Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2791617 times)

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10500 on: 27 July 2020, 14:41 »
Major service and mot at the stealers.

No issues (63 plate and 33k) other than all the brakes are at 75% wear. Annoyingly there’s is an advisory on the MOT for a slight nick out of one of the rear tyres.

Offline Norwich7point5

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10501 on: 28 July 2020, 08:01 »
Just a minor one; got rid of the God awful main dealer fob and replaced it with something much nicer.
Yeah yeah, I know it's GTD and not GTI but I can live with that! :grin:

Where did you get this from? All I can find are GTI style ones

From the stealer; part number V5GD 087 010 'Key Tag'.
2017 mk7.5 Indium Grey Metallic GTI - 3 door - Manual - Art Velours - Brescia 19s - No fog lights!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10502 on: 28 July 2020, 14:49 »

Thanks, Watts, and Exonian - I know that you're the Forum wheel guru, I'm going to look back over your posts for inspiration. 

It's the metallic grey, haven't got round to finding out what it's called yet.  Plenty of other things to do, including drive it!

My initial thoughts?  Overall, it's very impressive, like a GTI only more so in every respect that matters - the extra weight is the first thing that you notice, but that's largely taken care of by the increased power, which is in turn harnessed by a more taut feel to the chassis, and bigger brakes. 

Many years ago I had the opportunity to drive a limited edition VW Motorsport MkII GTI, which had a supercharged 16v engine, and 4WD.  I drove it for a magazine photo shoot, and at the time I felt that it was one of the best cars that I had ever driven.  The R is definitely one of the best cars that I have ever owned - I had a Caterham, which is in a different league in terms of responsiveness and sheer performance, but that can't be compared to the R in any way.

I'm going to have a neighbour run his OBD diagnostic device on it, not that it feels as though there's anything wrong, but just to check for any fault codes, and have the suspension alignment checked.  One rear disc has some scoring, mentioned on the first MOT, and if I decide to keep the wheels, I'll put a set of Michelin PS4's on them.

Otherwise, I'm just enjoying it.  I'll put some pictures up as soon as real life stops getting in the way of the important stuff.

I think guru might be stretching it somewhat  :grin:

To be honest the mk7 is such a shape that very few wheels designs actually improve upon the factory look and after all these years I still think the Pretoria is by far the best looking wheel fitted to the mk7, so much so that there are probably dozens of styles released in the last few years that I’ve not even noticed as I’ve completely taken my eyes off the ball.
When something is just *right* it’s when everything else in the field of vision just blurs out and that’s where I put the Pretoria style as far as wheels and mk7’s go.
My internal wheel encyclopaedia has slipped I’m afraid.

A set of Pretoria reps in a slightly more aggressive offset would in my opinion be the perfect addition to your car with the new tyre cost pretty much recouped from selling the Cadiz.
Or keep the Cadiz as full sized spares, which is what I’d likely do.

The car sounds a beauty btw Dr Mike.

The grey was called Limestone on the pre-FL cars and was changed to Indium in 2017 with the facelift launch.

The R is a great car and I can never understand why people say they’re dull to drive. Granted it’s impossible to use anywhere near all of the performance on the public roads but play to their strengths and they’re huge fun to drive. Not perfect but still not really bettered within the segment.

You are very privileged to have driven a G60 Limited! The car that spawned a whole generation to want to change the red mk2 GTI grille stripe to light blue!! From memory they were 210 bhp? That was the stuff dreams were made of back then and yet regular production GTI’s have been over that figure for more than 10 years.
Never mind temperamental Italian exotica, the G60 Limited was my dream car when I was in my ‘20s. I only ever saw a couple at Inters when it was at the TRL. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #10503 on: 28 July 2020, 15:21 »
Sometimes I wonder if people think the R is dull because they’ve read it somewhere so that’s it. Incredible grip, great performance and practicality, a real every day car. I wonder if it had gti on the front some would think differently from others I’ve spoken to.

