Author Topic: I have been told you can't get a Nagaro wheel back to stock colours once painted  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
  • Hey all! I may need some help.
I would like to spray my alloys a few times until I get the desired colour.

However, when I come to sell it I would prefer to paint them back to the stock Nogaro diamond cut pattern. I have been told this is impossible by a painting company. Is the company telling me porkies or is this a legit issue when painting these alloys?
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Diamond cut but it's very nature involves spaying the whole wheel a colour at the factory then using a lathe with a diamond tip to "cut" into the surface faces of the wheels (the front spokes and rim) to shave off a few microns of alloys including the paint layer to reveal the naked shiny alloy surface.

If you spray the whole wheel a uniform colour without diamond cutting the face, then it's technically possible to restore the look of the alloys by powder coating them black again then diamond cutting the faces again. However most wheel refurbishment companies usually state that as you are actually removing metal as part of the cutting process, then this should only really be done once after the original factory cut, to retain the minimum metal thickness of the wheel and thus it's rigidity from a safety aspect.

So if the current wheels have already had any further diamond cut work done (other than factory finish) it's not recommended to do them again. If you just paint the wheels one uniform colour without any further cutting of the faces then it's still possible to have one cut done on them to restore the cut face.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
I would like to spray my alloys a few times until I get the desired colour.

However, when I come to sell it I would prefer to paint them back to the stock Nogaro diamond cut pattern. I have been told this is impossible by a painting company. Is the company telling me porkies or is this a legit issue when painting these alloys?

Not all alloy wheel refurbishment places have the equipment to refurbish / refinish diamond cut alloys, so that might have been the case with the company you were speaking to, hence why they said it wasn’t possible. However, as Sootchucker has said, they can be done but there is a limit to the number of times they can be refurbished / refinished.

If you were planning on getting your Nogaro wheels refinished in a single colour now and then refurbished in the original diamond cut finish (so two refurbs) when you eventually sell your car, as an alternative why don’t you;
  • buy a second set of wheels in the colour of your choice to fit on your car now
  • store your original Nogaro alloys and fit them back on your car when you decide to sell it
You’ll save yourself the trouble and expense of getting your factory Nogaro’s refurbished / refinished twice, and you can also sell the second set of alloys to recoup some of the purchase price.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Painting (powder coating I assume) them is going to cost what, about a hundred a wheel?

Diamond cutting them back is going to be about one twenty a wheel.... that's nearly nine hundred....

(those prices are from a company that knows what its doing, not some random cowboy)

Get another set of wheels (nine hundred will get you some excellent ones), keep the old ones ready to go back on when you sell. Its cheaper in the long run and you can choose a design you like.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC