Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 115605 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #300 on: 16 April 2021, 11:54 »
I sort of understand why VW deleted the gas strut. Yes, I'm sure part of it was saving a few Euros but part I'm sure was to do with the new European pedestrian protection regulations and having a gas strut that's in line with the front of the car that could potentially pierce the bonnet in an accident is probably the reason why.

However I don't get why they haven't done what most manufacturers have done and move the strut from inside the engine bay and pointing forwards, to both sides near the bonnet hinges. That way they still give the premium feel but are far enough back not to be a pedestrian issue.

Here's an example from a BMW (but there are plenty other manufacturers that do it this way)

2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #301 on: 16 April 2021, 12:50 »
I'm fairly sure that cost was the bigger reason than pedestrian safety for the deletion of the gas strut. The Audi A3 still uses the same gas strut arrangement that the Mk7 had, so that explanation doesn't tally. It also has the twin bonnet catches from the Mk8.

The Mk4 Skoda Octavia has the twin strut arrangement as shown in the picture above, and that's supposedly a 'budget' car.
7.5 GTD

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #302 on: 16 April 2021, 13:19 »
I think you are right Sooty.

However when presented with the problem their solution was both regulatory compliant and a bit cheaper.... win win  :grin:

I think so far we've seen a lot of EU regulation changes impacting the Mk8, which aren't purely Mk8 issues but issues for every OEM. However the debates seem to be only seen on owner forums like this, not in a wider context.

A lot of the 2021/2022 things (Regulation (EU) 2019/2144) are going to cause howls of anguish to new owners, mainly because in the UK its not commonly talked about what happens in Brussels. Now maybe these days its even less likely to be talked about, but the UK is still aligned on issues such as vehicle safety and probably always will be. The regulations we are seeing are

I keep saying it, but just wait until the next MY comes along (so thats cars built after July) and people find their new Golf R is stopping them breaking the speed limit...this place is going to go ballistic.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #303 on: 16 April 2021, 16:00 »
You got me think about that last point Fred, so I did a bit of research. According to what I found it will be fitted from 2022, but the EU has so far only approved an "overridable" system, that the driver can over-ride by hitting the accelerator pedal (albeit with a bit of nannying warnings and bongs going on).

Furthermore, it goes on to say:

"The system is likely to be ‘default on’ – meaning it’s active every time the car is started – but can cancelled by the driver at any time. The ETSC recommended this feature be included during the first few years to make ISA systems more acceptable to motorists. Of course, this means the system could one day be permanently active."
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #304 on: 16 April 2021, 16:10 »
Yup, like Lane Assist - default on at startup (which will cause endless moans)

And you can over-ride with a kick down, with bong-bong-bong-bong and then braking after you stop kicking down.

Its going to cause moaning.... and its coming VERY soon.

And you definitely will not be able to permanently disable it - like Lane Assist its in the protected part of the ECU.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #305 on: 16 April 2021, 16:20 »
And also "fitted from 2022" means all cars with a type approval for 2022 will have it.... which starts with the MY swapover in July 2021....

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #306 on: 16 April 2021, 17:39 »
Today, just now, I've seen Exonian's clock doesn't update after you turn the engine off!

Was almost late for my appointment. Was listening to the radio while waiting. Updated the clock the second second i opened the door.

Bloody thing.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #307 on: 18 April 2021, 19:19 »
Today I just had to go pick some stuff up 45 mins away, a nice gentle drive with a few bean flicking moments to blast past things.... 43mpg.

That's really quite impressive.

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #308 on: 18 April 2021, 20:38 »
Today I just had to go pick some stuff up 45 mins away, a nice gentle drive with a few bean flicking moments to blast past things.... 43mpg.

That's really quite impressive.

I don't think I've hit over 34mpg, and haven't had to flick the bean today I've been in complete sports mode 😂

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #309 on: 18 April 2021, 21:47 »
Today I put lots of boxes in my mk8. It’s quite capacious.
Last week I put lots of paving slabs in it. Same as the week before.
The car looks nice and low when loaded with paving slabs (but you daren’t corner very quickly!)

Tugging on a knob is far easier than groping round for a bean to flick when presented with slender Lycra clad derrières.
Bring back proper DSG shifters VW for those moments where you have to overtake Tour de France wannabes whilst cruising country roads. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner