Author Topic: I thought parking on a driveway would keep my car safe!  (Read 7798 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: I thought parking on a driveway would keep my car safe!
« Reply #20 on: 17 December 2020, 21:43 »
Depending on how old the old car was and the new car is, there might not be much in the value...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline boardlord

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 19 December 2020, 06:42 »
   So as the damage is so high, does that mean that your car, once repaired, will recieve a cat class? or some other identification to show that it has had some fairly major damage repaired?

I only ask as, that would massively effect the future value of your car and as a no fault incident you should be compensated to reflect this.

:undecided:
2019 MK7.5 GTi PP, 3dr, DSG, Indium Grey, Heated screen, Pan roof, 90% tints.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 19 December 2020, 07:34 »
I'm pretty sure it only gets a CAT if it gets written off, as in the policy holder gets paid out in full and the car is sold as damage repairable.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 19 December 2020, 11:08 »
Dubber is correct. Categories only apply in circumstances where the insurance company writes off the car.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/know-how/what-is-an-insurance-write-off/
7.5 GTD

Offline Maximusbiggus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 19 December 2020, 14:06 »
Surely you should get compensated in some way as your repaired car has to have taken a hit on resale value.
Is your car on PCP? Check with your dealer to see if they will still give you the original GFMV and even if not on PCP ask if the repair will have an impact on the trade price... I know I wouldn't fancy buying it after that repair.

One other possible option which I chose before in similar circumstances is that the insurance company found a dealer to buy my crashed car. Dealer paid me for the car and the insurer paid me the quoted price of repair. I ended up coming out with the original price I paid for the car (VW Passat) after two years of driving it.
Mk7.5 GTI DSG Tungsten Silver

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 20 December 2020, 22:04 »
Interesting discussion. It is undoubtedly worth less if the buyer is aware it has been crashed. I am going to ask the bodyshop if they have any further pictures of damage once the boot and bumper were removed as both of these items were heavily impacted and therefore have been replaced, I don't know the extent of the damage behind these panels though.

I don't believe insurers would award you money for the inevitable loss of value, it would have to be through a private solicitor. The newer the car is the stronger your case is but for me as it is on PCP I don't know if it is worth the bother. Plus I knew the person who caused all this damage and inconvenience, they went to my school back in the day, and I don't think I'd have much luck collecting on any money owed if I went that route.

Offline m4t_lee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 20 December 2020, 22:49 »
Speak to Greg at Southam bodies, very highly recommended and not too far from you

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 20 February 2021, 15:17 »
Bit of a thread revival. I got the car back just before Christmas with still a load of damage not fixed for no good reason so it went back start of February (useless insurers took forever to agree to fix it). Got it back again on Friday, there's some dodgy paint on the leading edge of the roof where they've clearly masked it poorly and the panel gap on the boot is still shocking. Getting beyond a joke now. Annoyingly I did choose the repair shop as they did have good reviews but I will be leaving one of my own to help others steer clear.

Also, I'm insured through Chris Knott, the solicitors they use to deal with the claim are completely hopeless, bad enough experience that I won't be renewing with Christ Knott even if they're cheaper by a huge margin, not worth the agro.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 20 February 2021, 23:01 »
You must be absolutely pulling your hair out.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 21 February 2021, 06:47 »
Just in response to the most recent thread posts,  there's not a cat in hells chance of getting a repaired car and money for the fact that it's noticeable that the car's been repaired.

The insurer's job is to pay for a satisfactory repair to the point where you'd be hard pressed to know it has been repaired, except under expert scrutiny.

If the repair has been done by a VW approved repairer, whether it's up to scratch or not, you'll get your GFV or you'll just hand it back at the end of your PCP term. If the repair is crap, but done by a VW approved repairer, that's for VWFS to sort out with the repairer when you hand it back if quality of repair.is brought up by the dealer/inspector upon its return.

Absolutely do not highlight to the dealer that its been in a significant crash and had an extensive repair unprompted. Most people have some "equity" in the car against their next VW. If you highlight issues it may prompt extreme scrutiny rather than a cursory look over...and no equity to use towards the next one.

Do chase the insurer to pursue repairs to a satisfactory quality before you sign off on the job as complete.
« Last Edit: 21 February 2021, 06:53 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.