Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 111718 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #280 on: 13 April 2021, 14:44 »
Yup B variant hardware, software 1666. That's why you can't do map in dash.

You also cannot upgrade the software yourself, only the dealer can.

There is nothing you can get the dealer to upgrade the software to to make the map appear in the dash. It needs different hardware.

There are two software tracks:

5H0035816B - the unit without nav in the dash - has software 1662-1670 (so far)

5H0035820D - the unit with nav in the dash - has software 1788-onwards

The D variant hardware was used from build week 48 in 2020 onwards.

The B variant hardware is used for both Nav and Navpro.... on the D ones, there is a different part number for NavPro.
« Last Edit: 13 April 2021, 14:51 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline buttons

• Not said much yet
« Reply #281 on: 13 April 2021, 15:55 »
i cant wait to get rid of this car....
MK8 GTi: Adelaide 19", DCC, Winter Pack, Rear Camera and sh!t loads of software issues! ;-)

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #282 on: 13 April 2021, 16:07 »

Why because you can't get Nav in dash , have you had loads of problems. I'm on 1666 and had mine after 1200 miles. Fingers crossed. I think it's a great car

Offline rubberduck

• Not said much yet
« Reply #283 on: 13 April 2021, 17:02 »
The D variant hardware was used from build week 48 in 2020 onwards.

The B variant hardware is used for both Nav and Navpro.... on the D ones, there is a different part number for NavPro.

Interesting, it seems like my GTI (due to arrive next week, yay!) was built in the first quarter of this year (February I think), so hopefully that means I can get the navigation into the dash too.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #284 on: 13 April 2021, 17:16 »

This is no different to any other complex newly designed car on the market these days.... its just that on this forum some of us can explain the situation to you.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline theminty1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #285 on: 13 April 2021, 17:40 »
Slightly off topic but i cant see buttons photos i just see a no entry sign.... Is this a software glitch  :whistle:

fix would be appreciated. I know you will have the answer Fred

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #286 on: 13 April 2021, 20:28 »
It's possible a later software version might unlock it but I've not seen anyone talking about the UK availability of the next release after 1668. I'm keen to see when it comes out though because maybe it fixes Bluetooth which is my only real gripe right now.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #287 on: 14 April 2021, 02:34 »

This is no different to any other complex newly designed car on the market these days....

But very different to every Golf competitor I can think of on the market.

There is absolutely no excuse for VW's under-developed systems, Fred.  We know you're a tech-head and love this stuff, but I'd wager the rest of us just want something which works, which this clearly doesn't.  No excuse.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #288 on: 14 April 2021, 08:10 »
No, i disagree. They all have problems to some degree.

Take the BMW 1 series. I drive is held up as the pinnacle of in car software. Go and have a look about the over the air update to the recent ish version. This didn't work, cars were not updating, dealers were unable to update it either, users were writing to bmw execs demanding updates. It turns out it was probably caused by some sort of battery problem.

And so on... You are just blissfully unaware of the problems elsewhere because why would you bother looking if you don't own that brand of car? Magazines don't contain articles about this stuff, dealerships and sales brochures don't tell you either... How are you supposed to know?

I think what is frustrating though is the manufacturer response to this kind of thing. If the problem was say a failing mechanical part they'd handle it much better.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #289 on: 14 April 2021, 09:34 »
On my Mk7.5 (and my Mk3 vRS for that matter) pretty much everything worked 'out of the box' from day one.

The problems people are having with their Mk8's isn't inspiring me to want to upgrade any time soon.  :undecided:
7.5 GTD