Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2759158 times)

Offline karlak

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #690 on: 21 February 2014, 19:35 »
Just ordered mine a present: CRDT-2 tuning box from DTUK.

:)

Looking forward to the write-up.

Especially the economy gains/losses with it fitted.
Ordered 06/01/14.  5DR GTD DSG, Red. Park Assist | Rear Camera | Keyless entry | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | Pro Nav.

Offline Ap69

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #691 on: 21 February 2014, 19:37 »
Will have to have a look. Could be handy in the winter/rainy days.
In winter or if the car is particularly dirty I would advise a quick trip to the local jet wash (or pressure wash at home) just to blast off any big bits of crud and remove as much as possible to avoid any possible damage.

Gowd I wouldn't!

Pressure washers bash the gritty dirt against the paint to get it off (under pressure). Maybe ok if it's well waxed up and kept so but snow foam far better let it sit on for a few mins then just wash it off with a regular hose. Removes mud/dirt etc, in summer just a chamois off if winter 2 bucket wash.
Each to their own :)
Golf Gti 3dr Night Blue Manual

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #692 on: 21 February 2014, 19:48 »
I would never use a pressure washer on my car. The jet can fracture paint, allows water to get into places that are designed waterproof, but not anticipating a 120Bar splash of water etc etc.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline peterdoherty

• Here all the time
« Reply #693 on: 21 February 2014, 20:21 »
Will have to have a look. Could be handy in the winter/rainy days.
In winter or if the car is particularly dirty I would advise a quick trip to the local jet wash (or pressure wash at home) just to blast off any big bits of crud and remove as much as possible to avoid any possible damage.

Gowd I wouldn't!

Pressure washers bash the gritty dirt against the paint to get it off (under pressure). Maybe ok if it's well waxed up and kept so but snow foam far better let it sit on for a few mins then just wash it off with a regular hose. Removes mud/dirt etc, in summer just a chamois off if winter 2 bucket wash.
Each to their own :)
I would never use a pressure washer on my car. The jet can fracture paint, allows water to get into places that are designed waterproof, but not anticipating a 120Bar splash of water etc etc.

I do use a pre-wash (VP Citrus) to lubricate and soften the worst of the dirt off before pressure washing(didn't want to get too OCD on here!)

One of the 2 places I live (long story) is an apartment block with no external access to water so an ONR wash is best that can be done. Doing an ONR wash on a particularly dirty car isn't advisable (risk of marks etc) so the best option is to prewash elsewhere (where external water supply is available) to get rid of most of the dirt before using ONR.

Its the only option I have - each to their own with what facilities & equipment they have.

In the other location I live (detached house with external tap) I would do a full 'traditional' snow foam/2BM wash.

I also believe any damage to paintwork from using a pressure washer is down to poor technique of using the tool. If the dirt is well lubricated (prewash) and the PW is used from a safe distance (and pressure adjusted if possible) and the correct movement things will be fine.
MKVII GTD DSG Carbon Grey 5DR, Dynaudio, Keyless Entry, Rear View Camera, Colour MFD, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Climate Screen, Advanced Phone Kit, High Beam Assist

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #694 on: 22 February 2014, 07:29 »
You shouldn't have any issues at all using a pressure washer on your car as long as you don't go daft. Adjust the pressure so it's a flat or spread water and don't stand too close to the car especially not with the jet pointing directly at your paint.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #695 on: 22 February 2014, 10:35 »
If you're worried about using a pressure washer just stand further back  :smiley:

Unfortunately with no driveway and living in a flat on the first floor so no use of a hose, local jet washes are my only resource beyond going through an automatic car wash (no thanks) and letting the hand car wash people use god knows what on it.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #696 on: 22 February 2014, 13:32 »
Using a power washer is absolutely fine, I've always used one. Obviously you need to use it with a bit of common sense - wide spray, stand back, etc. It makes the washing process so much easier. I can't see how you could clean around the wheel arches properly without one anyway.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #697 on: 22 February 2014, 13:35 »
Washed the car today, used the jetwash first On the shampoo setting only, rallied home and hand washed using two bucket method then topped her off with some autoglym aquawax, good stuff even smells nice :smiley: internals tomorrow then bring on the rain lol
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #698 on: 22 February 2014, 14:39 »
Been to DTUK to pick up my CRDT-2 box, details to follow in the relevant GTD specific thread.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #699 on: 22 February 2014, 14:54 »
Monsta if your interested I've got one of these for sale http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi-v-17-portable-bike-pressure-washer/rp-prod46653.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.