went up for sale for £28k which was I think slightly more than what I paid for it at one month old. It was snapped up quickly. Mind you it was like new and very low mileage.
I mostly regret selling it but then again I’m really appreciative of the car experiences I’ve had since, so...

If you can find a mint Ed40 for sensible money and will cherish it then I’d recommend one wholeheartedly. It has a sense of occasion like few other Golfs I’ve ever seen and I’ve been around Golfs a good few decades.
Definitely go for a manual, the simplicity of the manual gearbox and lack of digital frippery is a great mix.
Don’t get hung up on bucket seats like some finicky impossible to please enthusiasts, just buy on condition.

For the sort of money a tidy Ed40 costs you could get a lovely 7.5 Performance and would probably have a better chance of finding a low mileage minter.

As a daily driver a PP has a slightly more compliant ride, a bit better fuel economy, a slightly faster spooling turbo but a flatter power delivery (very little difference in performance in the real world), the amazing LED headlamps, a better head unit, the more modern AID dials...

The Ed40 lacks front parking sensors and ambient interior lighting (the latter is curiously added if leather was specced) but just looks and feels that little bit different. 
« Last Edit: 11 March 2021, 23:19 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2021, 08:03 »
Have you thought about the 7.5 TCR?
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2021, 08:32 »
Thanks Exonian and BobbyT.

As much as i would love a 3dr TCR in grey, sadly way out of my budget.

A Clubsport would be my daily driver, so although Recaros would be nice, ive had them in a 197 Clio and the Mrs found them to be a pain.

I think the fact a CS is at least 4 years old now and unless theyve been looked after they may be starting to show their age a little??