Author Topic: GTI Fuel Consumption / Engine noise...am I paranoid?  (Read 4348 times)

Offline GTI-Newbie

• Not said much yet
GTI Fuel Consumption / Engine noise...am I paranoid?
« on: 06 October 2013, 21:44 »
I have just done over 800 miles and the fuel consumption hasn't changed and is around the 31mpg

Also am starting to feel that the engine is getting louder......I might be paranoid but I get the feeling I have not run it in properly. I have pushed it a few times as I don't want to baby it but I am getting the feeling something maybe wrong.

Am I just paranoid or should I be worried?
Current: Deep Black Mk7 GTI with Sat Nav and winter pack

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: GTI Fuel Consumption / Engine noise...am I paranoid?
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2013, 21:49 »
I have just done over 800 miles and the fuel consumption hasn't changed and is around the 31mpg

Also am starting to feel that the engine is getting louder......I might be paranoid but I get the feeling I have not run it in properly. I have pushed it a few times as I don't want to baby it but I am getting the feeling something maybe wrong.

Am I just paranoid or should I be worried?

I wouldn't worry about it mate. I've done just under 2000 miles and I'm  averaging about 34-35. It depends on the type of journeys you are doing, I.e if you do a lot of stop start then it's going to be less. It will probably improve over time.

In terms of the engine mine appears to have got more throaty as well but I think kits just loosing up and it sounds great imo

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2013, 22:48 »
If it makes you feel any better I've also done just over 800 miles and averaging 31 mpg.  :smiley:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2013, 22:59 »
Have you checked your oil level?
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2013, 18:26 »

I don't need to, the car has never been out of 'Sport' and I nail it at any opportunity so I'm quite happy with 31 tbh  :grin:
Audi RS5 2018
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline CBRT

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2013, 19:29 »

I don't need to, the car has never been out of 'Sport' and I nail it at any opportunity so I'm quite happy with 31 tbh  :grin:

Haha love this!

So much win!
2013 MK7 Golf GTI
1995 MK3 VR6 GTI Engineering
2003 M3 Coupe
2002 GSXR 750
1995 MK3 CL 1.6l (for sale)

Offline RobS23GTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2013, 20:01 »
Surprised at some of these mpg figures...

My M135i avg. over 3000 miles or so has been sitting around 32mpg with some horrendous driving to boot, really thought the GTI would be pushing late 30's early 40's maybe?
Current - Mk7 Golf GTI w/performance pack
Previous - VW Golf Mk6 GTD, Ford Fiesta ST, BMW M135i, VW Golf MK5 GTI

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2013, 20:09 »

My M135i avg. over 3000 miles or so has been sitting around 32mpg with some horrendous driving to boot, really thought the GTI would be pushing late 30's early 40's maybe?

You're not driving it hard enough  :laugh: :evil:
Audi RS5 2018

Offline RobS23GTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2013, 20:24 »

Haha, if only, I'm in danger of getting banned if not very careful..."I've heard the car can do 120+ easily in 4th gear with revs to spare".

Your car looks stunning btw, the GTI is a proper looker with the right combo, better than the BMW that's for sure.
Current - Mk7 Golf GTI w/performance pack
Previous - VW Golf Mk6 GTD, Ford Fiesta ST, BMW M135i, VW Golf MK5 GTI

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2013, 22:13 »

Haha, if only, I'm in danger of getting banned if not very careful..."I've heard the car can do 120+ easily in 4th gear with revs to spare".

Your car looks stunning btw, the GTI is a proper looker with the right combo, better than the BMW that's for sure.

Thanks! But yours is faster. A lot faster!  :evil:
Audi RS5 2018