The R is just vastly different from the Gti. I honestly don’t prefer an R over a gti or vice versa.

Indium is a brilliant colour. Enjoy!!
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline DanDuda48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10504 on: 28 July 2020, 15:48 »
Can't wait to see the pictures, mcmaddy!
2018 Golf GTI PP White Silver; DCC, Discover Pro; Lane Assist & DLA; Parking pack; Climate windscreen; rear tints.
2016 Golf GTD Oryx white; DCC; Tech pack [=Discover Pro + Dynaudio]; Sport & Sound; Lane Assist & DLA; Parking pack; Climate windscreen; rear tints

Offline gixerste

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10505 on: 28 July 2020, 18:10 »
Bought a TCR backbox  from Germany just waiting for it to arrive now😉
Indium grey D.S.G. Mk7.5GTI pp

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10506 on: 28 July 2020, 18:18 »
Sometimes I wonder if people think the R is dull because they’ve read it somewhere so that’s it. Incredible grip, great performance and practicality, a real every day car. I wonder if it had gti on the front some would think differently from others I’ve spoken to.

The R is just vastly different from the Gti. I honestly don’t prefer an R over a gti or vice versa.

The R is just too good at handling its power. On decent tyres you have to do something truly daft on black ice to get it to become unstuck.

It also seems pretty tame in the power delivery until you wind it up past 4000 rpm

Most hot hatches feel a bit twitchy when you push them hard, it does excite a bit to know there are boundaries...the R has no boundaries you can push driving it legally.

Its just so refined in pushing the power out. It was a similar thing when I was 18 and got ket loose with my boss's Granada Scorpio Cosworth back in 1993. So fast yet so refined in delivery.

I kept my R 46 months, but the gritty gearbox marred the experience, especially when 3 different dealership groups wouldn't even look at what I assumed would be a simple linkage adjustment.

It only really excited me when hoofing it in a straight line, to the red line. It seems odd to criticise something for being too good at its job, but it does have a totally different character to the GTI.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline boardlord

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #10507 on: 28 July 2020, 23:23 »
Bought a TCR backbox  from Germany just waiting for it to arrive now😉

What are you fitting it too and where did you order it? Looking forward to some feedback  :smiley:
2019 MK7.5 GTi PP, 3dr, DSG, Indium Grey, Heated screen, Pan roof, 90% tints.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #10508 on: 28 July 2020, 23:25 »

The R is just too good at handling its power. On decent tyres you have to do something truly daft on black ice to get it to become unstuck.

It also seems pretty tame in the power delivery until you wind it up past 4000 rpm

Most hot hatches feel a bit twitchy when you push them hard, it does excite a bit to know there are boundaries...the R has no boundaries you can push driving it legally.

Its just so refined in pushing the power out. It was a similar thing when I was 18 and got ket loose with my boss's Granada Scorpio Cosworth back in 1993. So fast yet so refined in delivery.

I kept my R 46 months, but the gritty gearbox marred the experience, especially when 3 different dealership groups wouldn't even look at what I assumed would be a simple linkage adjustment.

It only really excited me when hoofing it in a straight line, to the red line. It seems odd to criticise something for being too good at its job, but it does have a totally different character to the GTI.

You should've just got the linkage adjustment done yourself if they were refusing a warranty claim. I must say mine has been incredibly slick since mine was done ( and I think I was fortunate that the first garage misdiagnosed as a worn clutch on the basis that the pedal felt heavy, otherwise I may well have got the same response you did).

2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10509 on: 29 July 2020, 06:03 »
^ The whole issue was just indicative of how sh!te the VW warranty is these days. Dealerships sending you off with a flea in your ear for legitimate warranty claims because they're afraid of doing work and not getting reimbursed for it. I do wonder how bad other marques are for this.

Part of the problem was how rare the R was in manual, they had no other vehicles to test for a basis of comparison and they accepted it as characteristic of the R with a manual box.

Unfortunately, more recent experiences have shown VW are getting worse for warranty refusal.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.