Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 111844 times)

Offline buttons

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #290 on: 14 April 2021, 09:39 »
i cant wait to get rid of this car....

Why because you can't get Nav in dash , have you had loads of problems. I'm on 1666 and had mine after 1200 miles. Fingers crossed. I think it's a great car

i don't think a single week has gone by without some kind of issue...... in fact, that may be single day! ha  :grin:
Not having Nav in dash isn't a big issue to be fair but the error for this and error for that everytime i use the car is!
I expected more that's all, I was naïve.

This is no different to any other complex newly designed car on the market these days.... its just that on this forum some of us can explain the situation to you.

Fred... I really appreciate your input on things, I genuinely do - its just a build up of frustration that's all.
I need to learn to take a deep breath before I type.
One day this car will impress me and I will announce it to try and make up for all my negativity!  :smiley:
MK8 GTi: Adelaide 19", DCC, Winter Pack, Rear Camera and sh!t loads of software issues! ;-)

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #291 on: 14 April 2021, 11:27 »

Why because you can't get Nav in dash , have you had loads of problems. I'm on 1666 and had mine after 1200 miles. Fingers crossed. I think it's a great car

i don't think a single week has gone by without some kind of issue...... in fact, that may be single day! ha  :grin:
Not having Nav in dash isn't a big issue to be fair but the error for this and error for that everytime i use the car is!
I expected more that's all, I was naïve.

This is no different to any other complex newly designed car on the market these days.... its just that on this forum some of us can explain the situation to you.

Fred... I really appreciate your input on things, I genuinely do - its just a build up of frustration that's all.
I need to learn to take a deep breath before I type.
One day this car will impress me and I will announce it to try and make up for all my negativity!  :smiley:

I would defo feel the same if it is a build up of things even more daily. Ring your dealer and tell them to get it sorted. The only problems I have encounted is the front assist warning about 4 times but everything else fingers crossed has been fine apart from losing connection to the VW servers. It does seem many have had new steering wheels on this MK 8 even according to other sites. It's frustrating as it is such a nice car to drive added with the fun impact. My only regret is I wish I hung on for a clubby now

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #292 on: 14 April 2021, 13:47 »

Turn off the lane assist, hit the mode button, select sport and go and attack some corners - feed the power in with some lock on and let the VAQ fire you around a corner. Doesn't need to be at high speeds, works at UK road legal speeds.

Honestly its such a well behaved puppy dog when you just drudge around that you can forget it really does have teeth.

Just watch out for other traffic though as you will close on it REALLY rapidly.

I've just come back from a few hours out, mainly doing work, but also carving roundabouts :)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #293 on: 14 April 2021, 16:05 »
Admittedly, aside from getting to know how ACC works, you could jump in a previous generation Golf and quickly get familiar with its user friendliness and quality of (most of the) controls. Previous generations to that was even easier. Everything felt solid and just worked.

But it ain’t 1990 anymore.
Or 2019.

The new tech is readying us for the BEV’s of tomorrow and the gradual change to autonomous.
Unfortunately right now we are in that crossover period where the engineers have developed the mechanical bits to their ultimate incarnation (despite the emissions crap stranglehold) but the tech is still in its relative infancy with too many things pulling in too many different ways, reflected by VW themselves.

Yes, some of the digital controls can be lethally dangerous to use on the move. The tech that is supposed to aid us is anything but helpful at times but still (marginally) safer than fiddling round with a wired in iPod to change playlists etc.

The tech is glitchy, granted. But is it really that bad?

Mine is an early build, used daily on bad roads. I get screen crashes from time to time, I get sporadic warnings flash up some days and so on but generally the car is great.
I don’t have rattles (yet), squeaks (yet) or any other strange noises.   
The engine pulls like a train. The chassis and steering combo is sublimely confident. The brakes are amazing. I even got 40mpg the other day (stuck behind someone admittedly).

I had an early build M135i X-Drive too. The BMW felt even more solid, the interior was a class above. The engine pulled like an even bigger train, the gearbox wasn’t as unpredictable, the brakes were also fabulous.
However, more in tune to this current discussion, the BMW infotainment didn’t crash once, was much slicker and the controls were mostly better to use.

Would I recommend anyone to buy a Golf in a trim anywhere below R-Line? Absolutely not. For the first time in 30 odd years I really wouldn’t and that even includes the sh!tty mk3 days.
The basic Mk8 Golfs are ugly and the UI is poor by VW standards. There has to be better things out there right now. My son’s new A3 is quite nice, a 1 series M-Sport trim is nice, an A Class is funky... hell, even my other son’s three year old (MQB) Ibiza doesn’t lag massively behind the mk8 in quality or tech for far less money.

But for a GTI level car I reckon the Golf still has it. The chassis is superb, it really is. Not the sharpest, but definitely über confident and therefore confidence inspiring. VW have continued to put a lot of development into a chassis that was already excellent in 2012.
Don’t give up on it yet Buttons.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #294 on: 14 April 2021, 16:23 »
So two things from my earlier outing....

Both in the annoyance category..

1) I think I've worked out why its really difficult to use the MIB to select media on the move (and it really is a bloody fight).... the screen is actually further away than it is on the Mk7.5 and the things you have to click on are smaller. Further away means your hand waving around more, smaller targets, just more difficult to click. You can't even get the media list up on the AID and scroll up and down like you could on the Mk7/7.5.

2) I had anothe rogue speed limit detection today. Instead of picking 30mph on a dual carriageway, this time it decided on 80mph on a 50mph A road..... eek!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #295 on: 14 April 2021, 17:26 »
At the risk of me further boring everyone to death on BMW vs VW, you’re right Fred.
Despite the screen being bigger and higher up than the mk7 it is slightly further away. The BMW screen is smaller but seemed closer so easier to glance at. As a balance the VW AID is clearer.
What slightly irked me with the BMW set up was the DAB radio song info was small to read and would end half finished with an ellipsis, however in radio screen mode the VW has bigger text yet still ends up with said dots even though there’s loads of bloody room for the full text.
Which got me thinking a while ago - why doesn’t the screen have huge “buttons” on it like a Fisher Price toy would when in CarPlay mode amongst others? That way it would be safer to jab a finger at the screen in the hope it stabbed the right pixels. Maybe it’s a third party software thing. The Home Screen has nice big easy(ish) to hit “buttons” after all...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #296 on: 14 April 2021, 17:39 »
Glad its not just me then!

Why they haven't made it bigger buttons/things to click, I don't really know.

I know having to scroll is a driver distraction (on Android auto, anything with a scrollable list, if you scroll too much it says "look at the bloody road!" and there is a timeout before you can scroll more.... which is a massive pain if I am honest!)

There are many many things about VW's UI design that I question. It almost feels like they have decided that nothing can look how anyone else has done it before.... which obviously gives them a "unique" feel but after all of this time a general consensus on interface design has largely been reached and going outside of that simply means making a worse experience.

I have use some software for work that is so badly designed in screen layouts its almost like that was actually a design objective. I think maybe those people have gone to work for VW.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #297 on: 14 April 2021, 19:31 »
The mk8 software issues and general UI are already infamous.
I get people in work who aren’t into cars at all ask me about it out of the blue, people I’ve barely said more than hello to for years and years. The same people that don’t even realise my GTI is “latest generation” so have no particular agenda, they’ve just seen stuff online.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #298 on: 16 April 2021, 09:46 »
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict