Author Topic: High Reving!  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Dub_Girl03

• Just got here
High Reving!
« on: 31 March 2003, 12:23 »
Hi ppl, ;D

I've got a 1.8 golf GL (1990) and i'm experiencing problems with high reving. It occurs when i've been out in the car for abour 5 mins, and the car becomes stationary. It revs on 2000 and sometimes higher. After a while the revs drop down to a more respectable 850 - 1000. If i go for a short run and switch the engine off whilst the revs are this high, the car will cough and splutter before conking out (sometimes i have to stall it to stop the engine!)  :-[

It's been in and out of the garage, all telling me the accelerator cable is sticking. This was supposedly fixed - but the problem still happens. Could it have something to do with the alternator, as i've been told that high reving can occur when theres not enough power been put back into the battery. I've had problems with the car not starting with my radio on - suggesting that i'm not getting enough power back into my battery. The battery is fairly new.

Would changing the alternator help??  ???

Thanx  :D

« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline nickthegreek

• Not said much yet
Re: High Reving!
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2003, 01:57 »
Before spending a penny on any parts check the alternator first. Any garage can do this for you or a mate with the right tool (forget what it's called) to check the current. I had very similar problems on my 8v gti but i don't think it will be the same fix as yours.
Do a search on this as it's a common problem. So common i don't know what it is..LOL
Good luck and don't spend what u don't have too.
Been pushin a ford all these years!!!
How stoopid was i?

Pykie

Re: High Reving!
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2003, 14:46 »
Ive had a simillar problem with my 1.8 driver, if you look behind the carb under that green ball . There are two wires on a plug these wires sometimes break off .

I presume your golf has a Pieburg carb, if so it might be worth changing the wax stat.