Author Topic: Attempted theft  (Read 5536 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Attempted theft
« Reply #20 on: 02 March 2021, 17:46 »
Always hate seeing this, Hope you feel better in yourself soon,  :wink:

Cheers Aidey.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #21 on: 02 March 2021, 18:07 »
Bear in mind the thing they will want it for is almost certainly for breaking for spare parts.

Anything thats remotely new is worth money for spare parts...

This is a racket I'd read about on the BMW forum, its caused by the UK insurance business selling off written off cars for "repair".... they can't repair it on an economically viable basis, so how will anyone else do it? Well the answer is, using parts from YOUR car.

This was what I saw on the other forum:

https://twitter.com/peterstopcrime/status/1142716231717462016
Nothing new in that though. The uk insurance industry has always done it. Thats what scrapyard parts were for.
The difference nowadays is ebay and the violence of the thefts or violation of a breakin.
« Last Edit: 02 March 2021, 18:11 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 02 March 2021, 18:25 »
All the best king monkey, I hope you and your family are okay.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 02 March 2021, 18:40 »
Thanks Watts. I really do appreciate all the comments.

I’ve started looking at up gtis today as a solution. Think I’m going mad.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 02 March 2021, 19:07 »

Nowt mad about that!  :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 04 March 2021, 12:36 »
Thanks Watts. I really do appreciate all the comments.

Just don't go for TCR! Even more desirable than an R imo lol 5 R's down my road and just one TCR  :grin:

Even my local VW Dealer was happy to see me last week as they had only ever had 1 in the showroom and no owners lol

All the best King and glad you had wits about you!
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 04 March 2021, 12:45 »
Thanks. Think a few more days have put some perspective on the whole situation.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 04 March 2021, 15:29 »
Thats a terrible thing to happen!

To be honest that was the reason why I didn't get an R (or a Subaru back in the day - really wanted one but the neighbours door was kicked in for the same).

I have always had a performance vehicle but kid myself that I don't go for the main ones, so m135i instead of R - maybe the RWD aspect kept these a little more under the radar.

Who am I kidding...

My Ring picked up the handles being tried on my TCR during the night and that freaked me out a bit for a while.

What I would say is that it doesn't matter what car you have old, new, fast, slow.  These things will always happen. If you follow a local stolen car Facebook group - one for every area I guess - you will never sleep and never own any type of car.

I think we feel more at risk as we are more car savvy than some and know/hear about these things where as most mainstream - no car people hear off a friends car being taken and think nothing more about it where as it would sway our thoughts.

This probably doesn't help and I am sure I would react like you in the first instance - get a lower target car - but I hope you get past this as otherwise they have won and in reality you may not be that better of...

Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 04 March 2021, 16:21 »
Thanks Cookie Monster. Tbh I think there’s no difference in theft risk between an R and gti. I’ve had a gti taken and that was a very well organised gang who had probably been watching for a while. You’re totally right that anything is a target. I’m definitely keeping the R. Stuff them all. They’re all little scroats who don’t deserve the time of day. We all work hard for our cars and I’m not letting them dictate what I chose to spend my money on. They can do one.

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 04 March 2021, 17:01 »
Must've been really harrowing to experience that. Disgusting how some people act. I'd be doing some serious thinking too if I experienced something like that.