Author Topic: retrofit wireless phone charging  (Read 4992 times)

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
retrofit wireless phone charging
« on: 13 September 2017, 14:40 »
With Apple announcing that all the new phones now feature wireless charging, I really wish I had ticked that option as I've got an upgrade coming end of the year.

Has anyone ever retro fitted wireless charging?
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: retrofit wireless phone charging
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2017, 16:59 »
There was a German company making a third party one but only for lhd... The usb connection moves to the other side on lhd...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2017, 17:33 »
Well if you think the apple stuff will work in a Vw I think you may be wrong, they were talking about using a different wireless system to all other phones, apple like being different 😂🤣

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2017, 17:42 »
Well if you think the apple stuff will work in a Vw I think you may be wrong, they were talking about using a different wireless system to all other phones, apple like being different 😂🤣

Nope. They are using the Qi standard  :nerd:

What they are developing is a charging pad for their kit so you can charge the phone, watch and airpods on the same pad

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2017, 17:59 »

What they are developing is a charging pad for their kit so you can charge the phone, watch and airpods on the same pad
😮😮😮 amazing, apple putting customers first, didn't they have time to create their own protocols 😂😂😂

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2017, 18:24 »

😮😮😮 amazing, apple putting customers first, didn't they have time to create their own protocols 😂😂😂

Yes, nice to see Apple jump into the 21st century. Now if they could jump into this decade it would be better and use fast wireless charging but I'm guessing they're keeping that until sometime in the 2020's :rolleyes:

OP, you'd be better off going for this http://www.d-docks.com/
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Beezer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2017, 21:45 »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 14 September 2017, 07:40 »
Does Apple CarPlay work over Bluetooth?

The thing I've said about the wireless charging is that its great except that you can't use Android Auto while using it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 14 September 2017, 07:53 »
Does Apple CarPlay work over Bluetooth?

The thing I've said about the wireless charging is that its great except that you can't use Android Auto while using it.

Nope
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 14 September 2017, 08:27 »
Wow ... some great ideas and links, thanks guys!

Looks like I'll be able to wire something up, just need to confirm if apples system will be compatible or stand alone.

MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.