Author Topic: 1992 Karmann Convertible GTI - Mk-1 Golf - Car specs & Questions...  (Read 12949 times)

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Why thank you Bronze ! I'd like to say I was a fountain of useless knowledge on Golfs but I got it all out of a book ! :laugh: It's a good book though, link below if interested, I got it at a show last year and it goes up to mk3, even has pics of veedubs that never made it to production like a convertible raddo and a convertible mk2. :shocked: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1852239964/qid=1105634512/sr=1-16/ref=sr_1_0_16/202-3871085-4231830

The funny thing was that the guy who asked the question was from Israel (I think, golfgti.co.uk global or what!) and the next day he was asking questions about the mk2 he was thinking of buying, so I either bored him to death or he decided that the mk1 wasn't for him ! :laugh: :laugh:
......now officially dubless.

Offline Bronze MK1 Cab

• I live here
I have got a VW golf book, but it's not that one!

Looking at those stats mines not that far off a GTI spec. Last RR day it ran 110 bhp at the fly. The 0-60 at inters was 9.95 and I've hit 120 mph (obviously that could be wrong as it was just off my speedo).

Offline 83GTI-DS

• Not said much yet
[Edit: I'm going to make a new thread out of this thing - it's a different subject]

Gibby,

By far you didn't bother me to death - on the contrary! You've been of great help. That car was just out of my budget unfortunately, and I had to focus on a different one that was much closer to my financial abilities.

Golf GTI is not a common car around here. I've just heard from one of the club manager of the VAG club in Israel that some people spend a full year or more before finding a Golf GTI for a major project, and they're willing to shed some serious dollars (or NIS - New Israeli Shekels? :grin: ). I must have been lucky, and also spent countless hours scouring ads to find these few cars I have.

This is also why I ask questions about an MK-1 Cab, and then go on to the MK-2 forums to ask about a totally different car - so far I was able to locate 5 cars, of which only 3 were worth taking a look at. That's in about a month or more of scouring the net as well as the local papers, and non-local papers (and also some motor magazines around here).

Of those three, one was unfortunately too expensive for me (the 1992 Karmann Cab I was talking about), since the owner wanted $8K USD for it. In Israel that's lower than the acceptable price for this car, but still too high for me.

I did locate two other cars that are of interest. One is an MK-2 GTI, which I have yet to see since it's very far in the north and I'll have to plan that sometime, possibly next week. The other, I have a question about...

It's an 86 imported GTI Cabrio, red paint, black top, 2 doors, 3rd owner, 180,000 KMs (around 115,000 miles), original rims, rear windshield defroster (the thingy that makes the humidity go away - sorry, but no idea how that's called exactly? :laugh: ), and this next item is my main question:

This car was fitted with a Passat 1.8 GTI? 20V engine, from around 91-92 or something along these lines. The engine is relatively new as far as its mileage, according to the owner. Can anyone provide me with specs regarding this engine, or the general idea of placing such an engine in this car? It doesn't sound too natural, but then again they're both VWs, so who knows... What are your thoughts?

Also - Excuse me for my ignorance, but how does a 5V per Cylinder engine actually work? What's the extra valve for - a 3rd exhaust valve, or what?

Thank you VERY much for all your help again!? :wink:? :smiley:? :smiley: :smiley:

Adi.
« Last Edit: 11 February 2005, 10:51 by 83GTI-DS »

Offline Whittle55

• Not said much yet
Hi All.

Reading through a the threads and i asume that my golf must be a 1989 Karmen Convertible Gti. I didnt realise that it was only called a karmen clipper if the engine wasnt a gti.

I always thought mine was a called a karmen clipper gti but i have been wrong all this time.

Cheers All.
Andy.

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
I guess they are either Golf GTi convertibles or a Golf Clipper convertible, the karmen bit doesn't really come into it, they were just the German coach builders that did the design. The clippers usually say "clipper" down the back quarter panel. Karmen are the same as say, pinifarina (or whatever they are called) who did the designs for the astra coupe and 406 coupe, apologies for swearing there !  :laugh:

Offline Whittle55

• Not said much yet
Thanks for that.

The only marking it has are the Karmen badges near the front wheel arches. Apart from that the satndard vw and gti badges.

Cheers
Andy

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
Aye, same as mine, that's the only reference to karmenn on mine too.  :smiley:

Offline carrie

• Here all the time
  • i can see into your soul and its not good
better examples of pininfarina would be ferrari  :smiley:

SAY YOU LOVE SATIN?, NO SATAN, ITS SATAN