Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2767628 times)

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #11290 on: 28 April 2021, 16:55 »
Noticed some white marks on my seats the other week like mould. Weird as I've never seen it appear in the car like that before. So bought some of this to try. Seems to have worked but takes a hell of a lot of elbow grease to so all the seats and upholstery. Spray on and agitate with a slightly wet sponge or cloth.  Has a decent smell to it also. Not sure if a little soap and water would've done the same job though.
Can you notice a difference?

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

« Last Edit: 28 April 2021, 16:57 by Lordie »

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11291 on: 28 April 2021, 17:29 »
Noticed some white marks on my seats the other week like mould. Weird as I've never seen it appear in the car like that before. So bought some of this to try. Seems to have worked but takes a hell of a lot of elbow grease to so all the seats and upholstery. Spray on and agitate with a slightly wet sponge or cloth.  Has a decent smell to it also. Not sure if a little soap and water would've done the same job though.
Can you notice a difference?

Check the car for the usual areas of water ingress, and turn air recirc on when you leave the car for the night, you don't want mould spores in the car.  :smiley:

If the dirt marks come back when dry, you just need to repeat but also need to take a spray bottle of just water and spray the entire seat panel eg entire armrest, entire seat base evenly so it dries evenly so you get no marks.

You can get a white drill brush for the job to make it easier in the future they're fairly cheap ( https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/light-duty-upholstery-carpet-drill-brush )   
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #11292 on: 29 April 2021, 18:41 »
I know behind the speakers is apparently one place, do you know the others?. Oh I like that air recirculation tip, certainly didn't think of that one!. Will give it a try as I only really drive it on the weekends so should be good. THIS is what appeared. Never seen it before and seemingly appeared overnight a couple of months back. I scrubbed it off and it hasn't come back since

Haven't noticed any spots come back yet so I think I certainly put my back into it haha. Arm was aching after!. Wish I would've used a spray bottle, would've made it a lot easier

Thanks

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11293 on: 29 April 2021, 19:09 »
I know behind the speakers is apparently one place, do you know the others?. Oh I like that air recirculation tip, certainly didn't think of that one!. Will give it a try as I only really drive it on the weekends so should be good. THIS is what appeared. Never seen it before and seemingly appeared overnight a couple of months back. I scrubbed it off and it hasn't come back since

Haven't noticed any spots come back yet so I think I certainly put my back into it haha. Arm was aching after!. Wish I would've used a spray bottle, would've made it a lot easier

Thanks

Under the mats in the fronts seats or front and rear if you have a 5 door, you'll see the door latch has a rusty brown residue on it as well as the carpet being wet.

In the spare wheel well, this comes from the badge drain line more common on pre-facelift models as they revised the boot drain design.

And always change the cabin filter, especially if you or your kids have hay-fever then turn on aircare while you drive about really makes a difference  :smiley:

To me that doesn't look like mould, looks more like chalk did you set something in the seat? Car mould is green with a white edge.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #11294 on: 29 April 2021, 19:21 »
Thanks I'll have a check soon. It's not too bad but I think a bit is getting in somewhere. I do get ice on the inside of the windscreen in the winter, it also steams up often

Might just change the cabin filter for piece of mind as I've had the car a year and not sure when/if it's been changed

I know right, it's so weird. It was on the front passenger seat and on the back seats (I never have anyone or anything on the back seats). If you search 'White mould car seats' on Google it looks similar. It's never come back and I've never had it in any of my other cars

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11295 on: 30 April 2021, 07:40 »
Is it not water drops from opening the doors that then drips onto the seats?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11296 on: 30 April 2021, 08:48 »
Is it not water drops from opening the doors that then drips onto the seats?

The link that @Lordie posted in reply #11296 of this thread to the picture below looks like the inboard side of the rear nearside seat, so that area of the seat shouldn’t get wet from water droplets when opening the doors.

@Lordie; if you don’t carry rear seat passengers or any loads on the back seat, have you checked your headlining for water staining above the rear seat that had these white marks on? I’m wondering if the rubber gasket between the roof panel and aerial might have failed, allowing water in, saturating the roof lining and then dripping onto (and soaking) the rear seat backrest, although if it happened only once that’s probably not the cause.

With the staining on the front centre armrest; is it possible that a front seat passenger or driver could’ve had something damp on their sleeve that transferred to the armrest?

Condensation on the inside of the windscreen during the colder months may be a consequence of when the ambient air temperature drops below the dew point, causing moisture to form. However, if you’re getting ice on the inside of the screen and the car regularly steams up inside, ignoring the staining on the seats, these signs might be an indication of a separate water ingress problem. Check all the usual potential sources of water ingress and telltale signs;
  • blocked pollen filter
  • if you have a sunroof, blocked sunroof drain pipes
  • failed door speaker seals
  • failed or damaged rubber door and tailgate seals
  • failed or damaged roof aerial gasket
  • broken paintwork between tailgate hinges and hinge mounting points onto the bodywork
  • failed seals between rear light clusters and bodywork
  • perished grommet on the tailgate hatch handle drain tube (allowing water to drain into the tailgate cavity, which then empties into the boot)
  • water in the spare wheel well
  • damp carpets
  • leaving wet or damp clothing in the car
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11297 on: 01 May 2021, 11:16 »
Ah didn't see that picture for some reason. 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline MKgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11298 on: 01 May 2021, 13:08 »
@Lordie
Have you had any bodywork, spraying done on the car?
I ask because a friend of mine had her Tiguan repaired after some vandals scratched her car.
The rear bumper had been removed to respray.
About month after having it back mold appeared all over back seats and moisture was clearly in the car as inside the windscreen kept fogging up, she never had it before the work was done.
She had all aircon and heater matrix checked for leaks.
Eventually bodyshop took it back to investigate and found a grommet missing from when they took rear bumper off.
They fixed it and had it professionally valeted for her.
Top marks to bodyshop admitted fault, apologised and sorted.
She's had no problems since.
Collected and being driven....... Gti PP 5dr DSG Tornado red, tints and Brescia's.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11299 on: 03 May 2021, 21:29 »
Sold my BBS CI-R's from by old GTD, and accidentally slipped and ordered 3G0-601-025BH-2ZT to replace them :whistle:  :grin: