Author Topic: Software issues  (Read 18656 times)

Offline buttons

• Not said much yet
Re: Software issues
« Reply #20 on: 25 January 2021, 10:22 »
Personally, i cant wait to get rid of it!!
Ive only had it 2 weeks and already looking forward to changing it......

it's one thing after another; when the infotainment works, it's slow.
Emergency brakes cutting in without warning or need.
Too many features on steering wheel so easily pressed by accident when driving.
Airplay not switching accounts even though the user profile has been changed.
Heated Seats work one day but not the next.
Everything has to be done via touchscreen, not very safe when you're driving!!

The car is trying to be too clever but fails miserably.
I bought the car predominantly for my wife but had intention of using it too - 2 weeks in and im looking to buy another car just for me, thats what i think of the Golf 8!
MK8 GTi: Adelaide 19", DCC, Winter Pack, Rear Camera and sh!t loads of software issues! ;-)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #21 on: 25 January 2021, 10:27 »
Which type of Mk8 do you have buttons?

Have you looked at the software versions?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 25 January 2021, 11:25 »
This thread is putting me off the Mk8. I can take or leave the 'digital aspects' of the car. However if VW are going to put something in a car, the darn thing should work.

Offline buttons

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 25 January 2021, 11:30 »

Ive got a GTi but truth is, im finding myself tell people more and more that "its my wifes car, not mine!" ha
I havent looked at software versions or updates yet but 2 weeks after spending £30k, i feel that i shouldnt have too!

MK8 GTi: Adelaide 19", DCC, Winter Pack, Rear Camera and sh!t loads of software issues! ;-)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 25 January 2021, 11:37 »

Ive got a GTi but truth is, im finding myself tell people more and more that "its my wifes car, not mine!" ha
I havent looked at software versions or updates yet but 2 weeks after spending £30k, i feel that i shouldnt have too!

Well, its rather important as they are busy resolving software issues.

It seems:

1) updates for the infotainment is OTA - do that yourself
2) updates for anything else is a dealer only job - check your software version - 1668 seems to fix a lot of things, if you don't have this version, book it in to get it fixed

Those are the solutions to your problems almost certainly.... although I don't think 1668 is all totally bug free yet.

Short of buying something old or a Caterham, this is the world of the modern car. Get with the plan is all I can say...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline buttons

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 25 January 2021, 11:54 »

It seems:

How do you do it?

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 25 January 2021, 12:00 »

It seems:

2) updates for anything else is a dealer only job - check your software version - 1668 seems to fix a lot of things, if you don't have this version, book it in to get it fixed

Those are the solutions to your problems almost certainly.... although I don't think 1668 is all totally bug free yet.

Short of buying something old or a Caterham, this is the world of the modern car. Get with the plan is all I can say...

What 'plan'?! I work for a company that is 'going digital'..... They haven't a clue what they are doing but think they should be 'digital'. So far, all they have developed are 'digital solutions' to problems that don't exist. Our clients couldn't care less.

Don't get me wrong - I'm far from a Luddite. I'm all for advancement in technology, but there is a difference between adding value and doing something just 'because you can.' Sounds like VW have bitten off more than they can chew and are going to use the first tranche of owners as guinea pigs. No problem as long as they pay for my time  :wink:

Offline buttons

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 25 January 2021, 12:01 »

I kinda agree with you but feel that VW have gone a bit too far with it, trying to be cleverer than they are!

Previous cars have been BMW - they arent faultless by any means but noway near as problematic as these.... personally, i think their tech is better and it works, say what you see!
Only reason i changed marque this time is because im not a fan of their latest styling decisions..... i didn't realise how much of a step down it would be, my bad :-(

Offline Powerman80

• Not said much yet
  • Auto professional & lover
« Reply #28 on: 25 January 2021, 12:04 »
This thread is putting me off the Mk8. I can take or leave the 'digital aspects' of the car. However if VW are going to put something in a car, the darn thing should work.

I was super convinced to buy it, but there are so so many reports of problems and people who say they want to get rid of it.

If I had tons of money, I'd take the risk. But like this, i can afford the car but not to throw away this much money. I'll probably go ahead with my Mini until I procreate  :grin:
« Last Edit: 25 January 2021, 12:16 by Powerman80 »
Marco
=============
Hello from Milan Italy

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 25 January 2021, 12:44 »
As I said.... digital, everything from here on out is digital.... for better or for worse.

This all hinges on car makers (all of them) actually becoming software companies and getting this as reliable as any other software out there.

No car maker is not going to be in the same boat because they need to be delivering automation. Automation can't work without all of the systems being controlled by complex software. The old fashioned design of discreet electronic components (made by bosch usually) making simple communications over a 1980's cambus is not going to work.

Does this mean that there are no problems? Of course it doesn't.