Author Topic: Average MPG - Longterm - GTI  (Read 63912 times)

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
Average MPG - Longterm - GTI
« on: 18 November 2013, 13:41 »
Hello guys,

So my long-term average MPG is 26 over 800 miles. Is this normal? If others could post there's I'd be very interested as u hear if people getting 40 odd!?
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: Average MPG - Longterm - GTI
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2013, 13:48 »
That seems very poor. My average, i think, is approximately 32-33mpg long terms after 2500 miles which i don't consider to be particularly good. What sort of journeys are you making and what driving mode are you mostly in?

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2013, 13:53 »
That's what I thought! It's drinking like a V6. My commute consists of mixed roads. Some town driving, some country lanes and a spot of traffic here and there but start/stop helps with that.

I'm usually driving in individual mode, with the suspension on comfort and everything else on sport but I've been using the DSG in manual mode with paddles so I can stop the car putting the engine under any excessive load in its first bunch of miles. I don't thrash the car at all. It's not had full throttle and on average I'm keeping the revs between 1800-3000rpm with an odd occasional poke to 4-5krpm (though very rare).
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2013, 13:58 »
With the GTDers, I have noticed that those getting the best mpg (by quite a margin) are those with DSG, despite the official figures suggesting they should be 10% thirstier than the manual. Any similar correlation for manual GTI vs DSG GTI? I do wonder whether the gear change prompt requires a bit of tweaking as I have seen in mine that sometimes the gear change prompt encourages you to stay in a higher gear pushing on with the torque rather than coming down a gear and not needing the torque, and looking like the lower gear would actually be the more economical choice when you view the instant mpg figures on the MFD.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2013, 14:09 »
Work days:

Morning - town, dual carriageway (clear), motorway (mostly static - 50 mph), town = 29-30 average

Evening - town, motorway (60-70 mph), dual carriageway (clear), town = 33-35 average

I've done around about 2,500 miles and I nail it whenever the opportunity lends itself.  I also keep the car in Sport all the time.

So no where near the stated 47 combined  :rolleyes: but still not too shabby (as I have a lead foot on clear roads - obviously keeping within the speed limit  :lipsrsealed:)
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Dully

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 18 November 2013, 14:12 »
Hello guys,

So my long-term average MPG is 26 over 800 miles. Is this normal? If others could post there's I'd be very interested as u hear if people getting 40 odd!?

Mrs D's GTI has clocked up about 450 miles and has a 27 ish average mpg, most of these have been on the 7 mile rural commute to work which is quite steady. Her TT was doing about 36 on a non law breaking motorway run and similar on the work commute so I am not too fussed at the moment. I honestly did not expect the mpg to be anywhere near the claimed.

Driving - MK7 GTD, 5 Door, CSG, DSG, Santiago's

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 18 November 2013, 15:18 »
With the GTDers, I have noticed that those getting the best mpg (by quite a margin) are those with DSG, despite the official figures suggesting they should be 10% thirstier than the manual. Any similar correlation for manual GTI vs DSG GTI? I do wonder whether the gear change prompt requires a bit of tweaking as I have seen in mine that sometimes the gear change prompt encourages you to stay in a higher gear pushing on with the torque rather than coming down a gear and not needing the torque, and looking like the lower gear would actually be the more economical choice when you view the instant mpg figures on the MFD.
Same as MH for me with the manual gear shift prompt - sometimes the revs drop lower than I would have expected (1200ish rpm) before the indicator says to shift down.  Not sure how intuitive this feature really is.

GTD + 3 pedals :-)

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 November 2013, 15:26 »
Hello guys,

Mrs D's GTI has clocked up about 450 miles and has a 27 ish average mpg, most of these have been on the 7 mile rural commute to work which is quite steady. Her TT was doing about 36 on a non law breaking motorway run and similar on the work commute so I am not too fussed at the moment. I honestly did not expect the mpg to be anywhere near the claimed.

I didn't expect the GTI to be particularly economical either but that's besides the point. A little shy of the claimed figures is fine and understandable but half of the claimed figures is taking the biscuit a little don't you think?

Monkey hanger:

GTI DSG is definitely more thirsty than the manual in my experience for the GTI's. The DSG box always prompts me to change up a gear but to do so would usually labour the engine, it wants me in 4th at 27mph ect...

All gone.

Now;

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 18 November 2013, 16:44 »
27.5 over my 302 miles!

About the same as my mk6 I'd guess.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Geomets

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 18 November 2013, 18:03 »
I do wonder whether the gear change prompt requires a bit of tweaking as I have seen in mine that sometimes the gear change prompt encourages you to stay in a higher gear pushing on with the torque rather than coming down a gear and not needing the torque, and looking like the lower gear would actually be the more economical choice when you view the instant mpg figures on the MFD.
In my brothers mk6 GTI (and in every car I drove) the only thing to make you change a gear is your ears and your ability to "feel" your car. The prompts of the MFD is something that does NOT make the car more economical, and that's something I found out after constant observation of consumption of the aforementioned  cars when I (and their drivers) drove the car in the same road, in the same direction, in the same day, once depending on the prompts and once depending on your...instinct. The prompts of VW cars always make the engine labour while when driving without obeying them, the car feels much happier and more frugal. We got an average 1.5 lt/100km better when we were NOT doing VW's thing.
Fact: my brother makes a journey of 450km twice a month. Average consumption is 7.3 lt/100km and his driving is REALLY fast and smooth. And that's with an mk6. (Same consumption before and after an APR ECU reprogramming.)
You should always stay IN the torque after upchanges and not the edges of it (meaning 1500-2000rpms).