Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2739154 times)

Offline Rob916

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #140 on: 09 October 2013, 22:33 »
Picked it up from the dealers and had it detailed  :cool:
Gti, 5 door, carbon grey, keyless, discover nav, winter pack. Gone and missed, tornado red Gtd dsg.

Offline Dully

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #141 on: 10 October 2013, 14:07 »
Under the instructions of Mrs D I relunctantly put the silver alloy tax disc holder in it, now I was going to protest but it is her car and she promised to take it out if it looked crap. Strange as it may seem, the silver of the holder and the red of the tax disc look an exact colour match for the GTI front wing badges, even on a white car it looks quite good. Not sure what I am going to do when the colour of the tax disc changes in a year  :grin:
Driving - MK7 GTD, 5 Door, CSG, DSG, Santiago's

Offline Ian.C

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #142 on: 10 October 2013, 15:00 »
Not totally "on the car" which we havnt got yet....but finally got planning approved for a new garage.....should be built before our GTI turns up.

Ian
3 Door - Pure White - PP

Offline Dully

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #143 on: 10 October 2013, 15:08 »
Not totally "on the car" which we havnt got yet....but finally got planning approved for a new garage.....should be built before our GTI turns up.

Ian

Did you forget the punch line? :whistle:
Driving - MK7 GTD, 5 Door, CSG, DSG, Santiago's

Offline Aidey

• Here all the time
« Reply #144 on: 12 October 2013, 16:43 »
Regarding the vanity light mod, im going to do that tomorrow, had  look today but i couldnt see exactly where the cover comes off, and dont want to break anything, could anyone help out here who has done it, maybe a pic or description please :shocked:
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....
Sold Gti DSG 2020 Performance Indium Grey .....
Gti Sold... ClubSport Edition 40 , ... Sold Aug 2018....

Offline Rob916

• Not said much yet
« Reply #145 on: 12 October 2013, 17:11 »
Stood and admired it, cleaned it and admired it some more ! Sad I know but I'm really that pleased with it !
Gti, 5 door, carbon grey, keyless, discover nav, winter pack. Gone and missed, tornado red Gtd dsg.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #146 on: 12 October 2013, 17:16 »
Regarding the vanity light mod, im going to do that tomorrow, had  look today but i couldnt see exactly where the cover comes off, and dont want to break anything, could anyone help out here who has done it, maybe a pic or description please :shocked:

I've come to the conclusion that I'm absolutely hopeless at even the smallest of mods  :embarrassed:.I bought the LED's to do the vanity lights and it was really easy to get the covers off by just using your finger on the one side. However, when I tried putting the lights in I got the drivers one to work ok but I couldn't get the passenger one to work and for a minute I thought I had short circuited when there was a small electric discharge. I quickly replaced the originals and just left them. Then, subsequently both lights started to rattle badly whenever I was driving on an uneven surface. Needless to say when my car was in the dealer for other rattles I pointed out that the vanity lights were crap and kept making noises  :rolleyes: :whistle:

I think im just going to stick with the originals  :grin:

« Last Edit: 12 October 2013, 17:18 by CraigW »

Offline stuart.cameron

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #147 on: 12 October 2013, 17:49 »

I've come to the conclusion that I'm absolutely hopeless at even the smallest of mods  :embarrassed:.I bought the LED's to do the vanity lights and it was really easy to get the covers off by just using your finger on the one side. However, when I tried putting the lights in I got the drivers one to work ok but I couldn't get the passenger one to work and for a minute I thought I had short circuited when there was a small electric discharge. I quickly replaced the originals and just left them. Then, subsequently both lights started to rattle badly whenever I was driving on an uneven surface. Needless to say when my car was in the dealer for other rattles I pointed out that the vanity lights were crap and kept making noises  :rolleyes: :whistle:

Remember LEDs only work one way round!
Current // Golf GTD 3dr DSG - Carbon Grey | Discovery Nav Pro, Keyless Entry, Park Assist, Reverse Camera, Winter Pack
Previous // Polo GTI 6r - Black | Xenons, MFSW, Winter Pack, Sensor Pack, Convenience Pack, Climate Control, RNS 510 w/Bluetooth

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
« Reply #148 on: 13 October 2013, 08:28 »

I'm just about to order these.  In light of the additonal rattles Craig has added any tips from ppl who have done the mod successfuly would be most welcome  :smiley:
On Order: 02/05/13
GTD: Carbon Grey, Winter Pack, Keyless, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Furry Dice
Collected: 06/11/13

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #149 on: 13 October 2013, 08:44 »
I did it on day one. No issues at all. The LED festoon bulbs are a few mm longer than the standard bulbs, so it just means its a slightly tighter fit, but the brass terminals they snap into bend anyway.

I think this is the problem Craig might have had, that the LED versions had made the "gap" slightly wider between contacts, so when he put his standard bulbs back in, they didn't fit snug and rattled. A quick bit of pressure on one of the electrical spring tabs, would have pushed them back together to grip the standard bulbs tightly.

Also, very importantly as Stuart said, LED bulbs are polarised, and only work when installed in a particular direction. So if at first it doesn't illuminate, just spin it 180 degrees and it should then work.

Really easy....shame on you Craig  :grin: :grin:
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras