Author Topic: GTi Clubsport Edition 40 - Brake Discs & Pads  (Read 1799 times)

Offline SC07FLMGTiED40

• Just got here
GTi Clubsport Edition 40 - Brake Discs & Pads
« on: 03 March 2021, 09:51 »
Hi,

Recently purchased an ED40 #141 and was looking for some guidance and advice on correct Disc Diameters and Part Numbers for Disc and Pads.

I'm running standard power however happy to take advice on what spec/combination people have used on their Golfs.

Any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2021, 09:54 by SC07FLMGTiED40 »

Offline azcs

• Not said much yet
Re: GTi Clubsport Edition 40 - Brake Discs & Pads
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2021, 11:10 »
Welcome, great choice.

Personally going for a combination of ebc yellowstuff pads with vagbremtechnic j hooked discs. Along with racingline (goodridge) braided lines and fluid when changing mine.

Have heard various things over brakes on these but concensus seems to be pads will be biggest improvement. Again with this various people vouch different things based upon personal experience. Will update this thread once I've had this set up on for a bit though.

Golf GTI Clubsport Edition 40

Offline SC07FLMGTiED40

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2021, 11:57 »
Thanks very much for your help!

Will have a look into them.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2021, 12:14 »
What are you trying to achieve? A brake upgrade or just replacement of worn parts? Are you wanting brakes for just road use or track use? (proper track use is a very different setup and you expect to have to replace parts frequently so don't bother with track rated brake parts for road use, they won't last five minutes)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2021, 15:44 »
I'm running the Clubsport S discs with redstuff pads. Tbh, I don't push the car hard enough to notice any difference but the redstuff pads work as well as stock from cold but do give off more dust.

Next time I'd probably go for OEM Clubsport pads with the same discs.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2021, 16:31 »
I have the standard set up on my CS, they are absolutely fine for road use?

If you are going on track, you may need to upgrade to dot 5 or SRF fluid to stop the fluid getting too hot..
I'm not a fan of coloured stuff brake material, I tend to use Pagid blues or yellows on track Pork.

I'm not sure of the comment about track pads not lasting 5 minutes on the road. In my 20+ years experience of trackdays, track pads may last forever on the road with their poor cold temperature performance.

That is the thing to consider, track pads tend to work less well at lower operating temps than road pads. You need heat in them to work effectively and they usually have endurance properties at higher temps that can increase wear rapidly in road pads. Don't forget once up to temperature, the increased friction of track pads will mean brake discs don't last as long!

It depends how you use the car, for infrequent trackdays, its worth just fitting track pads as and when required.

Offline SC07FLMGTiED40

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2021, 10:50 »
What are you trying to achieve? A brake upgrade or just replacement of worn parts? Are you wanting brakes for just road use or track use? (proper track use is a very different setup and you expect to have to replace parts frequently so don't bother with track rated brake parts for road use, they won't last five minutes)

Replacement for worn parts for daily road use with the occasional Sunday hurl, don't intend to use the car on track days.

Offline Craig

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2021, 15:56 »
I have rear discs if you want? new never fitted correct 310mm size. £65 inc postage.