Author Topic: Lead times  (Read 31071 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Lead times
« Reply #140 on: 01 May 2021, 20:55 »
Perfect, that will be my22.. Just in time to get the speed restrictor.  :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #141 on: 01 May 2021, 23:30 »
Post deleted - answered my own question. (Was annoying my vw related)
« Last Edit: 01 May 2021, 23:57 by Kenis »
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #142 on: 05 May 2021, 21:31 »
I'm picking my ID3 up on Saturday. For the purposes of 'lead times indications, it was exactly a week between my car arriving in the UK (Stage 6) and arriving at the dealership group (stage 7).

So I have a 240 mile trek on the train from Newcastle to Evesham to pick it up. I'd like to get there as early as possible to get on with my 4 hour drive home as early as possible but unfortunately they won't deal with me until 4pm as they usually don't allow pick-up  of new cars at the weekend when it's prime selling time (snaring new customers). Not quite the result I was hoping for, but they already have the promise of my money.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #143 on: 05 May 2021, 21:49 »
At least the evenings are drawing out, most of it will be in the daylight...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #144 on: 05 May 2021, 21:58 »
At least the evenings are drawing out, most of it will be in the daylight...

Yes, but I was hoping to be able to collect on my terms within their operating hours as a paying customer who's got a long journey ahead of them. Suppose it's the price you pay for them beating the DTD price by £450.
« Last Edit: 05 May 2021, 22:02 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #145 on: 06 May 2021, 09:24 »
Lets hope you have a following wind  :grin:

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #146 on: 06 May 2021, 09:28 »
And that they have it fully charged it up!

The 240 mile trip home must be right at it's range limit?
« Last Edit: 06 May 2021, 09:54 by Rudedog »
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #147 on: 06 May 2021, 09:42 »
Yes, but I was hoping to be able to collect on my terms within their operating hours as a paying customer who's got a long journey ahead of them. Suppose it's the price you pay for them beating the DTD price by £450.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys... I guess you know how to handle that though  :laugh:

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #148 on: 06 May 2021, 10:11 »
Been thinking (dangerous, some would say...). Back in the day, there were a few episodes on TG along the lines of 'how far can we get on a tank of diesel/petrol' etc. Invariably, said vehicle went further than the theoretical range and the 'boys' were generally amazed.

From the limited amount of reading I have done on EVs, it seems that to get anywhere near the theoretical range, many factors have to be aligned, otherwise you won't - in some cases, nowhere near.

Just a random thought, really  :whistle:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #149 on: 06 May 2021, 10:24 »
WLTP is a pretty realistic test though, it should be possible to achieve WLTP range figures.... but like the numbers for ICE vehicles, there still are a lot of factors that can drag it down.... vehicle load (passengers, your fat arse, crap in the boot), temperature, traffic and gradients over the route being just some of them.

The main difference of course between ICE and BEV is that finding a petrol station is relatively easy and quick.... a BEV charging stop is tricky to find, you have to hope that it works when you get there, that someone else isn't using it and even if you have one of the latest 800v charge capable vehicles, the charger you find might only be an old skool 100w charger that takes 24 hours to give you a full charge...

It will get better of course, but we are a long way off nirvana yet even in the UK, let alone trying to drive across Europe.

For now, I'd suggest the main use of BEV is as a local run-around with home charging - and for most people this is probably good enough.... but not mile munchers and not anyone without a driveway... The social divide aspect I find most worrying for the next few years, especially as we can expect aggressive taxation on ICE to force people to give it up.