Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2763257 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #920 on: 29 April 2014, 12:39 »
30mpg in an UP!?  :shocked: Aye-up! I'm now feeling most happy with my GTI Long Term 35mpg :smiley: I do keep on wondering about a DTUK box… has it affected your mpg Monkeyhanger? And does it affect your warranty?

It potentially could affect my warranty, but I’d have it taken off before it went to the dealership and they’re supposed to be untraceable with no feedback to the ECU to confirm signal alterations made by the box. Things happen without these boxes on, I’ve had a 1.9TDI Polo blow a turbo at 4k miles before, so I wouldn’t feel guilty about returning the car for warranty work that the box might have helped cause. This is the first car I’ve had a box on.

MPG hasn’t been affected at all. I suspect it’s more economical by a tiny margin when I’m not pushing on, to counteract when I am pushing on. Driving it quite hard, I get about 44mpg around the doors and 53mpg on the motorway to see relatives 35 miles away, maintaining 80 all the way down. Those mpgs are actual (brim method) too, indicated mpg is a bit higher than that. Initial traction with my bridgestones is crap, but 30+ mph it’s as quick as a GTI and maybe a smidge quicker – I got past a 245ps A4 3.0TDI quattro that was trying hard last week, but not by much. Stick one of those on a GTI and you have Golf R performance.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
« Reply #921 on: 29 April 2014, 15:01 »
30mpg in an UP!?  :shocked: Aye-up! I'm now feeling most happy with my GTI Long Term 35mpg :smiley: I do keep on wondering about a DTUK box… has it affected your mpg Monkeyhanger? And does it affect your warranty?

It potentially could affect my warranty, but I’d have it taken off before it went to the dealership and they’re supposed to be untraceable with no feedback to the ECU to confirm signal alterations made by the box. Things happen without these boxes on, I’ve had a 1.9TDI Polo blow a turbo at 4k miles before, so I wouldn’t feel guilty about returning the car for warranty work that the box might have helped cause. This is the first car I’ve had a box on.

MPG hasn’t been affected at all. I suspect it’s more economical by a tiny margin when I’m not pushing on, to counteract when I am pushing on. Driving it quite hard, I get about 44mpg around the doors and 53mpg on the motorway to see relatives 35 miles away, maintaining 80 all the way down. Those mpgs are actual (brim method) too, indicated mpg is a bit higher than that. Initial traction with my bridgestones is crap, but 30+ mph it’s as quick as a GTI and maybe a smidge quicker – I got past a 245ps A4 3.0TDI quattro that was trying hard last week, but not by much. Stick one of those on a GTI and you have Golf R performance.

Thanks for the info Monkeyhanger. Food for thought. I'll check out the DTUK thread on here and do some homework. Are they reasonably easy to fit/remove?
2014 GTi Mk7 5dr Manual, Reflex Silver, PP, DNS, Dynaudio, Pano Roof.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #922 on: 29 April 2014, 15:19 »
Ginagee:For a GTD they’re incredibly easy, 2 plug ins within easy reach under the engine cover. I’ve been led to believe that the GTI is fiddlier with 3 leads, one in a harder to reach place, the box needs powering with the battery on a GTI, but on the GTD it gets its power from the common rail feed so doesn’t need a third lead (to the battery). Andrew at DTUK should be able to hoy you a PDF of the fitting instructions or something similar (starting to feel like a sales rep for DTUK  :smiley:).

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #923 on: 29 April 2014, 16:48 »
The one at the bottom of the engine is the b!tch, i actually need to soap up my arm to get to it.

However, it would actually be easier to install this box if your a girl as your arm should reach fine.
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #924 on: 29 April 2014, 17:53 »
I do keep on wondering about a DTUK box… has it affected your mpg Monkeyhanger? And does it affect your warranty?
Do it! Will help your drag strip times no end!

