Author Topic: Attempted theft  (Read 5541 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Attempted theft
« Reply #10 on: 01 March 2021, 21:58 »
Thanks Snoopy. I need to have a good think what I’m going to do but I’m also aware that they’ll take anything.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 02 March 2021, 13:59 »
Bloody hell Michele, just seen this and am shocked.
I can remember your posts from when the red(?) GTI got nicked and you held firm sticking with sporty cars.
Where do you draw the line though? You don’t want the dirtbags breaking in for keys but you can’t let them beat you either.
It sounds like a narrow escape for you, it’s a good job you had your wits about you. Have your nerves settled down yet?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 02 March 2021, 15:40 »
Thanks Andy. It was as just crazy thinking about it now. All a bit of a blur. Past experience always has me checking my rear view mirror first and that’s when I saw the second lad. He came right up to the drivers window and asked me to put the window down as he casually stood in my garage. That’s when I floored it. I saw the first one acting oddly just before. They were all of 17. I really think I should buy something else. Going to make some enquiries about selling the R.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 02 March 2021, 15:56 »
Scary stuff, even if they were just kids. You’re not going to be able to settle or relax now I doubt.
But what of the R, it’ll need to be worth more than any finance owing? And what to replace it with that won’t leave you feeling a bit hollow?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 02 March 2021, 16:17 »
Bear in mind the thing they will want it for is almost certainly for breaking for spare parts.

Anything thats remotely new is worth money for spare parts...

This is a racket I'd read about on the BMW forum, its caused by the UK insurance business selling off written off cars for "repair".... they can't repair it on an economically viable basis, so how will anyone else do it? Well the answer is, using parts from YOUR car.

This was what I saw on the other forum:

https://twitter.com/peterstopcrime/status/1142716231717462016
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 02 March 2021, 17:04 »
Spot on there Fred. When my gti went that’s exactly what happened to it. That theft felt planned whereas this not so much.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 02 March 2021, 17:37 »
Spot on there Fred. When my gti went that’s exactly what happened to it. That theft felt planned whereas this not so much.

Sounded like just a wander around and attempt to jack any vehicle they could.

There's probably some serious money for every car they deliver to the chopshop...

But unless you are planning on buying something old and worthless, the risk remains. Just swapping to a low spec golf or whatever won't do it - it needs to be an older vehicle. Look at that tweet, look at what they were stealing...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 02 March 2021, 17:38 »

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #18 on: 02 March 2021, 17:44 »
Spend some money on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLhWzMOccTg

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Don't think his garage and house would have approved

« Last Edit: 02 March 2021, 17:50 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Aidey

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 02 March 2021, 17:45 »
Always hate seeing this, Hope you feel better in yourself soon,  :wink:
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....
Sold Gti DSG 2020 Performance Indium Grey .....
Gti Sold... ClubSport Edition 40 , ... Sold Aug 2018....