Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2740301 times)

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #11300 on: 03 May 2021, 21:51 »
Got my hands on a set of Philips Diamond Vision (5000k) bulbs for the corner lights, safe to say they're more white than the xenons..
The previous Philips WhiteVision (3700k) bulbs were far more yellow

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #11301 on: 04 May 2021, 15:48 »
@Lordie; if you don’t carry rear seat passengers or any loads on the back seat, have you checked your headlining for water staining above the rear seat that had these white marks on? I’m wondering if the rubber gasket between the roof panel and aerial might have failed, allowing water in, saturating the roof lining and then dripping onto (and soaking) the rear seat backrest, although if it happened only once that’s probably not the cause.

With the staining on the front centre armrest; is it possible that a front seat passenger or driver could’ve had something damp on their sleeve that transferred to the armrest?

Condensation on the inside of the windscreen during the colder months may be a consequence of when the ambient air temperature drops below the dew point, causing moisture to form. However, if you’re getting ice on the inside of the screen and the car regularly steams up inside, ignoring the staining on the seats, these signs might be an indication of a separate water ingress problem. Check all the usual potential sources of water ingress and telltale signs;
  • blocked pollen filter
  • if you have a sunroof, blocked sunroof drain pipes
  • failed door speaker seals
  • failed or damaged rubber door and tailgate seals
  • failed or damaged roof aerial gasket
  • broken paintwork between tailgate hinges and hinge mounting points onto the bodywork
  • failed seals between rear light clusters and bodywork
  • perished grommet on the tailgate hatch handle drain tube (allowing water to drain into the tailgate cavity, which then empties into the boot)
  • water in the spare wheel well
  • damp carpets
  • leaving wet or damp clothing in the car

Ignore the marks on the arm rest, they're just general marks that have built up over time. But the rest of the white marks were very strange and small patches appeared throughout the car dotted around on every seat seemingly overnight.

One thing you have to bare in mind is that a tree fell onto the roof of my car which could be part of the cause. Although the very thin layer of ice on the inside of the windscreen sometimes was happening before that happened anyway. And I haven't noticed anything worse than before it happened

I've also always had an issue where if I drive the car with the heaters on, park up, then come back an hour later and start the engine the windscreen goes from clear to rapidly misting up in 10 seconds. So I have to very quickly hit the Max fan button before the whole windscreen mists up and I can't see where I'm driving. Once I hit Max it clears in a few seconds. I assume that may be down to some air filter inside the car?

Thank you very much for the list!. I haven't noticed a single thing obvious so once we get some good rain I'll go out and check though everything you listed  :smiley:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11302 on: 04 May 2021, 17:44 »
Lordie - you do run the car with the aircon on all the time?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #11303 on: 04 May 2021, 19:11 »

During the colder months I left the heater On set between 18-20 degrees. But no, I don't leave air con on.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11304 on: 04 May 2021, 20:02 »

During the colder months I left the heater On set between 18-20 degrees. But no, I don't leave air con on.

You need the aircon on all the time as it is a dehumidifier and that's why your screen steams up.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #11305 on: 04 May 2021, 20:18 »
It steams up rapidly when the heaters are first turned on like there's moisture in the system or something. So that's why I wondered if it's worth changing the filter. Regardless of if the air con is on or not, surely it shouldn't rapidly steam up in 10 seconds when you start driving?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11306 on: 04 May 2021, 20:35 »
There will be damp air, the aircon prevents that if you have it on all the time.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #11307 on: 04 May 2021, 21:08 »
Watts is right in what he says, the other consideration is the humidity sensor is working correctly when the a/c is switched on.

If your's is broken or not fitted? then this can result in constant misting of windows with too much moisture in the car as the a/c does not come on, or not for enough time?

Humidity sensor is in the mirror housing, you can see a few air vents around there.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #11308 on: 04 May 2021, 21:12 »
My daughters Polo BlueGT used to steam up the windscreen when first turned on, turns out the air con evaporator behind the dashboard was leaking.

Since replacing that its never suffered misting up again.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11309 on: 04 May 2021, 22:12 »
My daughters Polo BlueGT used to steam up the windscreen when first turned on, turns out the air con evaporator behind the dashboard was leaking.

Since replacing that its never suffered misting up again.

What do you and her think of the BlueGT? I was very tempted by one before I got the GTD, but never went for a test drive.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/