MPG in the quick use I did was unaffected. Obviously if you hoof it then it will drink fuel but that's only a very very small part of general driving if you have any sort of sanity and want to keep your licence!
Warranty technically would be affected BUT the box doesn't put the sort of strain on the engine that would blow it up. The power delivery is very factory, no massive sudden turbo surge so as long as you drive it normally there's no reason it would do any harm I'd think.

The one at the bottom of the engine is the b!tch, i actually need to soap up my arm to get to it.

However, it would actually be easier to install this box if your a girl as your arm should reach fine.
Getting at the bottom one has left a scar on my left hand!!! It's tight down there!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
« Reply #925 on: 29 April 2014, 19:48 »
I do keep on wondering about a DTUK box… has it affected your mpg Monkeyhanger? And does it affect your warranty?
Do it! Will help your drag strip times no end!

MPG in the quick use I did was unaffected. Obviously if you hoof it then it will drink fuel but that's only a very very small part of general driving if you have any sort of sanity and want to keep your licence!
Warranty technically would be affected BUT the box doesn't put the sort of strain on the engine that would blow it up. The power delivery is very factory, no massive sudden turbo surge so as long as you drive it normally there's no reason it would do any harm I'd think.

Getting at the bottom one has left a scar on my left hand!!! It's tight down there!

Drag strip times, yes, that's what I've got in mind! Thanks Exonian.
I can confirm I am a girl, and have girly arms! I usually come in handy when the husband needs something fiddly doing on his motor!
2014 GTi Mk7 5dr Manual, Reflex Silver, PP, DNS, Dynaudio, Pano Roof.

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #926 on: 29 April 2014, 22:10 »
Was hoofing it back home and rather bored so thought id use my stopwatch on the car and decided to time from speed A to speed B, as follows:

70 - eh...well 90 in 4th gear - 4.6 seconds
30 - 70 from 3rd to 4th - 4.3 seconds (i think this is wrong lol so il try this again tomorrow as this appears to be stupidly quick, i think itl be closer to 5.5)

These were 1 run only and may be an odd point of a second out or 2 but you get the idea. Be keen to compare this to a standard GTD or GTI. 
« Last Edit: 29 April 2014, 22:36 by virginVWman »
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #927 on: 30 April 2014, 07:49 »
Wow! What a difference jumping back into my GTD from that UP made when I picked my car up last night. Brakes that actually work, an accelerator that actually makes the car do something, equipment beyond electric windows. Then adding the DTUK box back on when I got home made another big difference.

Finally, I swapped over the wiper blades for the Bosch Aerotwins – what a difference they have made this morning on fine drizzle. It’s easy to see why the OEM ones are so sh!te once they are off the car. They are bent like a banana, under so much tension to maintain that shape. When they are flattened against the screen, the outer edges will be hard against the screen, but there won’t be much downward pressure at all where the middle is as the arch will be trying to push the middle back off the screen, to allow the down-stroke smear to occur. The Aerotwins are straight when you take them out of the box, with enough give to allow them to take the slight curve of the screen. This has been the case for my last 4 new VWs, why can’t VW get something as simple as this right in 3 generations of Golf?

Benfield have immaculately cleaned the car. When you stick your car in for a service and they say they have “valeted” it by quickly showing the hoover to it, that is not what I have had done. It is like new on all of the interior surfaces, not a single tiny stone tracked in on the carpets, the rubber mats look like they’ve been scrubbed in the ridges with a toothbrush, my boot floor was quite scruffy and everything has been hovered off it. If they could do everything else like they valeted my car, I’d be very happy.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #928 on: 30 April 2014, 08:14 »
Good to hear you have the beast back MH, how did the actual paintwork repair come out - was it to your satisfaction ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #929 on: 30 April 2014, 08:56 »
Good to hear you have the beast back MH, how did the actual paintwork repair come out - was it to your satisfaction ?

Yep, looks fine, like they were never there - i'm not quite to that standard yet for my own on a 2 paint job - fine on the lacquer tops.