Author Topic: Mk3 8v, again.. 😊  (Read 11189 times)

Offline Souchy1

• Just got here
Mk3 8v, again.. 😊
« on: 14 March 2017, 05:22 »
Hi

This is my first post. Hope I can get some help..  I recently managed to get my hands on a 3dr mk3 8v..
Not expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised to find it had an immaculate interior and been maintained very well. Plus, for an 8v it really does shift! 👌
It does need a bit of work to get it roadworthy again, but I can do that all myself in due course.
Think its fair to say I like to tinker with things and have a keen interest in tuning it, while trying not to lose the essence of what made it what it is. Call me sentimental.. 😊
So, trying not to get too excited by it all.... I have been looking into supercharging!  I have read that an Eaton M45 supercharger is a great place to start, combined with a G60 intake manifold and loom.. can someone tell me if I'd need an extra headgasket to lower compression and would an intercooler be needed if its running low boost? Think it may be useful as I hear they can run about 200hp without much effort? Anything else essential for the list?
Want to do things fairly simply. Not interested in messing with it too much. Will add a 35mm drop in the suspension and a set of descent wheels, aswell as upgrading the brakes when its all done. 🖒😊

P.S need to change the abs pump. Any advice on specifics for this model? 😁🖒

Will add pictures soon
Thanks

Adam

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Mk3 8v, again.. 😊
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2017, 13:40 »
Abs go on the number on it.
G60 ecu and loom will be needed.
If you can get ce2 loom itll plug straight in.
If you cant find loom then standalone will be the way to go.
Itll be stacked gasket or low comp pistons. 200hp id go piston route

Offline Souchy1

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2017, 06:24 »
Thanks.
Forgot to mention the loom and ecu in my thread.. Cheers for reminding me.. Can find all the bits online still!
Where can I find low comp pistons?
A stacked headgasket is alot less work..What do you think I will be able to achieve realistically with the M45 eaton/G60 setup.. Nothing too severe.. 😁

Thanks.. 🖒
« Last Edit: 15 March 2017, 06:29 by Souchy1 »

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2017, 17:11 »
Dont know 112bhp standard
Stacked gasket id be happy if it ran a reliable 170.
Im not sure what eatons run psi wise but a chip in ecu and a smaller pulley will push it well up there.

Put it in ebay foe pistons. Wosner... Think thats how its spelt.
Either way youll need a gasket set and a cambelt kit. You might be able to get a thicker gasket that lowers the compression. I seem to think you can for the 16v envine so should fit or get one for the 8v engine.

Might be able to run low boost reliably without touching the gaskets but most people want to increase power when they get use to it so then youd have to lower compression eventually anyway

Offline Souchy1

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2017, 20:24 »
Yeah I think 115hp standard. Want to get upto around 200hp.. 👌
Low compression pistons are a fairly big expense. Am trying to keep costs down to a minimum.. as long as head gasket set is reliable for the application, will prob go for that.. Doing alot of the work myself.. 🖒🖒😏
Can pick up the charger and bits for fairly cheap... all in I'd say about a grand for charger, loom, ecu, manifold, gasket set, cambelt.. If it gets silly I will consider a set of pistons. 👌😊
When you say smaller pulley.. which pulley are you referring to?? 😁

Thanks 🖒👌
« Last Edit: 15 March 2017, 20:46 by Souchy1 »

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2017, 13:13 »
Charger puller. So it spools up more to the revs. Making more boost and hp.
A grand. Thats expensive but itll be different then ever other 1.8t conversion.
May be 115bhp 112 might be the mk2 8v

Ill be watching as contemplating charging my 16v later on down the year but cant decide how to mount the eaton on the block

Offline Souchy1

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2017, 21:28 »
Its a great project! 

Every system I have entered details into says 115hp? Must be the mk2 with a little less. 
All in for the charger and all components/loom etc, has to be about £1000? Thats not really alot... 😊
Not sure how to upload pics from my phone.. Loads to do!! 😁👌

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2017, 21:35 »
Start a build thread.
You have to use photobucket or something

Offline Souchy1

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 19 March 2017, 16:15 »
Have tried that before.. will upload some pics when I can.lol
Anyway.. Soon as I am making progress I will let you know. Pics etc and info as soon as I can get some taken.. Cheers for all the help so far! 🖒☺