Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 654105 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #3200 on: 02 April 2023, 19:53 »
Interesting can you still get the bonnet pad new?
My insurance renewal just came through at 165.33, the road tax hurts. I also need 4 new tyres which will hurt more.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2023, 19:57 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3201 on: 02 April 2023, 20:05 »
Bonnet insulation is a Chinese version but can still get oem at a price!! The one I fitted is not as thick as the original but the tabs seem more robust. Looks the same quality as the mk7 one I had replaced under warranty. Insurance goes up fair bit when you get to certain age.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #3202 on: 17 April 2023, 16:03 »
Have added the Maxton Spoiler extension, adds bit more feature to the rear in line with other black on white features

Was so happy, added one to the 128ti as well, good quality perfectly fitting products

« Last Edit: 17 April 2023, 16:06 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3203 on: 24 April 2023, 17:52 »
Car went in for its major service today (201,200 miles), all went well nothing horredous to report. Phew  :shocked: 

Couple of minor items reported on the health check.  Car's bonnet catch and its release cable is stiff to operate, which to be fair it is  :rolleyes:. I'll monitor and possibly look up how to change myself as the health check only states that the front section of the cable is needed along with a new catch.  Rear pads down to 6 mm.

Only sore point was the garage's pickup driver was dropped off in a White Mk8 Golf, granted not GTI Clubsport, but reminded me what I'd ordered 13 months ago and still nowhere to be seen!  :grin:   
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #3204 on: 25 April 2023, 10:14 »
Car went in for its major service today (201,200 miles), all went well nothing horredous to report. Phew  :shocked: 

Couple of minor items reported on the health check.  Car's bonnet catch and its release cable is stiff to operate, which to be fair it is  :rolleyes:. I'll monitor and possibly look up how to change myself as the health check only states that the front section of the cable is needed along with a new catch.  Rear pads down to 6 mm.

Only sore point was the garage's pickup driver was dropped off in a White Mk8 Golf, granted not GTI Clubsport, but reminded me what I'd ordered 13 months ago and still nowhere to be seen!  :grin:   

Was this a VW service and how much was it for the service? Mine is due its next service in August, the first in our ownership, and we intend to maintain its already FVWSH and its just about to clock 60,000 miles, which at the 3000 mile average we likely to keep at, will take us 45 + years to get to yours!  :wink:

Really like the Mk8 Clubsport, be my preferred of the MK 8 performance, but 13 months is some wait, my 128Ti was 9 months and thought that was bad, though there was someone on the BMW forum who got close to 2 years but had such a good deal, he stuck it out, and given all the price increases across the board to buy, lease, PCP, the wait actually feels worth it to him now.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3205 on: 25 April 2023, 11:17 »
New car delivery times are just silly, I waited 7 months for my GRyaris, some who ordered in Jun/July 21 are still waiting or they are just arriving. So similar to the near 2 Yr delivery for BMW.
Nissan vans i was told lately are anywere from 12-24 months depending on model.
Then again I waited 7 months for my mk6 GTI many years ago.

Servicing
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners-and-services/servicing-and-parts/pricing-for-cars-over-3.html
« Last Edit: 25 April 2023, 11:25 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3206 on: 26 April 2023, 12:19 »

Was this a VW service and how much was it for the service?

Hi @Hertsman, yes my major service was carried out at a main dealer.  Car's had a FVWSH since new.  I have a service plan which I renewed last year as my previous 5 year one had run its course.  At the time of renewing my service plan, my major service is £354, and a minor service is £184.  Though I got them to include the engine flush on the plan too which is an extra £19.99.

Was going to take another 5 year one out again to take advantage of 2022 pricing, but apparently I can't transfer to the Mk8.  I'll have to cancel my current service plan and then take out a new one for the Clubsport (whenever it arrives).  So I've only taken out a 2 year plan for my Mk6.

I'm still looking forward to the Clubsport of course, but I'm going to stick out the wait and not cancel the order as I'm too far along now.
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3207 on: 04 June 2023, 14:23 »
Decided to do something about my rather stiff bonnet latch release following the garage mentioning it.  The fear of it snapping when I needed to actually get into the engine bay got the better of me.  :grin:

Found out why the original latch was becoming difficult to release the bonnet when compared to the new one.  14 years' worth of grot and grime.  Plus the release cable had a couple of rusting splits in its outer sheath.

Replacement took about 45 minutes, latch came with release cable and sensor wire already attached. At the point of ordering the dealer did order a separate release cable as the system didn't indicate it came pre-assembled.  Though on a subsquent visit the dealer said they'd ordered another bonnet release latch for a different customer and that didn't come with the release cable.  So who knows...

The time consuming bit was releasing and removing the car's existing bonnet sensor cable.  This goes from the latch to the nearside (passenger side) of the engine bay, the opposite of the release cable.   Sensor cable felt like it was tie-wrapped along the top of the radiator/fan enclosure.  But it was actually just a very snug fit.

Bonnet is releasing effortlessly now, without fearing you have to snap the bonnet release handle in the footwell.  :grin:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3208 on: 04 June 2023, 16:06 »
Maybe that's should also be in the how too guides ?   :cool:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3209 on: 08 June 2023, 12:16 »
Maybe that's should also be in the how too guides ?   :cool:

If I get some time Snoopy I'll put something together in the Mk6 How To section  :wink:.  I do have a few more photos of the experience, but didn't want to go OTT in my post. :grin: